Mag love or hate?

Poppy

Flashaholic
40-something years ago, my dad used a 4D Mag as his go-to light while trucking. It was a light, baton for checking his tires and whacking things, and a defense weapon! I think he still has that light. 20+ years ago, I bought some 3Ds and various AA and AAA mini Mags because they were the lights to have then. I still have all of them too.

While shopping for new lights, I completely dismissed Mag from consideration. While they have "evolved" by offering LED, the basic design of their lights hasn't changed in decades. My biggest gripes with my Mags are how quickly they dim and how poor the beam pattern is from the twist adjustable head.
60 years ago, my dad did the same thing, 40 years ago I started carrying a 3D or 3C mag in my car. Many police officers carried a mag instead of a night-stick.
I just want to clarify that we are talking about incandescent mags. At the time... they were the best the market had to offer.
My wife and I want to replace a pair of 20+ year old 3 D-cell MagLites. They are just too big and I'm not happy with the uneven beam patterns. Plus the incandescent bulb/alkaline battery tech is just old-school now. <BIG___SNIP>
The above is snipped from another thread.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am on the like side for certain Maglite models. I have a mini-maglite that I converted to LED and will never go back to hot-wire in the mini . I have two of the 2 D cell models, one with a LED and the other is a hotwire, both have medium orange peel reflectors and AR lens. Their selling point is as long as you don't let the cells start leaking they are a rugged light for the price. I am of the "good light to mod and get much better results" viewpoint.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall I love them because they're super reliable (referring to C/D cell incads). They take abuse and work. They're not the brightest or prettiest beam but when you just need a light to work, they do, and if you looked around you could always find a good price on them somewhere. True beaters, other then my SF lights nothing else I had ever lasted as long.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I love Mini-Mag LED lights as loaners and toys for small childern. Everyone knows how to work one. If I never see it again, it's an annoyance not a big loss. The HDS and Surefire lights are just for me. MiniMags help keep it that way.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
Hell thinking about it I think a maglite is the perfect loaner light IMO. Think about it if its a person that would need to borrow a light then they probably like maglites anyways and if the haul of with it your out less than $20 xD I don't trust people with my things so I'd rather loan a $14 mag than a $100-500 SF or even a $40 SF like a G2

Tapis

Enlightened
I love Mini-Mag LED lights as loaners and toys for small childern.
I think Mags are quite outdated. I gave instead Fenix E05 to my children (3 and 7). But the light is a bit small for their hands, so I'm looking now for a 1xAA with several modes in the lower levels, from a firefly mode to a maximum output of about 50 lumens so they wouldn't blind anybody darmatically. Not sure if such light exists though.

Tapis

Enlightened
Yeah, but I personally never liked too much their look and it seems hard to innovate when you're stuck with the same recognizable shape.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but I personally never liked too much their look and it seems hard to innovate when you're stuck with the same recognizable shape.

What's amazing/ironic is that this iconic look that hasn't changed over the last 40 years is probably what's kept them in the home of almost every house in the USA. Similarly, it's what drives flashaholics away to smaller, brighter, better options.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've had major Q.C. issues with two Mini-Mags and a 3D model. The latter just completely falling apart on me while having done nothing but ridden underneath the front seat of my car for 3 years. (That was back when I wasn't a flashaholic. So had I needed it one night, I would have been royally screwed!). In fairness though, I had a 2C model with an early Mag LED drop-in that performed well at an old job I had while working as a security officer.

Don't hate the lights. But very little love from me for the creator and founder of the company. "Sue Happy" does not even come close to the sheer number of lawsuits that guy has filed over the decades. While some were indeed cut clear theft of Mag designs and products by competitors.... many were beyond idiotically frivolous. (At least in my opinion.)

What made me finished with buying their lights was finding out about the one filed against Arc for.... using printing along the bezel of their AAA model. The claim was that folks would mistake the Arc model for a Mag Solitaire. (Oh please. :rolleyes: Give me a break. Even more ridiculous than the claim, was the outcome of the case.) Last thing I want to do (despite being a Made in America company) is give my money to an individual who has that type of mentality.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like them but probably wouldn't buy a stock one just to have. Only see them as host's anymore. I have seen that the new ones are nice. However, fortunately or unfortunately for them, my old ones work just fine still.

kj2

Flashaholic
My first flashlight was a Maglite, and do still like them. Those new 3gen D lights have some great numbers :) But having so many lights, I don't see myself buying it soon.

condor22

Newly Enlightened
Neither, like the tough robust look, dislike the lumen produced. Used the 2AA as a work light until someone needed it more than I. Used a 3 D cell till worn worn out and never replaced. Looked at and gave some serious thought about buying a 4 D cell to mod with a drop-in............but! Can't seem to justify that now as I have smaller lighter lights using smaller and lighter batteries with better outputs. :)

akrapacs

Newly Enlightened
I can echo much of the same -- my first lights were Maglites and I've had many different variations. I never really had a problem with any of them and I never regretted purchases any of them. They all served their purpose well.

However once I discovered Fenix (which led me into the light enthusiast world) I immediately became aware of the complete lack of innovation from Maglite. I donated all of my Maglites to the salvation army and I'll never buy another one. Why would I when there are so many makers that are actually innovating and doing things that are very exciting. Many of these makers compete in the same price ranges with superior products.

I consider Maglite the equivalent of Gerber in the knife world -- you can buy the products at Walmart, Home Depot, outdoor department store chain, or anywhere pretty much. The products will serve its purpose and for the general masses will be satisfactory. But for an enthusiast the products are far too inferior, boring, and/or gimmicky.

Last edited:

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Love them, but mainly because they are cheap (enough that I consider most of their models as budget lights) and easy to mod.

I will say they are doing a better job of keeping their products up to date, as the 3rd Gen 2/3 D's now have XM-L2, and even the regular 2D now has an XPE2. The Minimag pro now has a XPG2 as well.

They need to seriously get on the ball with their website, though.

cjmorris

Enlightened
Totally irrelevant when you know what is available these days. I love to buy, use, play with , collect and see other people's lights. Maglite is only interesting if it's modded beyond recognition.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come full circle back to maglites again since they were favorites as a kid. The current 2aaa is especially good, & has simultaneously replaced both my Fenix e05 as an edc & 6p for around the house/general use at a fraction of the price.

Burgess

Flashaholic
FYI --

Mag Instrument was founded in 1955. The Maglite flashlight was introduced in 1979.

lovecpf

They will always have an important place in my nostalgic heart,
because I carried (EDC) a Mini-Maglite for years and years and years.
It served me very well, and improved my situation on countless occasions.

Here is my CPF story, from eight long years ago . . . .
Hope you read this.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?141266-My-very-first-Mini-Mag-light&highlight=

However --
I would certainly no longer consider buying a Mag product.

There are lots of BETTER choices now !

:thumbsup:
_