Mag love or hate?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the outside of the classic incan d and c mag, a timeless design and some nice colors. Don't love the impractical plastic switch housing on the inside (it's made out of plastic, has a high internal resistance, is way too big etc.). Don't love the reflector, because it's plastic and smooth (bulbs require op reflectors). Don't love the bulbs => pr bulbs are impractical. Hate the beam!

The newer LED versions have very bad heatsinking and use outdated LEDs.

Basically I only like modded D and C-Mags.

Last edited:

lumicycle

Newly Enlightened
Well, I found CPF while looking to replace a 20+ year old MiniMag with something more useful, so there's plenty I don't like. Comes on at flood with a ginormous donut and have to twist, twist, twist to get a useful spot. It's not very bright. Eats batts. However, I do like the simplicity (with all the circuitry and such, modern lights are becoming more like computers...some even have touch screens now :eek:), I like the size, shape, and feel of it, it's 20+ years old and still makes light when I twist the head, and candlelight mode. I'll keep it around just for that last one, during power outages and such. I'm pretty neutral on this one, but I think I own all I need of them.

gsr

Enlightened
I love Mag for what it is, a good product for the price paid (at least in the USA). I love the clean lines of the exterior. I love that they are still a US made product. I love that Mag has kept the retail cost of their product very close to what it was decades ago (I'm speaking of the incan lights) I love that they do offer LED lights that share the same classic lines of the incan lights, at not too large of a premium over the incan versions. I love the availability of most Mag products (at least in the USA). It is easy to hate on poor beam pattens, switches and bulbs that break, and the lack of the most advanced LEDs. Hovever, in my experience, Maglites make light when and where I want them to. How can I not love that?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Mag for what it is, a good product for the price paid (at least in the USA). I love the clean lines of the exterior. I love that they are still a US made product. I love that Mag has kept the retail cost of their product very close to what it was decades ago (I'm speaking of the incan lights) I love that they do offer LED lights that share the same classic lines of the incan lights, at not too large of a premium over the incan versions. I love the availability of most Mag products (at least in the USA). It is easy to hate on poor beam pattens, switches and bulbs that break, and the lack of the most advanced LEDs. Hovever, in my experience, Maglites make light when and where I want them to. How can I not love that?

gsr, I think you expressed my feelings perfectly!

shotgun8

Newly Enlightened
I remember getting a 3D Maglite back in the 80"s "it was the best light you could get" at least for a kid growing up in the days before the internet and monster LED's. It still works and serves it's purpose.

bright star

Newly Enlightened
I've had several Maglites I can't say I'm very impressed. Each one stopped working after a while and a little rubber button to turn it off and on always seem to fall off.