Mag625R-4d (full write up NEW PICS)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mag625R-4d (full write up PICS)

The only 'bummer' is that now MY mag625s aren't operational! Flakey had a special opportunity to show off lights this weekend so i made a deal with him to get them quickly, the only way i could do it was send my own copies. This way i get a 'fresh' driver :p

Yeah the tailcap resistor is a 'back to basics' solution.. rarely done on a flashlight pulling 9-10A, but often done on models pulling 3, so why not, the technology is old as dirt and works great. When i did the math and the overall efficiency still worked out to be over 95%.. higher than my BAM! or MiniMighty!.. i figured i don't really have a problem with that. It boils down to.. with a bunch more work i could get 2 more minutes runtime if i used the PIR.. an excellent alternative, but costs me about six times as much to use.

-awr

Delvance

Enlightened

Awr,

I'm using a tri-bored 3D host with 12 GP2000 cells in DD mode. As you said, the colour is not super white, but it's definitely liveable and really only yellows out when the batt pack is about depleted. Plus the yellower colour makes it better for outdoor use.

Waiting for 2 more paychecks (need to get the 3152 HID first mhmm) then going to get the 1/2D extender and one more GP2000 cell for 15+V at the lamp. I've measured 14+ at the pins with the current 12 cell setup. Plugging a 15.6V number into your hotrater shows 4200 torch lumens, can't wait to see!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

you make an EXCELLENT point about the lower CCT being actually MORE useful for outdoor use! GP2000s are the absolute bomb.. The only gripe i have about them is that the shrink wrap covers part of the neg. contact.. if you want a good solid contact you have to cut that off.

that's a really neat idea to put in a 13th cell.. it would seem you could possibly get it to fit w/o the extender if you cut the base of the magswitch, removed the spring and put the cell into the tailcap.. but it's very tight i think you're probably right in needing the extender.

I was surprised when i ran the 623 from the bench supply and did some lumen calculations.. it did end up with higher output than the 625, but it didn't appear to be the case.. i was using osram's stated values for starting point, so i was surprised since my ceiling bounce test both appeared to the eye and to my light meter to be less overall lumen.. maybe i had a borofloat on one and UCL on the other just to tilt things in the favor of the 625.

12 cells DD really is a sweet setup for the 623.. I think that lamp will out live both of us.. it's a really tough lamp.. it's really MEAN AS HELL on equipment.. i have to put an inline sense resistor some time to measure the startup spike.. it's ludicrous.. probably 50A.. it's high enough.. that limiting it to 25A takes soo long to start it blows FETS that are rated to handle 120-140W.. even have blown a couple rated to 220W!

keep us posted on the 623-13.. that will be a burner for sure.

-awr

Flakey

Enlightened
Added some new pics, enjoy, still working on getting more visually descriptive beamshots.

Delvance

Enlightened
Flakey said:
Funny story, i was out in the park last night, finishing a night hike, and i saw a guy walking his dog, we exchanged the basic pleasentries, Me: "How you doing this evening?"
walker: "Pretty good how about you?"
"Doing alright, I see you have the 3D cell maglight there"
"Yeah its a nice light" ::he proceeds to shine his light at a tree::
"Cool, i got the 4D maglight" :: i light up the tree and the entire park::
He stands there with his jaw drooping ....
Me: "Have a good night" :: walk away ::

Oh boy, he's going to rush out and buy a 4D Maglite, then he is going to be sorely dissappointed when it barely beats his 3D hehe. Good work Flakey...he's probably going to get his eyes check after the 4D fails him lol.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is sooooo funny.. love it. I absolutely love to bring a Mag100 somewhere and light up a basement or garage.. or back yard.. let somebody pull out there 4D or 6D mag.. and blow it away with a 2700L 3D maglite.

-awr

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
So the only thing that's stopping the general public about this mod is finding "D cell lithium ion batteries???":hairpull: :hairpull:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
pretty much 'that's the fact, jack'.. now.. a lower runtime, but more reliable and more efficient not to mention smaller solution is the tri-bore 3D light with 11xGP2000 cells.. they hold voltage better than LiON and the host is considerably smaller.

I bought over 2 doz of the D LiONs when i had the chance figuring it might just be the only chance of ever. When i found out i needed FIVE to run the IRC lamps i was very glad about that! Go check out my thread on the 3000L IRC lamps.

=awr

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang... that's impressive. I thought my ROP high was bright. Man... now that thing just made my ROP look like an unmodded minimag.

Latest posts