MagLite 2C/2D 4D 3W LED drop-in Technical Review

daf3m

Enlightened
As to the other upgrades you need the 3 cell upgrade (boost circuit) for 3 cell Mags and 4 cell upgrade (buck circuit) for 4 cell Mags. No switching around allowed.

Thank you for the straight answer :)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but i am afraid that the 4D would be slightly dim with 4.8V and below.
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm running the 4D MagLED module in my 3D MagLite and it works just fine. It's as bright as the 2D MagLED module in my 2D MagLite but if you run the 4D module on 2D you get moonlight mode. Keep in mind that I'm running NiMH cells almost exclusively. I have one in a 2D MagLite right now being fed a single 18650 Li-Ion cell and it is plenty bright.

daf3m

Enlightened
All-right ..but as i have previously mentioned ,what happens when you can only have 4 alkalines instead of 4 Ni-Mh and a 3d Mag-LED module is installed.I suppose circuitry is pushed to the limits if not destroyed.Taking a further step would you rely on a whole-night use of your Mag?

I guess LEDninja is right :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My, but that IS a sticky wicket...

I'm on the road, so I can't experiment. I would try a 4 cell module on three nimh if I were home.

I SHALL be home this weekend if nothing happens to ***** the deal, and I will get back at that time.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Did get home for a couple days.

Found my 3D NimH light and tried those batts against a 4 cell Magled. It lights it up but it is pretty dim compared to 4 Alks.

I need to and probably will try the experiment again in a 3 cell Mag. I have the 4 cell in an old Streamlight Excalibre 5D with 4 alk and spacer.

I'll try to get back to that before going on the road again.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In a 3D Mag with 3AA Nimh in C size adapters and a short bolt to make up the difference....

It seems to be while not blinding, certainly as good or better than a stock incandescent Mag.

I'll try three Alk D if I can come up with three. Give me a minute.

No apparent dif between 3AA NimH and 3D Alk.

I could leave the light like this and my family would probably never notice the difference.

It is two different lights with different reflectors. I'm not SURE the 3 Cell Magled in the test light running on 3 NimH AA is ALL THAT MUCH brighter than the 4 Cell on 4D Alk in the Streamlight.

You must remember, these are simple Luxeon LEDs in these Magleds so none of them are ultra bright.

The Rebel 2D I got is handily brighter than ANY of the Luxeon models.

Last edited: