Maglite 6D mod?

Timson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
You will not be able to fit 8 C cells in a 6D Mag.

Sigbjoern

[/ QUOTE ]

I still recon you could..........

working on these measurements
D cells - 60mm long
C cells - 48mm long

6X60 = 360mm
8x48 = 384mm .....Thats 24mm extra length with c cells.

I have a 2D mag that has 3C cells in it....
2xD cells = 120mm
3xC cells = 144mm .....Thats 24mm extra length again, so the 8 C cell thing ought to work.

Tim

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim, the space available in a Mag body is 60*CellCount+13. I have measured my NiMH C cells and the AccuPower and Powerex cells are 50.5mm while the CTA cells are 50mm. Various alkalines measures between 49.5 and 50mm. So the space available in a 6D mag should be 373mm while 8 AccuPower cells will measure 404mm.

Sigbjoern

Delghi

Enlightened
I am thinknig about these two alternatives:

Osram HLX 64265 - bi-pin CTA batteries: MPV=6.9V, Bulb lumens=1247, Torchlumens=811, Runtime=108 minutes, Lamp life=18 hours

Pelican Big D SLA bulb - potted
With CTA batteries: MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=1055, Torch lumens=686, Runtime=129 minutes, Lamp life=unknown

I would like to avoid overiding the bulb too much so I'm choosing the CTA batteries wich of the above configurations is less overridden? Could you please estimate the life time of the Pelican Big D SLA with CTA batteries?

Thanks guys I hope to mod my Maglite soon

p.s.
the available space in the flashlight is 374mm but with the spring it would decrease

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some searching, but I could only find the lamp life spec for the Big D Nicad version which is 30 hours, but it is proably safe to assume the SLA version has the same lamp life. The rerated lamp life then becomes 4 hours, so it is no longer a recommended setup when we see the short lifetime.

When the batteries are fully loaded and you turn on your light, then the voltage will be much higher than then quoted MPV I gave you. I think different bulbs will handle this differently even if rated the same life time, so there is no guarantee that a heavily overdriven bulb will not instantflash when you turn it on. It is therefore alway a good idea to rest the batteries for an hour after charging so the voltage drops a bit.

Using CTA will overdrive less than AccuPower (and is therefore less prone to instantflashing) and gives longer runtime than Powerex (which overdrives the same as CTA), so they should be a very good choice unless you later wants to use the WA1274 for longer runtime, then AccuPower should be the obvious choice. Who knew it could be so difficult to put together a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I see that Fivemega now sells some special made axial bulbs that can be used in this setup, I will try to get some specs I can use for rerating. Axial bulbs gives a rounder and nicer beam, but doesn't throw so far.

Sigbjoern

Delghi

Enlightened
I bought a cammed LOP reflector, a Bi-bin socket kit, and Borolenses.

I am about to buy the Osram bulb and CTA batteries but I'm wating to know more about Fivemega 7.2 bulb

Any news?

Thanks David

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Delghi, but Fivemega did not have a lumen rating for the bulb, but it will be safe to run it on that battery setup since it takes a lot of overdrive according to Fivemega (he has run it on 8AA). I'm getting one of these bulbs myself, but it will take some time before I get to compare it to other bulbs (i.e. WA1111 and WA1274). Hopefully someone can beat me to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif But from its power consumption (3.3A) I expect it to be somewhere between WA1274 and WA1111 in brightness.

Sigbjoern

Delghi

Enlightened
So I got everthing but the batteries I live in Europe and I had problems getting the batteries you suggested me.
I have found on ebay Titanium 11000 mah D cells with charger and tester (from Amondotech)

what do you think about them could they be valid for my setup?

Thanks

Latest posts