Maglite ML25LT "3C" cell

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed. So somewhere like that do you find the 3C ML25 more useful than say the ML50?

For me, the ML25 was better at pointing out an object to dump truck drivers like an overhead wire than my similar sized Streamlight Stinger that lit up so much area at once the drivers did not see the particular hazard as easily.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both seem to me to put out the same amount of light, but the ml50 is more spread out and has a brighter spill.
As far as lighting things off in the distance they both seem to light things up similar. Now up close the ml25 is almost too bright with it's hot spot
unless I adjust it out, but the ml50 lights up more ground if that makes any since. If I had to make a choice I really don't know which one I'd pick, but all
I can say is the 173 lumens the ml25 3c puts out kicks butt. I bet their both similar in candella(sp?). Am I over analizing or rambling?-lol. I guess what I'm saying is
the ml50 does better at short to midrange although it can go long range and the ml25 (and 3d mag-168 lumens) does their thing long range, but can also be used short range.

Less glare from the spill of the ml25 can help you see farther and better though.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I get what you mean.

When I first discovered LED flashlights I preferred narrow beams to those that spread out light as they allowed me to see farther away. Everything was going to lots more flood beams and that was screwing up my side vision. When Maglite introduced the ML25 I thought they were the best new flashlight in a long time.

Eventually I picked up an ML50 and 300. Both are great at what they do and I really like medium and low modes with those. But when it was said the 2 cell ML25 for 2019 was updated from 12k candela to 28k and now has low? 7 hours on high. Low appears to be about as bright as an old 4D light too. I bought two at my local Wal Mart. Still $20.

And scarce right now but be on the lookout for updated classic 2D lights that tout a bit over 200 Mag throw lumens with a low. Same mechanical switch and everything. Grainger is the only place I've seen those thus far but I keep checking Wal Marts.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both seem to me to put out the same amount of light to me, but the ml50 is more spread out and has a brighter spill.
As far as lighting things off in the distance they both seem to light things up similar. Now up close the ml25 is almost too bright with it's hot spot
unless I adjust it out, but the ml50 lights up more ground if that makes any since. If I had to make a choice I really don't know which one I'd pick, but all
I can say is the 173 lumens the ml25 3c puts out kicks butt. I bet their both similar in candella(sp?). Am I over analizing or rambling?-lol. I guess what I'm saying is
the ml50 does better at short to midrange although it can go long range and the ml25 (and 3d mag-168 lumens) does their thing long range, but can also be used short range. Less glare up close
(when looking off a ways) and can see farther and better because of that.

I agree.

The ML25 spot is great for distance and it's huge, but just bright enough spill for close up without totally killing your natural night vision. I like the ML25's beam pattern better than the ML50, though the 50 is sometimes better at medium distances and it as the option to switching down to the 20 ish lumen Eco mode which is about perfect for up close and will run near forever before you need to change batteries. I don't have a 2 mode ML25 as of yet, but I get the impression that the low mode is higher than the eco mode on the 50? I know this is the case on the new 2 mode 2nd gen 2D Mag LED - the low mode is too high on this one, seems to be around 50+ lumens.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xxo, sounds like you have one of those new 2d mags already. I'd like to try one out--they're supposed to be throwers with
an intense hotspot--even the 168 lumen 3d was/is good at that from what I read. Fellow in a review tried to put a hook on his
line while fishing and he said it was too bright like a spotlight. Bykfixer, I saw those new mags (2d classic) at Target for around $33.
I would have been tempted to buy it if I had the money. My wife would probably fuss though....or take it over lol.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The new 2D classic low setting is definitely not for reading, unless it's an unlit billboard 50 feet away.

It seems as though Maglite chose a low output of about 50-75% of full output. With both the new 2D classic and 2C ML25.
When I turn it to low, half the time I wondee is it on low? Change modes and realize yeah it was on low.

Now when shining on objects 200+ feet away it's easy to tell as what was brightly lit is now dimly lit. But from 100 feet or less you hardly notice the difference.

The 3C is yet to get an upgrade so far. That one with an upgrade should become an even more outstanding flashlight.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how many mag updated, but I know of 3 so far. I just wonder what kind of color temp the new ones have.
I read on here some where that the new mini mag pro puts out a cooler temp--I'd rather have the old one. My wife has one she
bought about a year ago and it seems like a pleasant neutral white. I also like the color temp on my ml25 3c. I don't mind them
improving on things, I just don't want them messing things up while improving. Going cooler is like going backwards to me. Most manufactorers are
leaning towards neutral white nowadays. I wonder if making them cooler is the reason for the increase in lumens on the new mini mag pro.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xxo, sounds like you have one of those new 2d mags already. I'd like to try one out--they're supposed to be throwers with
an intense hotspot--even the 168 lumen 3d was/is good at that from what I read. Fellow in a review tried to put a hook on his
line while fishing and he said it was too bright like a spotlight. Bykfixer, I saw those new mags (2d classic) at Target for around $33.
I would have been tempted to buy it if I had the money. My wife would probably fuss though....or take it over lol.

Yeah it's a thrower, but the low mode is too close to full power - if you have trouble telling low from high what's the point of having the low mode? - 20 to 30 lumens like Mag has on the ML50's is perfect (I even think the 50 something lumens on the ML300 eco mode is a bit too high).

A weird thing I noticed on the 2 mode 2D Mag is that it has a comet shaped hot spot like on many of the old incan Mags - I always thought this must have been caused by the old incan bulbs, but apparently not?

Overall, the new 2 speed 2ED is not that much of a upgrade from the older 168 lumen single mode Mag 2nd gen LEDs. I wish they went with the newer ML300 type set up with the lighter weight tube, quick focus and the electronic switch but set up in function set 3 - momentary, full power and eco with the XP-E series LED. The old incan set up is has pretty much obsolete for LEDs considering they have the new ML50/300 system worked out so well.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how many mag updated, but I know of 3 so far. I just wonder what kind of color temp the new ones have.
I read on here some where that the new mini mag pro puts out a cooler temp--I'd rather have the old one. My wife has one she
bought about a year ago and it seems like a pleasant neutral white. I also like the color temp on my ml25 3c. I don't mind them
improving on things, I just don't want them messing things up while improving. Going cooler is like going backwards to me. Most manufactorers are
leaning towards neutral white nowadays. I wonder if making them cooler is the reason for the increase in lumens on the new mini mag pro.

The new MM pro's tint is a disappointment - I like the older 272 lumen version better and the ML25's much better than either. I don't much like C cell alkalines, but the ML25's can be run on AA's in a home made spacer tube or even on 18650's in a adapter (I 3D printed mine) and Soshine NiMH C cells work pretty good as well.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like I wouldn't like the new classic led mag then. I wish they stayed with the xpe with the small intense hotspot. I didn't mind the luxon rebel in
the old 2d led. Tried to get it back from my brother in law when the rubber cover was lost causing to switch to go bad. Now it's worse--batteries went bad, very bad, and even leaked down onto the
led. He still won't come off of it. I told him if he ever desides to throw it away just led me know.
To be honest I regret getting rid of it, but didn't figure I needed it anymore since I was climbing that ol lumen latter.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it does have a XP-E of some sort. Those old Rebels usually had pretty good tints. I quit spinning my wheels chasing lumens - beam pattern, throw and tint are what matters.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To me the new 2D classic is a minor upgrade from the 177 one. The update went nearly all to throw. Huge change? No not really but side by side you will notice the farther throw. Otherwise it's very similar to the 177 version. The low seems like they just throttle back to 3rd gear from fourth. Much more runtime while remaining about as throwy as the ML25 thanks to the larger reflector.

The new ML25 is similar. It's like they added a fifth gear with a third gear low. Again, noticable amount of additional throw with a low that adds a bunch of runtime while still remaining pretty bright.

Maglite search and rescue style flashlights.

The new minimag packs a lot of punch but the additional output is seemingly all in the spill. If you've never had the 272 version and the store has 300's then go for that. But if you have a 272 and the store doesn't have the 300's, no need to sweat it.

Unknown to many, they updated the incan version of the ML25 from. 20 lumens to 30 in the 2 cell version. The 3 cell was already 30.

Me? I'm hoping to see a warm 2D classic and ML25IT

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bykfixer for the information on those new lights. I'd also like to see a ww version.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a side note here for any interested readers. It has been mentioned before but photography lighting gels/filters can be used to improve the tint on many cool white LEDs.Since most of the Mags still have replaceable lenses it is an easy mod. I would prefer a good neutral/warm LED in the Mags but in the absence of that option the filters have worked nicely for me.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee Zircon filters can manage the heat produced from LEDs. 805 and 804 will be the ones you want to look at. They are a good compromise for letting most of the light through and getting rid of some of the green cast.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Lee filters. Having so many lights I purchased the Daylight to Tungsten Filter Lighting Pack. I don't think my sheets are the zircon ones twistedraven mentioned but the LED Mags I have don't seem to generate that much heat anyway.

The Lee Swatch Book is a reasonably priced way to see what particular filter works best for you since it has the full range of colors but it doesn't provide much material in each sample and you only get one of each color. The samples are big enough for a Mini-Mag filter but not for the C or D cell Mags. The Swatch Book can also provide some additional fun since it has many different colors to try.

EDIT- The Swatch Book samples are probably just barely wide enough to use on the ML25 C cells but there is no room for error if you cut one out.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the ml100 is kind of old and has less lumens, but I've been intrigued by it. I kinda wonder how its beam pattern or rather hotspot compairs to the ml25. If the ml100 had an xpe even at a hundred plus lumens wouldn't it throw a smaller hotspot farther or just as far as a ml25 with an xpg?

Last edited: