Maglite ML25LT "3C" cell

bykfixer

Flashaholic
During my annual March Magness acquisition this year I considered clicking on the add to cart for the 100 but opted for the Maglite inkpen by Cross for the pen collection.
I considered the same thing green pond and decided since I have the ML25 already but not the inkpen, the ML100 would be another dust collector after a few uses.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't blame you. I might buy the new 2c ml25 or the new mini mag pro instead someday Lord willing. I always wanted a 3d led 168 lumen mag, but never got one. I'm running out of places to put them. My wife was in walmart yesterday and called me at work telling me that they got some more mags in. What surprised me was she talked like she wanted to buy one with our grocery/supply money. Wow, I thought I'd be the only impulse buying flashaholic in the family, but I think she's got the bug now also.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the ml100 is kind of old and has less lumens, but I've been intrigued by it. I kinda wonder how its beam pattern or rather hotspot compairs to the ml25. If the ml100 had an xpe even at a hundred plus lumens wouldn't it throw a smaller hotspot farther or just as far as a ml25 with an xpg?

I think(?) the ML100 and ML25 both have xpe's of some sort, the ML125 had a xpg. The ML100 beam is similar but the ML25 is brighter with a better tint. The ML100 was pretty good when it came out in in 2011/2 but it is kinda dated now, it was the ML50's granddaddy, but the ML50 is much improved.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks xxo, looks like I missed out on it at a time when I would have appreciated it more. I have the ml50 now and like it. It is bright with sunbeam heavy duty cells in it. Looking foward to putting some rayovac alkalines in it to experience it to it's full potential. Been wanting the 168 lumen 3d, but I don't guess I need it. Thanks to bykfixer and his beamshots I at least have an ideal what it can do though. I think the ml25 3c I already have will be used more than that 3d and it would probably just collect dust if I had it. It keeps calling from waaay off though.....temptation :shakehead

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to thinking and I don't think I actually gave the ml25 3c a proper review. I like the light and don't regret buying it. The head is looser than the 2c version, but it makes it easier to turn on with one hand. The threads on the tailcap were rougher than the 2c, but a little vasoline smoothed everything out quite well and even made the threads on the head smoother. It is the only flashlight that I ever remember scratching the lense while in my pocket. It feels good and man is it bright--too bright for close up work which I found out the hard way when working on a 2d mag switch. I don't think it's good for a person's eyes to use it any closer than 10 or better yet 15ft to be honest even though I know it is adjustable. I didn"t want to order online because of shipping charges and I couldn't find it in stores, but I finally found it at target. A year later I bought it. It was silver--I would have taken it in any color than that, but I wanted it for that 18 hour runtime so I went on ahead and bought it. It doesn't seem to have quite as much qc on the threads as the 2c ml25. I'm just being honest--I feel like the 2c version was a cadillac and the 3c is a chevy. I do like it though and probably won't be as picky with it. It is like a small user frindly spotlight and it would probably be a very good light for coon hunting and can hold its own against lights with 3x the lumens. It's like a rifle (30-30) and the ml50 is like a 20 guage magnum shotgun with an extra tight turkey choke as far as beam pattern goes. The tint on the 3c is slightly warmer than the nw tint on the 2c, but you can't tell it unless you do a side by side bounce off of something white.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did a runtime on the 2C and 3C and found the 2C was rock solid output regulation for a bit over 2 hours then dimmed slowly enough to go find some new batteries (like 15 minutes to dim) where the 3C ran pretty bright with gradual dimming to about 50% at nearly 18 hours, then a similar dimming as the 2C was noted.

I use regular eneloops in my original 2C that gets used occasionally for a brief time of a minute or so when used. The 3C is for when I need to use the light a few minutes or more at a time. I like how ultralight the 2C is with eneloop fuel.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bykfixer, I think your contributions to this forum concerning the ml25 helped me decide on actually buying the first one. I was impressed at how well the 2c held its own against the ml50 and how it ran down just like Yall said it would. The solitaire IS very useful, but I never liked that cutting out it did when the battery got weak. My hat is off to anyone though that makes a light that will give me a good heads up that the battery is weak and slowly fade out even if it has a short runtime. Even the heat sink on that thing looks heavy duty. Both the 2c and the 3c ml25s are really heavy duty flashlights/mini spotlights. People can say what they want about maglights, but when Tony got serious about stepping up his game he also got very creative at the same time. If mags are for the common folks then I guess I'm just common. Don't get me wrong, I do like other lights, but mag has everything I need in their veriety of flashlights

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did not mean to cause you to spend money. lol.

But if you insist, I'll tell you instead of another Maglite try this little $3.99 wonder.
F325-E9-E4-E574-49-A7-B2-F0-1104650-A88-A2.jpg

Wal Mart sells them.
It's 3 measly lumens so it won't tax your eyeballs like those 30+ lumen little lights. Yet it has a magnifier globe over the tip like in the old days where a #224 bulb threw as well as much brighter/larger lights. At 2am it won't cause you to say holy crap turn out that *** thing, but will cast a beam the length of your home with ease.
Oh, it's got an ugly blue ring around the full moon beam and it's not very sturdy like a Maglite but from what you have described as your uses it may be a go to light pretty often.
I've been using one for about 2 years now.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seen them in walmart, but I didn't know how they were. I have the 1aaa by rayovac that is the size of the e01 where you have to tighten the head to turn it on and the head comes off and so does the tail cap. It also has a magnifier on it. It throws more concentrated light than the e01 and I think it has the same nichia led. I'm on my second one--I gave the first to a friend. It was all beat up and actually fell into the fan of a running engine that I just put 2 head gaskets on using only that little light with a whole bunch of light pollution. When my in laws work on vehicles they really light it up at night, but it makes me have to use a brighter flashlight to see by. The e01 wouldn't have worked, but that tiny rayovac did the job. I believe they also put out good stuff and I wish walmart would still sell rayovac bulbs, but I guess those days are gone. I also have the rayovac industrial 2d incan. I think I actually had a pen light like that 15 or 16 years ago and liked it--it was my bedside light and I think it was led. If my memory is correct it also has a red laser also that was fun to play with lol. My wife has one that is a red laser now and I like agitating the baby chickens with it. It drives them crazy till they outgrow their fear of it. I want to say that I like high lumens when looking up in trees and off in the distance, but for just general purpose 9-30 lumens is enough for me. 3 lumems might be alright though in a rayovac because they always seemed to get the most out of lower lumens. I wish maglite would use the same reflector as the old rayovac industrial did--energizer is using that on their adjustable beam flashlights now.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C draws a lot of current for alkalines to the point that you would probably get better run time on AA L91 ultimate lithium energizers for about the same cost as alkaline C's - plus the ultimate lithiums are much lighter and don't leak! AA Eneloops also work great in the 2C ML25 as do soshine and tenergy NiMH C cells - I even run mine on a 18650 in a 3D printed adapter, this probably over drives it a bit, but I have not noticed any over heating.

18650's are even better in the 3C's as the Voltage is about perfect.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to look into rechargables. My only experience with them is when my dad used 2d rechargables in a maglite a good while back. He recharged them with a varible power supply that would also charge a car battery. I'm sure those recent ones are way better. I think he got his from radio shack.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
These are not your fathers rechargeables.
Boy I've been waiting a long time to say that. (reference to the old "not your fathers Oldsmobile" comercial?……)

Anyway I use some C sized called Imedion that are pricey but worth the cost. They hold a charge much like eneloops instead of for 2-3 weeks like big greenponds probably did.
I use aa eneloops with a C to aa adapter because they make it so light you think you forgot to put batteries in it.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to look into rechargables. My only experience with them is when my dad used 2d rechargables in a maglite a good while back. He recharged them with a varible power supply that would also charge a car battery. I'm sure those recent ones are way better. I think he got his from radio shack.

AA Eneloops are a great way to get into rechargeables, you can run them in C cell lights with a simple home made spacer tubes or in D cell lights with 3 AA to D parallel adapters.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those costco eneloop packs are a pretty sweet deal. The charger they give you is a real nice basic charger plus you get the C and D cell adapters.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy eneloop packs with adapters.
Actually they sell kits with a charger, C cell and D cell adapters. The costco kit is extra sweet. :cool:

Those costco eneloop packs are a pretty sweet deal. The charger they give you is a real nice basic charger plus you get the C and D cell adapters.

+3 The Costco eneloop kits are a good deal!