Maglite....why?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back in the early CPF days when the LED was in its infancy the Maglite and SureFire brands were wrestling for king of the heap.
Folks were hotwiring Maglites while SureFire was downsizing the potent abilities of an electric candle.

Funny how both are seen as passe' these days. Maglite and SureFire are still both built in the US from domestic parts and some imported. Other companies like Pelican and Streamlight opted for production in Asian factories to stay competitive.

Actually I see Maglite trying more practical applications with their upgrades that kind of add a new twist on old favorites like their spectrum series that adds colored output to some classic models. SureFire seems to be trying to reinvent itself using previous ideas disguised as new ones.

Neither is wrong in my view as they attempt to compete in a very crowded field of weekly updates on even less expensive lights. Both seem to be trying to hang onto their base market.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are their base market bykfixer. By that I mean that as older fellows the maglite has a certain charm to it from the past. When our generation
is gone, so will be their main customer base. The younger generation don't take to mags like generation x-ers and baby boomers do. Mag is trying to bridge the gap,
but when it is all said and done their main customers are probably 45+. On the surefires, I never seen one in the stores or used one. I used to see them advertised in hunting magazines along with streamlight. I always counted them as gun lights the
way they were advertised. I guess I missed out on surefire when they first became popular or I would probably feel the same way about them as I do about maglites, but the price would have given me an attitude unless I saw what they could do. Unless it was quality auto parts I wouldn't spend a premium on hardly anything. Why maglite? Why not? They still have good stuff and they are made in America. Too bad they aren't made in Alabama though, but at least they aren't made across the pond lol.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the early days of Maglite (circa 1980) they were very expensive compared to the Rayovacs, Evereadys and Bright Stars of the time. About $20 versus $4? But the switch worked flawlessly everytime and the beam could be tailored to toss those candle bright beams a helluva lot further than the conventional light of the time. They had a reputation as being a cop light yet they were popular with diesel mechanics and home owners. Tony Maglica had developed a rounder wheel in a sense.

Folks now days use smaller, brighter flashlights. But in my line of work I see the D sized Maglites still used enough to know when these folks need a rock solid reliable light to last a good long time between fuel source changes the old classic is still the choice for them. Rescue workers and fire personell often opt for smaller than D sized lights for practical reasons. Portability means they can have more tools on their person at any given time as they are tasked with the unknown situation. It's kinda like Batman and the Bat utility belt. Batman would probably carry a really small nuclear powered flashlight instead of a 3D Maglite these days. Perhaps a triple a minimag.

SureFire was developed by a person who had military application in mind from day 1. Dr John Matthews took the relatively new SLR camera battery (the CR123a) as a fuel source and turned it into something entirely different than it's conventional use. At 3 volts each, when paired end to end it was able to produce a light output of a much larger flashlight yet be able to be carried in a trouser pocket. He developed bulb technology that is still a secret today. He and his engineers devised a more durable bulb fastener setup as well. They also developed better batteries.

Now they both had all their eggs in the light bulb basket when LED technology went from a novelty to something more useable. By that time things in the market had changed as well. Cheaper, brighter flashlights made in Hong Kong were starting to show up on store shelves. History was repeating. Does the consumer prefer a $20 Maglite with a light bulb or a $6 LED light? And SureFire were still way more expensive plus harder to come by.

Streamlight was taking large slices of the Maglite and SureFire pie too. Their rechargeable cop lights the SL 20 and Strion were being purchased in large quantities by local and state government agencies. Pelican had also entered the market with lights aimed at professionals and they had a good reputation from their waterproof products.

Maglite and SureFire were seemingly slow in their development of new technology. In the fast paced world that led to less sales. But both stuck to their core philosophy of providing long lasting products, so their R&D process took longer to send out updates. By the time their upgrades came to market they were already behind in terms of output. The market had become more accustomed to better for less money. Smaller and brighter were the norm and cheaper was expected.

Streamlight and Pelican outsoured overseas to keep up. Tony and Dr John did not. Maglite and SureFire have both downsized due to that. Maglite has mainly stayed in house for most of their production where SureFire has outsourced locally for parts of their construction due to crushing environmental regulations in California. Another reason many companies have opted for overseas production. Yet they are a pair of companies who can fulfill the made in USA (from US parts when available) contract language, which is putting them ahead of the competition in a few places.

So here in 2019, when there is an entire generation who see a giant screen television as a video game screen, speak to each other through texts and skype messaging and use a celphone for a flashlight a Maglite is foreign to them.

They say dozens, if not hundreds of people killed on 911 may have made it out of the building if more people had a flashlight to light up the crowded stair ways. I know several people who say they've carried a flashlight on their keychain or in their pocket since then. The Maglite Solitaire and triple a minimag sales probably went up with gen x-ers and baby boomers. Tragically finding a Solitaire LED in box stores lately is like finding an honest man in congress.

Mechanics have switched to Snap On flashlights or those 2 for $19.99 atomic junk. Police are carrying Streamlight Stingers now and first responder folks are big on NiteCore products. Special ops and other armor wearing proffesionals still opt for SureFire or Elzetta products. Some carry HDS lights too.

When I mention new upgrades to my tactical light carrying breatheren they either roll their eyes or yawn. But when I show them to family and friends they ask "where can I get one?" It usually ends up they tell me how many Maglites they've tossed due to battery leakage. Newer Maglites still tout using alkaline batteries. And not many people want to have to locate the batteries they removed from their Maglite when a storm suddenly cuts off the lights. So they just leave them in the light. SureFire have always used leak free batteries. So very few were tossed from damage due to battery leak.

I use Rayovac batteries in my Maglites when sticking with alkalines. So far so good. I think Maglite would find it worth the cost to develop a line of LiPo4 batteries for their classic shaped, non rechargeable lights. They may be doing just that as their ML150 touts that technology in that rechargeable lght. They could go the way of Streamlight and add a USB charge point for perhaps a rechargeable version of the classics. The rechargeable fuel source is here to stay. No doubt about that. Yet with "green" this and "green" that everywhere Maglite could take advantage of the more earth friendly technologies.

I could be wrong here but I believe Maglite has stayed away from rechargeables because of the potential explosion reputation of rechargeables. Mostly a myth these days but not long ago it was a big issue that has led to many gen x-ers and baby boomers staying away from rechargeable batteries… except they plug up their flip phones each day with no thought about it.

I still support Maglite because their lights do a good job at working when I need them to and they're easy to use. It is also nice to pick up one in a physical store. I've been hoping to see spectrum series lights at my local box store but so far that hasn't happened.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I forgot to mention that the cell phone lights really hurt flashlight sales, but you said it--been thinking that a while. Way back in 2013 when I was looking at an ol truck one of the fellows were using their cell phone light to see under the hood.
I also use rayovac alkalines. I like them and they are cheaper. The other day I found my old ever ready 2d from probably 2008. Still worked--a little and it had rayovac alkalines in it from probably 9 years ago and they hadn't leaked.
I just fixed another 2d mag and I left it incandescent. Took 2 switches and made one. I really like that light--dude, it is bright after scraping those contacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've seen what you mean greenpond. Bright as in a dull yellow, near dead battery looking output to a "oh so this is what they're capable of" nice bright output by cleaning contact points, which lowers the resistance from a few ohms to less than one at times.

The older pre-Maglite setup became corroded over time. A bit of De-Oxit or Tarn-X could make my ohm meter do a happy dance after I was done. I restored a bunch of vintage flashlights that had sat in granpas attic somewhere in America for 75 years. Some did not work at all even though the copper contacts looked ok. Some burned dimly. A q-tip cleaning usually got the non working ones going and the dim ones nice n bright. Ok, instead a flickering surrounded by wax ready to snuff out candle look to holy crap, 5 birthday candles bright……
Or in the case of a Maglite all 20 lumens.

A lady my wife works with asked me to get a 2C going again. The bulb was burnt but… the switch was less than reliable. I disassembled it and saw all kinds of tarnish inside. Never having disassembled a Mag switch before I had trouble figuring out the order of things upon reassembly. I swapped in a new switch.

See, Maglite used to supply repair shops with kits. A kit came with like ten old style switches, ten new style, 12 lenses, 8 springs etc etc. I found a kit for C/D size at eBay for like $35. I also scooped up a minimag repair kit. So I ended up putting a new factory lens, new o'rings, spring and switch in that 90 something year old ladies light and gave it to my wife to return with instructions on how to take the spare bulb out of the tailcap and swap it into the light. I also donated 3-twin packs of bulbs.

Later I figured out how to reassemble the old switch, took it back apart to clean the metal and installed it into a 1980's light I had bought with a stuck battery. The light was mint on the outside but alkaleak from the top battery had murdered the switch assembly.

Last night I watched the movie "they shall never grow old" which is actual footage from world war 1 showing various events in the life of some British soldiers. While showing the footage there were voices of the soldiers in the footage describing what it was like for them on a daily basis. Really cool movie if you like that sort of stuff. Anyway, at times they'd show night footage and you could see just how bright a flashlight was in those days. I mean nothing like today, but for the time it was pretty amazing how well the new electric candle lit up a given area. Those scenes alone caused me to think the purchase price of the movie was worth it. Instead of wondering how bright a 1917 2C flashlight was capable of I saw actual footage and realized some of my old lights aint anywhere near as bright as they were when brand new.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are their base market bykfixer. By that I mean that as older fellows the maglite has a certain charm to it from the past. When our generation
is gone, so will be their main customer base. The younger generation don't take to mags like generation x-ers and baby boomers do. Mag is trying to bridge the gap,
but when it is all said and done their main customers are probably 45+.

Maglite sure does sound a lot like Harley Davidson when you put it that way! :grin2:

I think the general trend is going towards smaller lights since LEDs have increased run time and brightness. I'm a die hard Maglite fanatic but my light that gets the most use? Lumintop AAA Tool. Small package, 3 levels of brightness, good run time. The Solitaire should have been updated years ago to this same package. I hope that Maglite continues to expand their small LED lights. The Mag Tacs and XLs were definitely a step in the right direction.

I think there's also a market to be captured with millenials based on nostalgia. When was Maglite's heyday? Late 80s & all of the 90s. They need to step up their product placement. The 80s and 90s nostalgia is running high right now. Just look at Stranger Things on Netflix. Mag could have and should have begged and pleaded for them to include Maglites in that show and all these others that are taking place in the 80s and 90s. Heck, they could even pull out the old heritage card and make some retro models. Re-introduce the Vari-Beam, 7 Cells, warm LEDs. Do a retro type marketing and bring current lights to market as well.

I think the Harley Davidson isnt yet a fair comparison but should serve as a warning. You cant rest on your laurels. Sure HD has come out with new bikes now but it's generally regarded as too little too late. Harley forgot what made them popular in the first place. Cool, small, simple, and inexpensive bikes. Mag needs to do the same: Keep the DNA alive but push towards a premium, durable light that consumers want.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Harley began to gain favor with the American middle class when fashion dictated tattoos, mustache/goatee look and a little diamond or hoop in the left ear. No longer the chain gang special, the new crop of a Harley owners were labeled "Hells Accountants" by those setting on the sideline watching the local clean cut eye doctor grow his hair out, get him a mid-life crisis "born to be free" tattoo on his ankle and start riding a $35,ooo motorcycle.

NASCAR heros like Harry Gant and Kyle Petty played a role too. Instead of notoriiously evil people riding in packs on Harleys it developed into clubs for charity rides. Even Ford made Harley edition pickup trucks, and every 3rd house in suburbia had a Harley in the garage.

The Honda Gold Wing was replaced by a Harley in America. The real bikers got pretty pissed off and started buying vintage Triumphs, BMW's or Indians. True hot rod motorcycles resulted. That led to the Hulk Hogan, Shaq custom bike thing and TV shows highlighted money no object customs made by non hoodlum die-hard bikers. The kind of people who work hard and play harder.

Like Maglites, there is still an undeniable market for the Harley. Awesome flat track racers too. But they've passed their peak. And it really hurt them when they announced parts would be made overseas. Nobody wants to pay $350+ for a saddle bag for the Harley logo that has a made in China tag inside. Like from the tv show Happy Days when Fonzy jumped the shark tank Harley jumped the shark with that decision.

Thusfar Maglite has stuck to the core priciple of reliable, American built lighting tools.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a couple Harley's so I shouldn't knock them and I would still own a vintage one. Until then I own basically the metric version of a Harley. Still cheaper than a Sportser!

m0vKMWe.jpg

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought about mag being the harley of flashlights, but I guess you're right when I think about it.
I used to work for a company that got by with the least amount of employees and didn't encourage new business when old customers died off or were lost. The company was finally sold off
to one of the existing customers. Mag might just be improving so they will go out with a bang instead of a whimper. Tony Maglita (sp?) is getting on up in age and his two sons by his original wife are supposed to inherit
the company after he passes on, but he doesn't know how that will turn out, so I think he is just letting business slowly die/drop off while at the same time improving his product and increasing value by
not advertising or bowing to big box stores wanting everything on the cheap just because they have all that buying power. Tony's not playing ball with them or anyone else it seems. When you have to mass produce to cater to the big box stores and sell more because you are getting less for your product you are doing yourself, your product and your employees a disservice. If he didn't pull out he'd also have to stoop to having his product made in china. Also he'd have to bring in the bean counters to cheapen his product even more so he could make a profit. He is holding his head high and is probably living comfortably on way less than he used to.
Mag is still popular enough that if people can't find them they will seek them and find their website. He can now go back to building his lights with the same quality that mag is famous for and maybe bring back their old warranty again minus battery damage because that's not mag's fault. It's your own resposibility to manage your alkaleaks, but mag could at least fix the led if it went out.
When it's his time to go the fate of his company will be in the hands of others, but whatever changes are made--Tony's legacy will be good quality flashlights for a good price even though they're made in cali.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I used Maglites exclusively for decades, doing everything from caving to working night security to put myself through college. I loved them. They really were amazing once upon a time. I kept using them well into the LED revolution due to my hatred of cool white light sources. Now that I can get decent neutral or warm LED flashlights, there just isn't much reason to keep my old Maglites.

Having literally hundreds of hours of experience with the smaller 2xAA mini-maglite, I finally tried the new Spectrum series version with warm-white LED. Frankly, I was not impressed. For all they improved, the beam focus range was reduced and having multiple twisty modes controlled within that restricted range was straight-up lame. For the modes it does have, the high was on par with lows in some other 2xAA LED flashlights I've tried. It was also overly expensive and looked silly with its silver cap.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I understand you right you tried the spectrum version of the 2aa mini mag. From what other/s here have said about that one I take it that they are also unimpressed with it, BUT don't lump them all in they same lot. I have the regular led and spectrum series solitaire and I like em both very much.
Also, I have heard someone or 2 talk well about the 2aaa mini mag spectrum series. As far as the old ones, I have several mini mags that are stock and three 2d and one 6d of old stock. I learned a long time ago that that a big mag doesn't make a good mouth light unless you just enjoy gaging. Have to hold under chin or between head and shoulder--or call the wife out to hold it and get onto her when her mind wanders every 15 seconds and she is shining it everywhere but where I'm working lol.
Even though big mags will put a limit on using two hands I still like them and somehow I got by when that was all I had--made me think a little and get creative.

Ps: Hey,uh,so are you yet to throw out those old mags? Myself or someone else here would be glad to take out your garbage that day lol. I myself will even dust where those ol nasty mags were and leave that area lemony fresh and sparkling. Don't worry about me--I'll bear the burdon of disposing of them at my own expense. :naughty::crackup:

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
... you tried the spectrum version of the 2aa mini mag ... I have the regular led and spectrum series solitaire and I like em both very much.

The consensus seems to be that the Solitaire is both the worst of the incandescent line and perhaps the best of the new Spectrum line. It's at least the "most improved" from what I've read. I found the old Solitaire useful as a kids' toy for those too little to remember not to shine it in the eyes of other people. The new Spectrum Solitaire in warm white sounds like a decent key chain light but I'm not sure when I'll get around to trying it. (I have a myriad of 1xAAA lights now.)

As far as my old Maglite collection, a few died due to alkaleaks and storage stupidity. A few were gifted to relatives. A few remain in safe storage without alkaline batteries.

Not surprisingly, alkaleaks seem to be the leading cause of Maglite demise. It was their Achilles Heel and a problem of the time. I know lots of people (in the general public at least) still use alkaleaks as primary device power but hopefully the rest of us are past that. Now I see alkaline batteries as convenient back-ups that I can get at any store. I've been using Eneloops over a year now and I've been very pleased by the performance and lack of corrosive leakage.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I believe I've had 3 of the 3D MagLites destroyed by leaking batteries. D cells in particular are notorious for leaking in my experience. Although I've had my fair share of AA and AAA lights ruined in similar fashion. I'm basically a rechargeable only guy now days. Have been for years.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At one point I wondered if Maglite used a coating formula the sucked out the alkaline material because only Maglite I used back then were plagued with alkaleak. None of my plastic cheapo's died because of that.

Later I considered they had made a deal with company X or Y to supply batteries made to leak so Maglite could sell more lights. Back then you just tossed it and bought a new one.

When I first joined here a fellow who no longer posts here spoke of using Rayovacs since he had not had any leak. I've used Rayovacs since and had zero leaks in Maglites. Some here have said Rayovacs leaked in their lights. I cannot dispute that but can say in my flashlight collection of several hundred, some really old and impossible to replace I use Rayovacs without a second thought. Many of my old lights are empty because of parasitic drain not fear of alkaleak.

They are US made and have advanced beyond the copper bunney top brands for high drain applications. They cost less too.

Now the Nite Ize in a minimag, I tried it in a few but they did not last long so those lights got Yuji "bulbs" installed instead. At only about 8 or so lumens the aa minimag becomes a run time marathon champ.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I believe that the bi pins on that 5mm Yuji LED just need to be filed down a bit and then inserted just like the original incandescent bulb was.
Mr. Fixer can confirm exactly how he did it...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
First you trim the legs just a mm or two longer than the Nite Ize module legs or bi-pin bulb.
For a minimag reflector you have to oversize the bulb hole a bit. For the Nite Ize reflector the Yuji fits without modifying it.

My first one I "yuji'd" had batteries in from from who knows how long and I left it on 3 full days. It was still about 50% output when I turned it off.

For those unfamiliar with a Yuji, they are basically a light bulb shaped LED with two pins to fasten them to whatever you want to. The pins were oh, I'd guess ten mm long. They were built to hold 3 volts or there abouts. There was a group buy back in 018? where you bought lots of 25, for like $8 or something. The propeller heads here used them for self destruct testing and other projects to see how bright they'd get before :poof:.… others built 8 lumen battery vampire lights. Sofirm did some for Fenix E01 style lights.

They can also be used to rebuild a P60 with a burnt bulb and used in a 1x123 light for another style of long running flashlight.

Last edited:

mmalive12

Newly Enlightened
Maglite WAS king of flashlights back " in the day ". NO LONGER!!! For quite a few reasons. Just some listed below.

1. Pricing still expensive. Example Maglite 3 D 625 lumens $40 before taxes. In comparison Harbor Freight 534 lumens 3 D for $15 before tax. Both LED. Harbor Freight performs on par at fraction of cost.

2. The stupid doughnut once twisted focused beam.

3. Very hard to get replacement battery for Magtac rechargeable

4. EXTREMELY poor customer service once one has problems with Maglite. Refuses to acknowledge any type of correspondence.

5. Non use of li ion batteries.