Maglite XL Series Rattle

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF,

I recently purchased two XL series lights: XL50 and XL200. Both lights have a rattle somewhere in the LED units themselves. It is definitely not any of the removable components (battery carrier, head assembly, tail cap) as the rattle can be replicated when the lights are disassembled. I initially thought this rattle was from a component relating to the lock-out feature in the XL100/200, and Mag Instrument use the same component in the XL50. But the lock-out feature should be contained within the electronic tail cap switch, correct?

Considering both do it, it could be deduced that it is indeed typical. Can anyone confirm this rattling is normal? I've tried emailing Mag Instrument, but have failed to receive a reply.

Thanks.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Is the way they mount the led pill, it is not threaded in or glued. I often wonder who engineers the thermal design of their lights, but they work, so it is what it is. Btw, I have an XL 50 that my kids commandeered and they beat the crap out of it. Still works great.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Doesn't one of the XL line have a motion detector for changing modes? Although the XL 50 doesn't have that feature, I theorized the rattle in mine was somehow related... A disconnected widget or something that would otherwise have been connected to another component that only comes in a higher model number :) just a theory.

Edit: XL200 has motion detection according to Maglite's web site.

As an aside, I recently got a diffuser for another light (olight T25) that doesn't fit its intended host very well, but happens to fit the XL50 like a glove. With a diffuser in place, the much-too-throwy-for-everyday-use stock beam of the XL50 is now very usable as an around-the-house light.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have had 7 or 8 of these little maglit*s and out of them 3 had that rattle. Didnt seem to affect performance at all but was still annoying as heck. Is there anything that can be done to correct that rattle?

metasyntax

Newly Enlightened
I just got an XL50 a few days ago; there is a slight rattle in mine. It seems to be coming from one of the contact pins in the tailcap assembly, which is a little loose. (The center pin is solid, but the other one you can wiggle back and forth with your finger.)

Also, first post! Greetings, CPF! :twothumbs

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I had bought the 1st Gen XL50 (104 lms) and it did not have the rattle. Then I bought the 2nd Gen (139 lms) at Lowe's, it rattled. Contacted Maglite; they said it was normal. Didn't like the rattle, so I returned it. Now Maglite seems to have a 3rd Gen one (200 lms) - I might try that one...

metasyntax

Newly Enlightened
First Post: Nov 2014

:welcome:

Have you been lurking us or is your internet really slow ?

Lurking on and off, but mostly off; lights aren't (yet) a big obsession for me.
But I finally had something (maybe somewhat) helpful to say this time. :)

Harold_B

Enlightened
I had bought the 1st Gen XL50 (104 lms) and it did not have the rattle. Then I bought the 2nd Gen (139 lms) at Lowe's, it rattled. Contacted Maglite; they said it was normal. Didn't like the rattle, so I returned it. Now Maglite seems to have a 3rd Gen one (200 lms) - I might try that one...

200lm you say, interesting. I have a Gen I & II but only the later handy. It rattles as well. The Gen I used a Rebel and the II uses a Cree XP-E (I'm pretty sure). Any idea what the 200lm is using?

Newly Enlightened
It is an earthquake detector.
Magmometer.

That's the one I have; the 200 Lumen version:

xl50_200l.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, they haven't fixed the rattle.

I finally got a reply from Mag, and they said it's normal.

Thanks for all the commentary.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
My second gen Xl50 rattles. My first gen XL200 doesn't. I was pleased though when I got the Xl50 to see that the button was recessed enough so that the light can tailstand, unlike my xl200.

TRW3

Newly Enlightened
It's worth it to pay a little extra past the $30 price point of most maglites. Just my .2