Maha MH-C9000, the Wizard One Charger (Part 2)

Billspider

Newly Enlightened
As you can see from the above post my charger is almost new.
I find that either placing AA batteries in, or removing from charger it is easier to place or remove negative end first.
Does it really matter ?

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I find that either placing AA batteries in, or removing from charger it is easier to place or remove negative end first.
Does it really matter ?

It doesn't matter too much. I insert the negative end first because doing it the other way can (eventually) damage the wrapper on the cell. I also remove the positive end first for the same reason - it does take a bit more effort to do though.

B-52

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I have shorter batteries, I've used the same technique with batteries of all kinds.

When removing an AA cell I grasp it firmly by the neck with my fingers touching the charger housing either side of the positive contact spring. I then squeeze and roll my fingers upwards against the charger, forcing the battery downwards against the negative contact spring. Once the battery clears any obstructions at the positive end I lift it up and out. (In this procedure, "upwards" means along the line of the battery towards the positive end, and "downwards" is the reverse direction towards the negative. It also needs a firm grip on the battery and is difficult with slippery fingers. Wipe your fingers dry first.)

Mr. Happy the Way you explained installing and removing AA's with your MaHa C9000.. This is exactly the Way i install & remove my Batteries in my C9000 as Well:grin2: it's good practice to have clean hands & fingers no extra Oil's like from eating potato chips :popcorn: or popcorn give the battery a firm grasp with your Right hand if your Right Handed and place your Left hand on the Charger pull back slightly then up with your right hand it should come out as you Explained.. Perfect every Time.. :) B

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
OLOHA just purchased from Amazon last week and it still says "manaul" come on Maha someone change the printing on the sticker... sheesh :)

In other news I find that it's reporting battery capacity uniformly less than "sticker" on everything I've fed through it - mostly AA and AAA Eneloops but also two old Nikon branded NiMHs (those I understand though, they have been pretty much ignored as they did not work for the purpose for which I purchased them... I'm honestly not sure what to do with them, but i ran them through a break in cycle just on principle)

I still have 8 more Eneloop AAs to run through a break in cycle... should have bought two chargers but that's just silly.

leor604

Newly Enlightened
Just received a C9000 yesterday so, my first task was to try and evaluate/resurrect some questionable batteries. Some read "high" so I put those aside for disposal. A few Energizer AAA's would initially be recognized when they were inserted but, regardless of which cycle I try to initiate, after a few seconds the charger goes back to the battery insertion state with "mode" flashing. I cannot charge, discharge, cycle, etc. The charger allows me to input the various settings but then within a few seconds of the cycle starting, it jumps back to flashing "mode" as if the battery was just inserted. I can charge these batteries in a "regular" charger but they have a reduced capacity (my son uses them in his Beats headphones but they don't last long). Any ideas or wisdom? Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Leor604,

Welcome to CPF.

There has always been a problem with AAA cells making contact in the charger. What you describe seems most likely that the cells are making contact for a short while then contact is lost. You can peel the shrink wrap away from the - end of the cell to help make better contact and some of us have "adjusted" the contacts in an effort to make better contact.

Tom

leor604

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Tom.

I don't think it's a contact issue. The AAA cells have no wrap at all on the entire bottom surface of the cell, and I also ran into the same issue with a couple of AA's. I did eventually manage to get one of the AAA's to go through a break in cycle but the capacity came back as only 480mah on a 950 rated cell so I think these are just dead cells. I guess I was expecting a "high" display instead of the charger rejecting the cell and going back to the flashing "mode" display.

Cheers

Leo.

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I haven't seen it myself, but I've seen reports by others that if the internal resistance of cells is too high, it can cause the C9000 to reset and start the process over again. If you did manage to get a really high resistance cell to not reset, I wouldn't expect you to get any capacity out of it on the C9000, but maybe the resistance dropped sufficiently after the break in to allow it to do a discharge. With the one that you did manage to do a break in on, can you now do a normal discharge and charge with it?

leor604

Newly Enlightened
No, I stuck the broken-in AAA in the charger this morning and this time got a HIGH display.

I guess either a HIGH display or continous resetting means the same thing - dead cell - but I prefer the HIGH display because it then shuts down that slot. When a cell resets the charger, the charger just keeps looping (reset, 1000 ma charge, reset, 1000 ma charge, .....) and I am guessing this is not as safe as a shutdown.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I stuck the broken-in AAA in the charger this morning and this time got a HIGH display.

I guess either a HIGH display or continous resetting means the same thing - dead cell - but I prefer the HIGH display because it then shuts down that slot. When a cell resets the charger, the charger just keeps looping (reset, 1000 ma charge, reset, 1000 ma charge, .....) and I am guessing this is not as safe as a shutdown.

The C9000 apparently has two levels of battery rejection: HIGH resistance, and "not recognized as rechargeable". The second case, not recognized, is indicated by a reset and a flashing display. You can see this reset mode if you try to charge an alkaline battery. The charger will do the same thing. You could consider it to be worse than HIGH, or "VERY HIGH".

B-52

Newly Enlightened

I done a test On my C9000 with 1 of my AAA eneloops i inserted into each slot and it showed a good Contact on each one of them the Voltage read back was good as well During the Discharge & the Charge i put it threw). But before i done the test in the MaHa i checked Voltage with my ZTS tester the battery showed 80% when i put battery on charge i set it @ 400mA and charged it for a 4 min. Test in doing that i checked again with the ZTS and it was showing a 100% reading the Voltage was @ 1.40 so i knew it needed to go a little more but it was enough for my Test..

Leor604 what you could do is try is Calling MaHa's Customer No. 1.800.376.9992 When it ask for you to Type in the Extension No. Type in 204 Eric should answer if Delen answers ask if you could talk to him there on Pacific Time so for me when it's Noon it's 10:00 out there in CA but let Eric know what your charger is doing if have the Receipt to it ask him if he can Send you out a New one or if you can send yours in and you might put one of your eneloops in there with the Charger let him know if you decide to send it put it in battery holder and attach a Note.! He can check it out and he might just send you out a new one..

Give that a Try and Good Luck B
:tinfoil:

Update:
Leor604 i wanted to add Before you contact MaHa and Eric Take your C-9000 with it unplugged and tilt it to were you can see the Positive Contact plates the one's with the 4 small nipples). Take a small non sharp instrument or one of your fingers and see if the plate on each slot moves if they do they shouldn't especially if they move forward i asked Eric on this because my first C-9000 i got the plates Moved he said that wasn't Good he had me test the Negative plates they were Ok but he said with the Nature of the Positive plates he would send me a New C-9000 but i told him since i got it @ Batteries Plus i would make them exchange it).. too add >>

The Manager exchanged it but he was not happy with doing it.. I told him the reason i returned it,, It didn't make a Dent so i mentioned it to Eric and he said from Now on we'll take of it.. I'm also going to get my Immedion's from MaHa it's just as easy to have them sent to me as to get them Locally which the Dunt's :thumbsdow over @ Batteries Plus don't have,,,,

Last edited:

leor604

Newly Enlightened
What's the FIRST voltage reading after you insert this AAA?

Sorry, I'm new to all this stuff so you'll have to be more specific. Voltage when? On a discharge cycle with a fully charged cell? Not sure if I still have this cell at home as I put it in a bag with a bunch of other dead cells for my wife to take to her work and recycle. I'll check when I get home.