Malkoff Devices - I am a Convert...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup i think it was last year I caved and picked up a Malkoff dropin for my rifle light... Just yesterday I picked up their m@g drop-in for a garage sale 3D cell.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
I think Malkoff products are great but I confess to not being a 'junkie'. M61LL conversion for a G3, MD2 with bezel switch, and MDC HA 1AA all uniquely filled a niche for me.

Buying Malkoff products like a stamp collector isn't my thing. Not yet anyway... :D

wweiss

Enlightened
24 posts up, as the OP, I was not a cult/junky follower.

That has changed as I can now speak with authority that the Wildcat HI CRI head is the best awareness / dog walker out there. The tint is perfect to my eyes and the throw is surprisingly good for a very wide flooder. Now, as a neo-cult acolyte, I wish to the CPF Gods that Malkoff will make a single 18650 form of this head so that an MD2 body and this head could be together where they belong....

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick it on an MD2 with 2x 18350 1100mah cells.
The current draw at 7.4v is 2000ma. so you'll get about 1 hour's runtime.
If you have trouble with the cell length I can explain how to use an aluminium ring to give you a couple more mm.
Personally I like the small head on a long body thing for the form and the runtime, but my drop in uses 4.5 amps.

P

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Thanks, Peter..... your suggestion is the first thing I'll try - I was told that the extender kit would work...

GrumpyBear

Newly Enlightened
That's what a lot of folks say, here. I've always been pretty good at picking dogs we'll see if that still holds true.

wweiss

Enlightened
Apparently, yes - another Weiss. My Great Grandfather was from Vienna Austria... Came over here in 1892 - I have his Ellis Island papers...

wweiss

Enlightened
Just used my new MD2 body with two old (3 years) Nitecore RCR123's 650's running a Wildcat HICRI. Wonderful config - lasted about 40 min. on high. Easy to carry this config AND extra Batts. Head stayed cool in 34d ambient and woods was lit like a stadium. My dog and I were very lonely on the well lit trail...

GrumpyBear

Newly Enlightened
I would like to share my first impressions on my new Hound Dog Super. I read opinions and worried about this light for nearly a month (over $250 for batteries, charger and light caused me a lot of pause) I took it out of the box yesterday and immediately started charging and watched the charger like a little kid for nearly six hours. When I first turned it on I was in my chair and it was pointed at my lap and the mere reflection of the beam seemed to bounce off the back of my brain. Next I pointed it at the floor (neutral tint) and the beam looked yellow and I began to think I made a big mistake. I then went outside and man oh man! This thing shines farther than I can see and that's not much of an exaggeration. The width of the beam is outstanding, I shined it up in the trees and the color is so correct I could see what kind of tree it was by looking at the upper branches, in fact everything I shined it looked correct. The low setting will have its place up close I suppose but I'm pretty sure high will be what I use. It's like nitrous boost in a flashlight. I can't emphasize enough just how much this light blew me away and from a non-technical user's point of view if you're sitting on the fence thinking about the HD Super, get it and don't look back. Thanks you guys for all the details in your posts. Y'all sold the light to me.

wweiss

Enlightened
Just used my new MD2 body with two old (3 years) Nitecore RCR123's 650's running a Wildcat HICRI. Wonderful config - lasted about 40 min. on high. Easy to carry this config AND extra Batts. Head stayed cool in 34d ambient and woods was lit like a stadium. My dog and I were very lonely on the well lit trail...

Update: I discovered the best woods walking configuration for the Wildcat:

Using the MD3 body with three CRC123's (@11.1v), I find that because of the higher voltage, LO is more than bright enough to light the trail and even give some decent perimeter spill.

I set the head rotation so that it nearly engages HI and that allows an easy thumb press on the head barrel for a momentary "Yankee Stadium" moment in the woods if something goes thump beyond 200'. As HI is a momentary press of the thumb and then goes back to LO upon release of the thumb, I always have full lumens OTF almost to the runtime end. I've hiked 4 hours this way and the 3 year old Nitecores still had something left in them.

Having the ability to instantly pulse HI from LO and back to LO again is a great feature in a flooder light as I don't need all the lumens, all the time in the woods. Walking on LO allows my eyes to adjust to ambient conditions and becomes more than adequate for most of the trail. A sudden press on the head barrel gives me a solar flare of beautiful HI CRI light that renders objects out to 200+ ft in a 130d field of view that matches that of my eyes. All this without any 'blowback" glare off nearby tree trunks. Also no need to wave the light around - it's all right in front...

My own comfort zone in the woods is 200', if anything is just out beyond that and not moving away from us, I'll just have to deal with it a few seconds sooner - using a boater's pocket air horn, which scares the shite out of everything. 200' is also about the maximum you can fire a beam ahead in the average density of the Connecticut winter woods and still get useful data. Critter Eyes, though can still be made out much further back, floating and bobbing in the blackness. When we get closer, they are gone...

The Malkoff Wildcat HI CRI with an MD3 body and three RCR 123's has to be one of, if not the best, design and configuration for most real world uses.