Malkoff drop-in here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbviau

Enlightened
The only way to get one really is to sign up for email updates on Gene's website and then surf over to the website as fast as you can once you get an email saying they're in stock. It's worked for me twice so far. Being in front of a computer all day at work definitely helps! The last wave of M60s lasted two hours. I'm not sure how long the Mag drop-ins lasted.

copperfox

Enlightened
I think the last wave of mag D-cell drop-ins lasted around 5 hours (give or take). I believe there were 18 of them at the start. I could have ordered one, but I'm waiting for the c-cell dropin. :sigh:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
gene ....seriously design a multi switch for this thing ...we all want one :)

low 100ma
med 500ma
high ,full tilt varying on cells 2cell 600ma- 3cell 1a - 4cell 1.1a

option strobe ,i like it some may not

and if at all possible to up max voltage to accept 4aa E2 which is 6.8v

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
"The only way to get one really is to sign up for email updates on Gene's website and then surf over to the website as fast as you can once you get an email saying they're in stock. "

I just happened to be here looking around and saw a post that they were for sale on the site and went and bought one.:nana: I am signed up for future updates now though. I got mine today but I have not gone out and bought a 4-D Maglite yet.
I was hoping for an unusual color but it seems the more cells the fewer choices.
I must have something other than black so no one makes the mistake of letting the kids play with the light. I already have 2 black 3 cell lights and they are not going to notice the difference if I buy another black one.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a wedge ...screw it down and it expands the drop in to fit snug,loosen it and the drop in will have some give for you to pull out

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what my Malkoff drop-in looks like, it arrived a couple weeks ago. Aluminum, you slide it in, tighten the screw and you're done. Well, besides putting the reflector in and screwing the top in and out...

It is very bright. I have a few Q5 lights to compare it to, as well.

Also, to note, the negative terminal is a copper spring! good contact, and I imagine that if you want to take it out, the spring will help you out.

da.gee

Enlightened
Trim the tube off the back of the reflector. Leave about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the tube remaining on the rear of the reflector.

Thanks, Gene

Thank you! Really like my M60 and I'm sure I'll be happy with the D cell drop in once I trim up a reflector. Howsa 'bout some more reflectors on your site? Hint, hint!

djblank87

Enlightened
For all who have not been able to get Gene's products like most have said you need to sign up for his newsletter.

I have had no problem getting a few of his items since I was on his mailing, great person to deal with and great products.

:thumbsup:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what my Malkoff drop-in looks like, it arrived a couple weeks ago. Aluminum, you slide it in, tighten the screw and you're done.

Quite a bit different.
Got any pix of the other side ?

copperfox

Enlightened
Anyone have both the Malkoff drop-in for Maglite AND a FlashCrazy modded Lenser? I would love to compare beamshots or hear a description of their differences. I'm afraid my budget is for one or the other, not both. :mecry: The Lenser can take AAA rechargeable that I already have and it fits in the pocket; but the Malkoff can adjust for wider flood and has easily twice the runtime. Whatever will I do! :shrug:

SuRgE

Enlightened
With my Malkoff I purchased (2) strifled reflectors. One was a heavier orange peel effect than the other. The heavier gave a tighter hot spot believe or not. It was easily noticable. THe lighter one's finished looked a bit less shiney than the heavy one. I don't know if this is the reason for a more difused beam but there definately was a difference. I am happy with both.

Great job Gene!:D

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, here we go... I downsized them three times thinking that maybe Gene might not like people posting detailed images of his device. :shrug:

The ones with it partially inserted into the mag are where the spring first touches the negative terminal on the flashlight, the one with my finger in the picture is me pressing the device into the proper position. You have to apply pressure while you're screwing it in tight. The end result is what I posted the other day.

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, here we go...

Great pictures. :goodjob:

Wow, that heatsink is quite a bit different than the older design. Nice. :twothumbs

Is that why we haven't seen more C size dropins ?

Gene43

Enlightened
Great pictures. :goodjob:

Wow, that heatsink is quite a bit different than the older design. Nice. :twothumbs

Is that why we haven't seen more C size dropins ?

Yes, that's the reason. The C size has required very accurate dimensioning and considerable fine tuning. However, it has been finalized and I should get my first batch of C sized heatsinks with the wedge in about 2-3 weeks.

Gene

x923x

Newly Enlightened
Is the D drop-in suppose to have a spring around the piston like the C drop-in in the above pictures? I just got my D drop-in and there is no spring....I don't think it matters, I'm just curious. This thing is briiiiiiight!

Status
Not open for further replies.