Malkoff threads ?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Nothing's getting deleted .... In fact, with the old system, I think the threads had some maximum number of posts.

When it would get to be time, the thread would be locked off and a new continuation started, with links forwards and back.

There were topics that had a dozen or more "volumes"

I actually miss those days :sigh:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote to close that thread and start new threads that cover most of what that thread did but more organized.

I, for one, would like to see a thread dedicated solely to upcoming Malkoff releases. It seems like a good bulk of the Junkies thread was dedicated to that.

Some other suggestions I can think of are:

Technical Specs Thread (including run time, lumen output, etc.)
Pics Thread
Recommend a Malkoff for Me Thread

Anybody want to add or let me know if this might be useful?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Also, it would be cool to have a sticky thread with a collection of Malkoff threads listed. It would be a way for members to possibly revitalize some of those older threads.

Bill

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That thread (which must nor be named) will suck your intelligence out through your ears..
P

How funny, I seem to have participated in a coup. While my comment was tongue in cheek, I have to admit that I gave up on the Junkie thread a while ago, mainly for the reasons already cited. Moving the graphs and runtimes was inspired, as while they are a fantastic resource, they were making a fog which you needed to peer through to get any different information. Looks like Kestrel os taking on a difficult task, for which I thank him.
PS Is it egotistical to quote yourself?
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Also, it would be cool to have a sticky thread with a collection of Malkoff threads listed. It would be a way for members to possibly revitalize some of those older threads.

Bill

I started a Malkoff collection thread (not to be contrued with collection of Malkoff threads) in the collecting subforum in the past. Folks howled "there's the junkie thread, no need for this one" lol

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my question. Suppose a new member wants to ask a question about, say, a particular MDC. How does he/she know where pose the question? Put another way, are we relying on the collective memory of experienced members to know which threads exist, where they are located, and whether it's necessary to start a new thread? These threads can't be left at the mercy of the latest bump in the LED forum. Just my two cents.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very easy to find existing threads on any specific topic via the Google search function, /and/ also easy for Staff to merge new threads into existing known ones - our collective knowledge is an asset here.

Just to be perfectly clear --- You don't have to use the google search, you can use any search engine like DuckDuckGo or StartPage.

In any case, I do not want to use the external search engine. Though, I've had no choice in the last few years as the thread is unmanageable, completely.

Running searches on the forum puts some load on the system and if the thread was organized, search wouldn't be all that needed in the first place.

When I was in the software development, and learning in school, they taught us to break code down into small manageable pieces, about 1 page per subroutine. That is called divide and conquer. If you use 100 pages as a continuous flow without any structure, that was a minus. They called it 'spaghetti code'. Which is what the thread is. You have to go back to page 129 to find something, it's a pain. My searches via the forum never work I have to use an external search engine which is hit and miss.

We need a thread on Hound Dog, a thread on AA lights (mdc) a thread on future products, a thread on pictures, etc. etc. etc.

I still think a sub-forum is needed where all that could be accomplished. OTOH, the traffic there could go down since it would be out of sight, out of mind that is a real possibility. So. Maybe a dedicated forum is not needed but multiple threads are, but then how do you organize them? they will constantly scroll out of sight.

Out of sight, out of mind

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, my idea is this;

Close the massive ~500 page 'Junkies' thread;
Open new 'Malkoff Hall' (?) thread;

Synonyms here:
https://www.powerthesaurus.org/clubhouse

Topics to include: suggestions, experiences, opinions, etc.

---------

And then also restart some of the topical Malkoff threads - for specific product content.

I can do my part, posting current info in selected threads: my extremely rare M91N & how I used it in my December elk hunting trip, my epic M31 car flashlight kit w/ a new custom revision, that sort of thing.

Others here have experience with the MDC bodies, for example - and yes, we had a thread for those as well. :)

What say you?

Opening a new thread is not a bad idea. This beast is unmanageable. It goes all the way to the year... Oh see, I cannot remember. It's that huge. I *think* it goes all the way back to the year 2013 or something like that. I am not even going to look it up, since you have to scroll to page 1.

In general if you decided to stick with the new thread idea, open a new thread once per year. Here is the 2018 thread and then on January 1st, everyone knows, open the 2019 Malkoff Junkie thread. Just a thought.

But not spanning 5 or so years. Things have drastically changed in the last 5 years. 2019 does not belong with 2013. The last 10 pages do not logically belong with the first 10 or first 50 pages.

A huge thread is not manageable, but smaller ones, like 2019 part 1 and then 2019 part 2, are manageable. OTOH, multiple Malkoff threads would be equally unmanageable. Think about it. I saw this in that thread but it's gone now. Bumped down. And if you have the single Malkoff thread, it's on page 87. Easy to find.
Easier.
If you go with 100 and 1 threads, they might need their own sub-section. If not, generate a new Malkoff Junkie thread at least once per year. Maybe twice per year.

once per year is a huge progress versus once every 5 years.

nbp

Flashaholic
Most brands here do not have one giant thread containing all discussion regarding that single brand. Imagine if every post about Fenix was in a single thread... Members start threads at will on various Fenix et al. topics and people get along just fine. I suspect people would get along just fine having a handful of threads to house the Malkoff discussions. Malkoff and HDS are the exception not the rule in that they have massive catch-all threads.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Most brands here do not have one giant thread containing all discussion regarding that single brand. Imagine if every post about Fenix was in a single thread... Members start threads at will on various Fenix et al. topics and people get along just fine. I suspect people would get along just fine having a handful of threads to house the Malkoff discussions. Malkoff and HDS are the exception not the rule in that they have massive catch-all threads.

Agreed .... No need to over-think the situation.

The only alternatives are not an entire brand subforum or one single catch-all thread.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
My first thought was actually that, if the Malkoff thread is popular, disorganized, and contains information across a broad variety of topics, it would make sense to have a Malkoff subforum. Migrate some of the old threads over, lock the Junkie thread and move it over for archival cleanliness, and overall the change should make future discussion more organized and readable.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
While there may be problems with the status quo, forced fragmentation presents its own set of problems too. If the discussion is divided up by specific models, or size (small, med, lg.), where does discussion about McClickies go? Or emitters? Things like this have relevance across all models. Currently, if one wants to learn how to disassemble a switch, they only have to search one (large) thread. Is having to search several smaller threads really an improvement?

It's also true that the more a discussion is divided, the less of a discussion there really is. Yes, sometimes discussions go off topic, and mindless banter buries good info in a thread. But sometimes this is better than the alternative. I've seen forums where over compartmentalization has been a real problem, and resulted in less discussion and participation. I'm surprised there are even enough Malkoff junkies to have even one lively thread! :p

Go to the AVS forum, and you'll find threads with 10's of thousands of posts and millions of views about a single specific model of equipment. One solution is to have a master thread, or more often- a maintained, updated and edited first post in a specific thread, that links to important valuable information as it appears. For example- if important run-time charts and graphs are buried, the first post in a thread, or a master sticky post, could link directly to the valuable information. I've seen this work well, but it requires a commitment.

Food for thought....

Good luck!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One subforum by brand may alienate other brand owners who support the site.
Example; if maglite got a subforum why didn't rayovac?
(Notice neither mentioned are cpf supporters)

I get the note about learning to fix a McClicky from the Malkoff thread but something tells me there are a lot more generic threads covering that one.

Now once upon a time an A2 thread covered tons of A2 threads.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?199396-The-SureFire-A2-Thread-Index
To me that one would be a good model for "malkoff junkies part 3"

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Maker/modder subforums are created at the request of the maker/modder and must be moderated by a rep of that company or the person themselves. If Gene wanted to manage a subforum he would ask for one. He hasn't. A separate subforum isn't really part of this discussion.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the input, will put something together.

I think 'post #2' in the new thread will be a list of existing Malkoff threads of some importance, for convenient reference. As significant topical threads get created over time, any CPF staff member would be welcome to add a link to that listing. There will of course be a few categories: "Dropins", etc.
That feature right there will make the new thread a substantial improvement over the existing 'Junkies' thread; and once in place will be quite easy to maintain.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there may be problems with the status quo, forced fragmentation presents its own set of problems too. If the discussion is divided up by specific models, or size (small, med, lg.), where does discussion about McClickies go? Or emitters? Things like this have relevance across all models. Currently, if one wants to learn how to disassemble a switch, they only have to search one (large) thread. Is having to search several smaller threads really an improvement?

It's also true that the more a discussion is divided, the less of a discussion there really is. Yes, sometimes discussions go off topic, and mindless banter buries good info in a thread. But sometimes this is better than the alternative. I've seen forums where over compartmentalization has been a real problem, and resulted in less discussion and participation. I'm surprised there are even enough Malkoff junkies to have even one lively thread! :p

Go to the AVS forum, and you'll find threads with 10's of thousands of posts and millions of views about a single specific model of equipment. One solution is to have a master thread, or more often- a maintained, updated and edited first post in a specific thread, that links to important valuable information as it appears. For example- if important run-time charts and graphs are buried, the first post in a thread, or a master sticky post, could link directly to the valuable information. I've seen this work well, but it requires a commitment.

Food for thought....

Good luck!!!

^^^^^^

He_is_right.jpg