• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Manker U21vn - 26650 Thrower

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I thought all the PDTs were a neutral color.

I'm really surprised an xpl dedomed put out 1500 lumen!

is it ok to run these on 18650s? I currently have no 26650s and I really had been avoiding stepping into that realm.

damn, I want both specs too...

this is pushing me farther away from my x7vn :(

18650 is fine.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
ah, thanks.

if size were relative to capacity, then 26/18=1.444 and 5200/3500=1.4857 which is a 44.4% increase in size and 48.6% increase in capacity. Sounds like a good deal to me :)

at some point, I just need to man up, shut up, and just purchase the damn things because I know it's going to happen sooner or later.

Right Cylinder Volume Equation = V = (Pi)(r^2)(h)

18650 Volume => (3.14)(.9^2)(6.5)= 16.5cm^3

26650 Volume => (3.14)(1.3^2)(6.5)= 34.5 cm^3

34.5/16.5= 2.0 => 26650 is twice the volume/size of the 18650

----------------------------

Weight

18650 = 1.6oz
26650 = 3.2oz

Also 2 times the weight

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Come to think about it I see where you are coming from too..The diameter is what mostly matters in practical use although volume is what dictates the capacity

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, I feel like a newb again. Whats flatter regulation?

I know the stock u21 has a battery tube for the 18650 but I didn't know if using that was ok with the vn version.

Yeah sorry, tried to answer on the fly! [emoji4]

Use either, but I lean towards the bigger tank for more mileage. [emoji3]

Here is a comparison on the 30Q against the vappower 26650 4200mah. 5A and 10A. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1477044074.302936.jpg

Last edited:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa!!:bow::bow:

true, measuring the battery diameter wasn't the correct way about this. thanks for the correction and the math! so between a 26650 and a 18650, the former is twice the volume and weight while only offering ~about~ 48.6% more mah. This doesn't look quite as good anymore but something tells me i'm still missing a factor or two.

eh, who am I to question what's already in production? doesn't change the fact I want this light.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truly amazing, the numbers on this one are. The combination of the high performance and low price really make it seem like it makes a lot of the other lights on the store obsolete. For example, the 200 dollar option on the SR52UTvn uses XPL PDT and VNX2, but outputs 1300 lumen and 270k throw. This arguably is slightly better in performance and costs a whopping 80 dollars less. Then there's a light like the M30Cvn that has 1500 lumen and 150k lux, which is considerably less throw, and for a whole 100 dollars more, not to mention the U21 has the added benefit of having higher capacity at near the same overall size. Of course Manker is still a budget brand compared to Eeagletac and O-light, but lately they've been making some good quality product.

I also went ahead and bought the Purple Efest. I'm not too hung up on the battery performance.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^^^

"I also went ahead and bought the Purple Efest. I'm not too hung up on the battery performance."

That is surprising,you are definitely in the minority .Battery performance is important If you want the MOST of your modded light!

Edit: I thought of an analogy! That is like having a FERRARI and putting 87 Octane in it!

The beauty of FREE choice,as long as your happy that is all that matters.:)

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iirc the guy who tested the batteries said they were all discharged at a continuous 15a rate. I'm not sure this light is going to draw 15a out of the battery.

Capolini

Banned
Iirc the guy who tested the batteries said they were all discharged at a continuous 15a rate. I'm not sure this light is going to draw 15a out of the battery.

Ok,,it may not need 15a.

However, look at the difference of the voltage sag[curves] at 5a,7a and 10a between the Efest 5200 and the Vappower IMR 4200. The top 5 on the link from my earlier post are as good or better than the Vappower.I am sure the light will require more than 5A.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Capolini

Banned
LOL!! I did not mean to twist your arm twistedraven !!!

I reread the testers comments,,,,,,,,,this says a lot! Especially the last sentence which pertains to LOW amp requirements.

• At 15A continuous, most of the 3500mAh-4500mAh cells had much higher voltages and longer run times (higher capacity) than the 5200mAh cells. The very high internal resistance of the 5200mAh cells make them unsuitable for use at over a few amps in my opinion.
Have a nice day young man!:D

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah it's all fine, I cancelled my Illumn order in time. The li-ion wholesale one is slightly cheaper to boot. Good to know that I can keep the U21 running at higher output for longer now.

Capolini

Banned
Nah it's all fine, I cancelled my Illumn order in time. The li-ion wholesale one is slightly cheaper to boot. Good to know that I can keep the U21 running at higher output for longer now.

Glad you got a refund from Illumns,another great place w/ great customer service. They have also given me free replacements when they did not have to.

Lionwholesale [Jon] has excellent customer service and their prices are very reasonable. Not the biggest selection, but they have every battery I need!.I just go over and get it,,no shipping.I live in a small town and I was pleasantly surprised about 18 months ago when I found them!

I had a 6 month old Efest charger that had a minor issue.A sliver of light from the digital display was not lighting up. Warranty was up,he replaced it for FREE instead of me sending it back to China which would have cost more than the charger was worth.

You are getting a cheaper battery[by price not performance!], that can provide more amps[output] and according to the battery tester[MOOCH!] you won't have to deal with the less effective 5200mAh cells because: The very high internal resistance of the 5200mAh cells make them unsuitable for use at over a few amps in my opinion.

I am sure you will enjoy your torch and battery just like I will!
:grin2:

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought some Shockli 4200mah from Richard--very good battery--all tested out above 4200 on my Opus most well over 4300mah--tested them against some VTC5 on direct drive lights--they held their own--on newer XM-L2 LEDs I got an average of 5+ amps with both cells and on some older XM-L2 leds 7.5 + amps --very nice cells

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all this debate and talking about batteries, can Vinh confirm what cell he used in this light to get the output specs.

I think I'll be joining team option B soon on this light.

Capolini

Banned
This is ALL good!! Nothing new, discussed and documented before.

What is Capolini talking about?

Vinhs numbers are traditionally lower than Selfbuilt,Justin[JMPaul320-Retired] and Rdrfronty[retired]. Simply said, Vinh is limited by room. If you want to learn more about it see the post below.POST #56 has a GREAT explanation by TEEJ who taught me a lot about this stuff.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403386-V54-Lumen-amp-Lux-Measurements/page2

Measuring low can only be a POSITIVE. So when Vinhs numbers are very tasty[ex: UC21vn], the taste buds get even more excited and experience withdraw until the said torch is received!!

I estimate ADDING a 10% increase to Vinh's LUX numbers from my observations since Vinh started doing LUX in relief of Justin.

XPG2
Lux: 320K *10%=353K/1188m
:party:
Throw: 1130m

Spec 2: XPL PDT
Lux: 260K * 10%=286K/1070m
:party:
Throw: 1020m

Fellow Vinhilini's this is NOT far fetched. It is a fair estimate.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
With all this debate and talking about batteries, can Vinh confirm what cell he used in this light to get the output specs.

I test almost all my lights with VTC5. Use one cell to keep the numbers somewhat relative.

Capolini

Banned

Good question. I know he used VTC5 for the TN42vn. I emailed him on that.....they are a guaranteed response,we can not expect him to read all these posts.That is hit or miss.

In regards to how fast this light will sell out? I guess it depends how big his batch is? I ordered this light when it was called XXX and still a mystery light!! Pretty sure I was the first to order!

lol!! there is Vinh! VTC5 again!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Good question. I know he used VTC5 for the TN42vn. I emailed him on that.....they are a guaranteed response,we can not expect him to read all these posts.That is hit or miss.

In regards to how fast this light will sell out? I guess it depends how big his batch is? I ordered this light when it was called XXX and still a mystery light!! Pretty sure I was the first to order!

You were second this round. Someone sent fund sight unseen. Happens almost every time.

Latest posts