Manufacturers Failing Me

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont blame you for that and there's too much of it out there. Seems like almost every day, some new brand with a wierd name has a ad on the boards here. Most of my purchases after reaching CPF maturity are soley based on these priorities: build quality - beam quality - and a neutral or warm tint. These really limit my purchase options too, so I know how you feel.

......... I don't want junk ..........

recDNA

Flashaholic
good suggestions here for you. I know what you speak of. I myself have gone thru this and to solve the problem I took a step back and really thought about what I valued most in a lite. I ended up realizing for me its not the britest light but the most solid reliable light I can buy for a reasonable amount f money on a tight budget. Trust me I am still constantly tempted by the latest and greatest brightest light out there and some of the fun I used to have in the hunt is gone but when I take out my small collection of bomb proof Malkoffs and Peaks I rememeber my priorities and get that warm loving feeling knowing I have some of the best pieces of gear I can obtain in my hands.

I guess it's kind of like a young beer drinking college student maturring and discovering the subtle nuances of a fine bottle of wine and a good cigar on a Friday eveing kind of thing. You start appreciating the finer details of tru quality and purpose driven functionality. To me when form and function meld as one it becomes true art. Try looking for that in the lights you have instead of always searching for the next best thing.

Nah.

recDNA

Flashaholic

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right - it does! Now we're getting somewhere. I must confess, however, that with 4 Li Ion or 8 cr123 my fear would be a battery imbalance resulting in one heck of an explosion. It does LOOK like a hand grenade. Hope it doesn't act like one!

Here's another thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323025-NiteCore-TM11-Preview-(Lot-s-of-Pictures)

It looks like the batteries are in parallel. As long as you've charged them to within 0.05V of each other, there'd be nothing to worry about. They'd all self balance. You could even run different capacity cells without too much risk. 8xCR123A is another ballgame, though.

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Not even the TK21U2? or the Jetbeam 3M XML nor the Sunwayman V20C? Klarus XT10 maybe? There are lots of good 18650 lights.

TK21 has a problem with disabling the turbo mode long before the batteries are empty, Jet 3M only has two modes (one is programmable though, but too complicated to do that in regular use), Sunwayman V20C has a very short way to go from "low" to "high" and vice versa and also has a relatively short runtime on "low". Klarus XT10 has no real current regulation.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're eager to spend money in the meantime buy yourself a puppy... but with time, hunger and a real want-to-have will come back, no worries...

Good thing you're not LEGOing... otherwise you'd have much more "problems"... :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hard to imagine someone out there doesn't make what you want. Just have to be willing to pay for it.

I already HAVE lots of flashlights I want...but when I first joined cpf there was something totally new and exciting coming on a monthly basis. Lately just seems like replays of the same themes...nothing moves me.

Like remember when the TK40 came out....or the Quark ti 123 x 2?

I just can't afford the fancy hand made flashlights and the ones I do like tend to have like 15 minutes run-time.

I think I'm waiting fir the next leap in technology...like a more efficient yet SMALLER led or higher voltage higher runtime battery.

I guess i'll be waiting a long time.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I think I'm waiting fir the next leap in technology...like a more efficient yet SMALLER led or higher voltage higher runtime battery.

I guess i'll be waiting a long time.

In the world of processors, cycles per second is everything (hertz, khz, mhz, ghz). Not to long ago, processors which had doubled in speed every few years, starting maxing out in the 2.5-3.5ghz range. With speed development at a crawl, they started focusing on size and cores. Make cores as small as possible and cram as many of them on a chip as possible. So instead of one 2.5 chip, you have 2x2.5 or 4x2.5 = 10ghz.

In LEDs, the closer we get to the maximum theoretical efficiency (lumens/watt), the smaller the increase possible for a given amount of time or investment (diminishing returns). So for a given density, the only option for much more light is a bigger die. But the bigger they go, the harder they are to focus (less throw).

Which leaves multiple LEDs (lumen cores) and features. The further along we get, the less important will be things like lumens and the more important, things like tint and UI. Its to expensive to use multiple LEDs just to get more runtime, so you'll have to wait for battery evolutions for that.

Last edited: