Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

whill44

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I don't smoke, so this may be old hat to most who do, but it has recently come to my attention that there are fairly inexpensive ($10-12) inserts made by third party companies for Zippos, which turn them into jet flame (torch) "windproof" lighters. They are made by Z-Plus and Thunderbird brands.

Sorry to be off topic, but I thought to buy one as an addition to my survival kit. Most windproof lighters cost way more than this. I dont see why I'd even need the external Zippo casing, since while in my survival tin there's nothing to push down the ignition button by mistake.

I don't smoke either (although I do enjoy a good pipe full of tobacco every once in a while) i mostly use the lighter at work burning the fuzz off the side of the straps we make. However to get back on topic I use my flashlight and lighter at work everyday, it's part of my edc. I also gift lights to my coworkers. I just don't tell them what they cost. All they know is they can't believe their so bright. Of course the copper stays safe with me..

mikesantor

Enlightened
they discontinued the Cu lights though right?
Yes.

To keep my post legit:

SDC10469.jpg

SDC10470.jpg

SDC10471.jpg

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread!

The two things that bug me about this light are:
- the flaky mode changes and
- the cool white (bordering on blue) XP-E tint

Finally worked up the courage this evening to do something about the latter. :devil:
maratac2192.jpg

This light should get a little more pocket time now that it's rocking a Nichia 219! As for tarnish progression, it's pretty much steady as she goes. These things just seem to turn a reddish color and stay there.
maratac2191.jpg

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread!

The two things that bug me about this light are:
- the flaky mode changes and
- the cool white (bordering on blue) XP-E tint

Finally worked up the courage this evening to do something about the latter. :devil:
maratac2192.jpg

This light should get a little more pocket time now that it's rocking a Nichia 219! As for tarnish progression, it's pretty much steady as she goes. These things just seem to turn a reddish color and stay there.
maratac2191.jpg
how's the beam with a 219 in there?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
still perfectly usable i take it?

Oh yeah it's just fine, I much prefer it to the XP-E that was in there. Mine had a particularly blue tint that I found quite ugly.

The 219 has run hotter in every single light that I've modded it into (probably due to the lower Vf) so I'm glad this one is copper, helps dissipate it a bit.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah it's just fine, I much prefer it to the XP-E that was in there. Mine had a particularly blue tint that I found quite ugly.

The 219 has run hotter in every single light that I've modded it into (probably due to the lower Vf) so I'm glad this one is copper, helps dissipate it a bit.

got it, thanks!

Greebe

Newly Enlightened
Why in the world did they discontinue these? Really wish I could have found out about these before that happened.

fyrstormer

Banned
I had always hoped for an AA or CR123 version. If they ever bring it back, I'll be in for another one.
Or you can buy a Mac EDC, single-emitter or tri-emitter, with or without clip, in titanium, aluminum, or copper. This is what mine looks like, though admittedly I cheated on the initial stage of the patina.

CIMG5280.jpg

mzil

Enlightened
Assuming I didn't have the option to sell it, I had to actually carry it and use it, I'd rather own the Maratac.

fyrstormer

Banned
Assuming I didn't have the option to sell it, I had to actually carry it and use it, I'd rather own the Maratac.
I was responding to a post wishing for a CR123-based copper light. That's what my Mac EDC is. It could be a bit smaller if it used a twisty body instead of a clicky body, but other than that, the product the poster was wishing for already exists -- and it's easily serviceable, unlike the Maratac. However, if it's the Maratac brand name you're after, that's a different issue.