MassDrop Brass AAA Nichia 219C L-M-H

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I saw some reviews on the original MassDrop AAA, and I was quite impressed with the little light. The only thing that I did not like was the M-L-H format preferring the L-M-H sequence personally. I have never had any luck with twisty switches and sadly, most little lights have twisties due to design/size constraints. So, when MassDrop did a re-issue of this light, I jumped on it. The light was $29.99 delivered.

I use AAA Eneloop batteries in my headset (BOSE QC25) at work so, I wanted a light that utilizes the same.

The torch is offered in a Cool XPL and a Nichia. Since discovering CPF, I have become a tint snob favoring the warmer colors.

The really surprising thing about this little torch is that it has both great throw and flood considering its size.

Here are some shots.

8UdV0Bh.jpg
[/IMG]

gp7UM52.jpg
[/IMG]

High at about 8 feet away.
9ZuMyzf.jpg
[/IMG]

Low from about 5 feet.
P3xpiIH.jpg
[/IMG]

oom6eWQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice they went with L-M-H on this one. I agree with the M-L-H. That's about the stupidest thing ever invented...ever.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Nice they went with L-M-H on this one. I agree with the M-L-H. That's about the stupidest thing ever invented...ever.

I agree completely.

I like the tail switch. It works just fine and allows the light to tail stand which is a requirement for me.

I have become a real tint snob thanks to CPF and the Nichia is really pleasant on the eyes...

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
What don't you like about the switch? I have a Tool with the regular boot switch and wouldn't mind have an option that could tail stand.

Opinions vary of course, but my reasoning, battery powered, parasitic drain from the main cell, too sensitive, and tedious mode switching. I rather like my Copper tool and Titanium penlight which both use mechanical clicky switches.

elzilcho

Enlightened
Opinions vary of course, but my reasoning, battery powered, parasitic drain from the main cell, too sensitive, and tedious mode switching. I rather like my Copper tool and Titanium penlight which both use mechanical clicky switches.

Thanks for that info. I don't know much about the e-switches since I also prefer mechanical (and whatever the HDS classifies as).

Is the mode sequence stored in the head or the tail? The L-M-H doesn't suit me but it might be useful to have a tail stand-capable tail on hand now and then as long as it keeps the sequence the same as what I have now.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that info. I don't know much about the e-switches since I also prefer mechanical (and whatever the HDS classifies as).

Is the mode sequence stored in the head or the tail? The L-M-H doesn't suit me but it might be useful to have a tail stand-capable tail on hand now and then as long as it keeps the sequence the same as what I have now.
The mode sequence is part of the driver software, as can be seen if one twists the head back and forth instead of using the switch. Lumintop sells a magnetic tail switch for the Tool, flat on the end so that it will tail stand or stick to any metallic surface. The only drawback from my perspective is that the only way to control the light is as a twisty, since there is no switch in the tail with this cap. Also, AFAIK, it is only available in anodized black. I think they were about $3 when I got mine on Ebay.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's kind of gimmicky but did anyone see Massdrop is opening a drop for a light blue Titanium model tomorrow?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-blue-titanium-aaa-flashlight

I love these little lights and they are one of the few non-Maglites that I carry regularly. I have at least 2 of each model and I stocked up on about a dozen brass ones on the last few drops so I'll be buying a few of these too. I think they look just like an old Vari-Beam with the color scheme.

CRYA

Newly Enlightened
Anyone get one of these? I'm seeing pretty decent reviews on site. Seems unique...

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of "Tools" including Brass, regular Titanium and Blue Titanium. Love 'em all. E-switch doesn't bother me at all, but I also have the twisty and conventional as well. They are a great backup and if only needed inside for trips to the kitchen or bathroom
are great primary lights....

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, I have a bunch in all flavors. I really do prefer the aluminum and titanium ones though because I clip them on my cap at work and use them as a head lamp. The copper and brass are heavier and eventually sag my cap. I barely even notice the aluminum and titanium ones are there. Great little lights I do prefer the mechanical switch too, it's a little less easy to hit accidentally.

Latest posts