Master thread for disasters and generators.

FASTCAR

Banned
Re: Honda Super Quiet EU2000i Generator

I have one. I love it.It is so quiet it seems impossible.
Mine has had FUELON in it from day 1 :poke:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one. I love it.It is so quiet it seems impossible.
Mine has had FUELON in it from day 1 :poke:

Bet it's EVEN MORE fuel efficient with that Fuelon. :crackup: :touche: :kiss:

:buddies:

Illum

Flashaholic

the inverter part allows the DC generator to run at relatively low RPMs while generating surge free AC....I'm assuming pure sine:twothumbs

I've heard of surge issues on regular budget state generators wreaking havoc on power sensitive equipment :green:

having never owned [but maintained and ran quite a few] a generator I'm fairly confident to say I am going to invest in one once I find the need for it.:grin2:

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

The EU2000 is the best small generator you can buy.

A search here will turn up lots of info and testimonials from very satisfied users.

No, they're not cheap; but they are worth the price. Internet dealers like Mayberry's, Wise, Alamia, etc. will have the best price, but you will need to call them because they can't advertise less than MSRP on the net.

Also check out the EU2000 user group at Yahoo: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda_EU2000_Generators/

Peter

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

there's also this itty bitty 1000 watt one, so quiet you can put it behind a tree and no one knows it's there; half the power of the 2000eu but only a couple hundred $ cheaper (apx $700, try mayberrys.com too) -- http://www.wisesales.com/EU1000.html

remember to change the oil especially during break-in..
my 2000eu doesn't seem to handle a full 2000 watt load but comes pretty close.. (no gen. seems to really put out the numbers painted on them..)

turbodog

Flashaholic

Dieseldava and I are the resident honda inverter series experts, all kidding aside.

All that has been said is true. It is so quiet you will stumble over it and not realize it's running.

Wisesales.com is THE place to buy these things. I have bought about 7 generators from them over the past 3 years. 3 honda eu2000, 3 yamaha efg2800i (yamaha inverter, nice), and a moster honda em7000is ($3000+).

Also, fuel consumption is very good. I actually did a payback study once and found that after about 100 hours of runtime @ $3/gal it had broken even compared to a $400-500 "home depot" type generator.

A kill a watt meter is nice, but not required. Either this thing will run whatever you plug into, or it won't. The overload protection is good also.

Buy the 12v charge cord. It's a nice bonus. You can charge car batteries.

Also, I bought the parts required and made an extended-run setup myself. You need a spare gas cap, brass fitting threaded on one end with a hose barb on the other end, inline filter, and fuel tubing. Remove the vent from the cap, drill it out a little for a smooth surface, thread in the fitting, jb weld it so it won't back out or leak, then add the tubing, filter, and more tubing. I also added a weight to the end of the tubing.

This setup allows me to simply drop the tubing into the open spout of a larger gas can. Then I can move it from can to can as they run dry. I never had to pour fuel at all. Great for the wife. I can run an entire weekend on a 5 gal can this way.

On thing that is not said about the noise level is that even though the actual
decibel level is low, the tone is more of a hum than a pop-pop-pop.

Also, it's easy to use recapture the waste heat from this thing. ALL heat exits out the back, directed downward by louvers at the rear. When we take it racing we lay our wet clothes behind it and they are dry in an hour or so. You could also set a metal can back there to heat water for improvised baths. I belive dieselddave did this during all his hurricanes.

My ONLY complaint...
And to be fair, I didn't really have a complaint until I saw another model from yamaha.

It is that sometimes I would like a little more power. I've got an aircompressor that it won't run. But air compressors are notoriously hard to start anyway.

I did buy 3 yamaha efg2800i generators from wisesales. They surge to 2800w, and run at 2500. They also have a 3 gallon tank with a gauge. Their decibel level is the same, but their sound is more of a pop-pop than a hum.

If I had it to do again, I would still buy the honda, but the yamaha is very nice also. It's MUCH smaller than the picture suggests.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Yes, BigIron, thank you for that link !

:thumbsup:

_

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't used that one, so I can't say if it's any good or not. What I can say is that it's not an inverter generator like the others mentioned in this thread, so that it will definitely be louder and consume more fuel. It's also heavier.

My concern would be getting parts and warranty service. If that's a clone of a reputable manufacturer's generator, with a support structure in place, and all parts interchange, it may be worth the gamble(Harbor Freight carries a Honda GX200 clone like that, made by Lifan.). Any Honda dealer can order parts for my EU2000i or Lifan's GX200-clone mentioned above. I have a full IPL for my genny with part numbers and I know the parts are available, so I'll be able to service the genny myself once it's warranty has expired. Service centers abound for repairs while still under warranty. Harbor Freight has no support structure or parts ordering system at all, just return and replace, while within the warranty period.

That said, my circumstances are different than most. For a generator that may get used 6 hours a year, a Harbor Freight special may well be the way to go.

I type way too fast. :buddies:

paulr

Flashaholic

Oh yow, I didn't notice that thing weighs 67 lb. HF used to have some that were dc inverter generators about the same size as the Honda/Yamaha but about half the cost. I wonder what became of those.

Yeah, it's the thought of using it only 6 hrs/year that has made me not so interested in buying a generator. I see HF has a 400 watt wind powered one with carbon fiber blades for $700 though. Fuel-less power...

turbodog

Flashaholic

Just my opinion, but hargor freight sells nothing worthwhile. Period. They specialize in cheap junk.

I'd try to find a used honda.

Illum

Flashaholic

there's also this itty bitty 1000 watt one, so quiet you can put it behind a tree and no one knows it's there; half the power of the 2000eu but only a couple hundred $ cheaper (apx $700, try mayberrys.com too) -- http://www.wisesales.com/EU1000.html

remember to change the oil especially during break-in..
my 2000eu doesn't seem to handle a full 2000 watt load but comes pretty close.. (no gen. seems to really put out the numbers painted on them..)

well, its a common rule not to put enough load to equal or exceed the specs
I say around 80%

theres other generators in the market that advertises "super quiet" capability but in reality they just have slightly larger dampening fins in the muffler...doesn't really come close to helping. I believe Honda may have patented the inverter design because theres no other generators out there that uses it.

expensive as @#$%... but for those who may be interested in a gas powered flashlight...theres always the option of buying Tele-Lite Generator Light Units that boats over 10,000 lumens for as long as your tank will hold out

turbodog, good luck...I have yet to find a used EU2000i up for sale

Last edited:

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened

I have a EU30is. What can I say? It's damn good. Very quiet and efficient.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

A lot of other manufacturers are working on inverter-type generators though the Honda design is their own (well, one Chinese small-engine manufacturer, Kipor, copied some elements of the Honda design) Yamaha also makes them as well and Onan also recently jump into the bandwagon (The Onan inverter models are actually made by Subaru though)

Some Onan models
http://www.cumminsonan.com/portable/products/inverter/compare

Instead of using a standard low frequency alternator design which requires a constant high speed to maintain proper voltage and line frequency, inverter generators use a permanent magnet multi-phase alternator to generate AC at a high frequency. This is converted to DC by a series of rectifiers then passed into an inverter circuit which converts it back to AC at the proper line voltage and frequency. Since the output voltage and frequency is not dependent on engine speed, an inverter generator engine could be run at a lower rpm only throttling up when necessary to produce more current for starting motors or other heavy loads. The lower rpm operation allows these generators to operate at quieter and more fuel efficient speeds

Despite their model numbers, do note that the actual continuous output wattage is actually a little lower. As an example, the Onan P3200ie has a 2800 watts continuous output and the peak output is 3200 watts. Even the popular Honda Eu2000i has a 1600 watt continuous rating.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kipor is the brand of inverter generators Harbor Freight used to carry. From the reviews I've read it seems that Kipor makes a decent genny, but it's the same deal as anything else they sell; no support at all, no parts available, etc.

I agree that Harbor Freight is synonymous with junk, but some of their items are worth using. Air couplings, air hoses, grinding and cut-off wheels, safety glasses, ear muffs, etc. No tools or machinery at all, although Harbor Freight also carries some name brand full quality items, exactly the same Milwaukee or Porter-Cable tool that any other store carries.

:buddies:

turbodog

Flashaholic

If you're buying a generator, you want it to be able to run most anything you plug into it.

That genset is not large enough. 1600 watts won't run any decent appliance....

microwave
hotplate
coffeepot
etc

Electronic devices are fine and fans also though.

jezzyp

Enlightened

If you're buying a generator, you want it to be able to run most anything you plug into it.

That genset is not large enough. 1600 watts won't run any decent appliance....

microwave
hotplate
coffeepot
etc
True but my microwave only draws 1300watts, I have a gas (and propane backup) hob and its instant coffee if the power goes off.
A 5000W watt genny may be the same price but it may fry the circuit boards that are in my central heatinf, fridge and freezer.
I've done the maths, 1600W is enough for essential items.

Latest posts