MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation, I was just really curious about the process. :thumbsup:
Hi WWWW,
My pleasure ;)

Wwonder if Guy is pondering having the clip in Z shape, it is gonna be the only multi pocket torch to have at hand in a zombie apocalypse :)

since obviously the zombies cant find us if they dont have eyes to see, since the Zeus be so bright we blind them :)
Hmmm,
Not quite a Z in the clip but something else.

I'm with you completely Captain. I'm a zombie prep nerd.
Alex, Zues is a Zombie killer!!

...or a lightning bolt?
Hi MUGATU,

That's a good idea!

I'll have to just go ahead and post a photo of the clip design.

Working on getting the samples (titanium) made up at the moment.

I'm wondering if there is a standard size when it comes to spacing of the screw holes?
As its going to be a very sturdy clip, might be convenient for those who need a good Ti clip for something else?

Making good progress on the PCB's.
All in all, we have a total of 12 sides worth of PCB for the Zeus project....
don't even think about asking (lol)
When the new version proto's all land, I'll be ready to spill the beans ;)

If everything works as expected, it should be rather epic!
This time round, I have each designer making a prototype, testing,
before sending anything to an independant rapid PCB prototyping facility,
so any iteration will be quick and I can outsource the production of the PCBA just about anywhere in the world that can get it done in reasonable time.

Tgwnn

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi Guy. Check out the bolt spacing on a McGizmo clip. Similarly check out a jetbeam/Nitecore clip like you would see on a Jetbeam Rrt01. This is as close to "standard" as I've seen.

th8tredude

Enlightened
Hey Guy, you might also check out the Sunwayman V10r Ti's clip as well. I don't think the factory clip is great, but people make replacements for them. Speaking of that light, I would love to eventually see a nice throw head for Zeus with a infinite variable magnetic control ring as seen on the V10R and V11R. With the tail switch, I like the UI. But, with a bit more throw.
Th8tredude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy, you might also check out the Sunwayman V10r Ti's clip as well. I don't think the factory clip is great, but people make replacements for them. Speaking of that light, I would love to eventually see a nice throw head for Zeus with a infinite variable magnetic control ring as seen on the V10R and V11R. With the tail switch, I like the UI. But, with a bit more throw.
Th8tredude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Th8tredude,

Thanks.

I've checked out a few sizes etc,
Looks like there's nothing thats exactly a standard so I'm thinking I'll go with my original design,
so that its a perfect fit for Zeus and if it happens to fit on something else, well that's a bonus.

Its thick, solid, functional and good looking.

Turbo (throw) head,
That is 100% coming.
I'm planning on skipping "nice" and go straight on to "killer".

Once I get the other key parts all finalized, I'll be moving straight on to the Turbo head prototypes.

Tgwnn

gunga

Flashaholic
BTW, the Sunwayman V10r Ti+ clip is pretty non standard. I know the same bolt pattern spacing works with:

- The Jetbeam/Nitecore clip (was titanium or the new short steel clip).
- McGizmo clips
- Jeff Hanko Bio titanium clips
- Mac EDC titanium clips
- Cheapo Chinese steel clips ($2-5 from various retailers).

So I think this is as close to standard as possible. If you fit this, I can see myself buying more clips for other lights, especially if you have some shorter than the Jetbeam/McGizmo clip.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo, Mac's, and Jet beams clips have close to the same spacing for the screws. Forgot the Hanko radiation clip, believe it's close also.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gunga, KDM,

sorry, quote button is not working as expected..

Looks like I might need an extra 3mm of width to match those sizes,
where from research, the center of the screw holes at 7.5mm apart.

Don't think it will look too odd and more width can't hurt.

The thickness will be 1mm which is plenty strong for Ti.

Tgwnn

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunga, I guess I was your echo. I just read your post and had pretty much repeated you. I must have totally missed that, effects of sleep deprivation.:tired:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all are short on sleep, hence all the fancy lights. :)

Daytime is for people without enough light. :candle:

:crackup:

Zeus baby Zeus!!

3 out of 3 PCB prototypes underway.
Expecting to have the most important one ready in about 10 days or so,
though once it arrives, I need to program the firmware on one of the IC's
and then, fingers crossed, its PARTY TIME.

I've been so busy its ridiculous.
Almost lucky that so many things are sold out as I've spent every spare second just trying to get things done.
Custom drivers/PCBs are definitely not for the casual dabbler (IMHO).
There's always tweaking, changes, adjustments that need to be made and these take time which translates quickly into resource.
Its going well and I'm very excited. Can not wait to get the first new version in my hands (and of course in yours too).

Last week, I was just messing around, cleaning up my workspace as it doesn't take much for it to turn into a mountain of stuff.
Whilst playing with some things I forgot I designed, I came up with what might well be the next MBI product to be released.
I was just hacking away, printed some parts, sunrise came (as usual) and I had the smallest prototype to date in my hands.
Mostly something I wanted to make for fun (as with everything else).

Don't even ask... ;)
I'll post photo's in the next subscriber update which is due before the year is out.
Soon as I confirm Zeus is good to go, planning to share all the fun details of this, that and the others too.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally forgot to mention...

I finally pulled the trigger on the huge order of 10250 Nukes as supplies were running low,
and whilst I was at it, I went ahead and cooked up some AA sized, 14500 Nukes too so they'll be ready in time for Zeus.

We should be able to comply with the shipping regulations by having them pre-installed (safely) in the Zeus package,
but I may have to ask the nice folks at Oveready to be the default supply for spares in the US at least (as I'm guessing these might just be the new 14500's to have!)

These cells, true to their name can pump out more than enough juice to max out any single XM-L2 emitter.

Tgwnn

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks gunga, KDM,

sorry, quote button is not working as expected..

Looks like I might need an extra 3mm of width to match those sizes,
where from research, the center of the screw holes at 7.5mm apart.

Don't think it will look too odd and more width can't hurt.

The thickness will be 1mm which is plenty strong for Ti.

Tgwnn

Simple, just design a clip that can accommodate the projected 3-4 mm of screw spacing variation....or, do what everyone ELSE did, which was just make one that works for YOUR OWN light(s).

I'd lean towards making your own work as perfectly as possible, and let the others figure out how to use YOUR clips if they feel the need, instead of the other way around (A lot of work to make clips for other people's lights?)

Of course, a new clip paradigm is long over due, and, you are probably the "guy" to come up with it.

:D

th8tredude

Enlightened
I am almost shaking with excitement for this one Guy. And, you can put me in for an order of a half dozen of the new 14500's when they're ready!
Th8tredude

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple, just design a clip that can accommodate the projected 3-4 mm of screw spacing variation....or, do what everyone ELSE did, which was just make one that works for YOUR OWN light(s).

I'd lean towards making your own work as perfectly as possible, and let the others figure out how to use YOUR clips if they feel the need, instead of the other way around (A lot of work to make clips for other people's lights?)

Of course, a new clip paradigm is long over due, and, you are probably the "guy" to come up with it.

:D

Thanks TEEJ,

I think I'll make a sample of each.
The original spec and the slightly wider spec, then test them both.

Definitely agree with making one that fits Zeus perfectly as the first priority.
I can always make a more generic clip down the road for OPS (Other People's Stuff :) )

Tgwnn