mechanics penlight recommendation

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
why i had incandescents as an option too... thanks for reading my first post...
Honestly, I don't believe there's an incan suiting your requirements -- even if you'd accept the short runtimes (<20 minutes, but you said it doesn't matter), it's difficult to impossible to get both >150 lumens and alkaline AAA compatibility, and useful underdrive down to 10 lumens is right out (unless orange-brown is your favorite color). So even though you're not ruling out incans explicitly, you really have ruled them out.
(Not saying one couldn't be made -- maybe a two-bulb high/low head that gets 150lm on NiMH or Li, and still runs (with an anemic high, but acceptable low) on alkalines -- but I guarantee it's not off-the-shelf, and nowhere near $50.)

yea, the one i was looking at was an R5, i want the TI version, but i dont know that ill go through with that lol ill probably get the blue one
I'm not a big Ti fan (SS is my choice when thermal considerations permit), but I have the Ti/black edition, and I strongly recommend it. It's got the grippy finish 4sevens uses on the aluminum preons (still not as good as aggressive knurling :(), it's got the nice rounded tailcap, and it's more ding-resistant on the ends, which is where it's gonna hit the concrete (though that's more a cosmetic issue, which doesn't count for much IMO). Oh, and it looks ridiculously classy -- if that matters. :shrug:

Mine is an S2, and has no trace of this alleged green, but that's moot since the S2s are sold out now.

thanks, it looks like ill be getting a preon 2
An excellent choice. :thumbsup:

mdpvs7

Newly Enlightened
I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all the good info - looks like I'm going to get a Preon 2 as well - either all black or titanium black. Didn't know I needed one until now....

Kindle

Enlightened
A little belated but...

If absolute ruggedness is your overriding priority then you might want to take a look at Peak LEDs Eiger (AAA) & El Capitan (AA).

They are only a single level (but you can specify that level when you order) and the tail switch is momentary only (not clicky) and costs extra but they come in aluminum, stainless steel, brass & titanium (which costs more) are available with one or two cell bodies & are about as bullet proof as you'll find.

I carry a Preon regularly and it is a fantastic light but when I'm doing something where the light is going to get banged around a lot I reach for ay 2xAAA SS Eiger.

The Peaks may not might meet enough of your criteria to fit your needs but when it comes to ability to withstand abuse they are second to none and are well worth considering.

Some additional info that might be of use...

Dances With Flashlights' 2xAAA Peak Eiger review(note: the production Eigers use Cree XP-G emitters instead of the Rebel 100 mentioned in the review).

HKJ's review of various 1xAAA & 2xAAA lights with beamshots (includes Preon2 & Fenix LD05).

Fenix also has the LD03 coming out soon.

Last edited:

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I hope mine (bought 5) hold up. I will say that the MicroStream DOES seem to be more durable, but time will tell.
i loved the light, and was so suprised when i heard the light clang against the ladder and it never worked again...

my illumina TI is sweet though same size but indestructible fully potted

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see I'm late to the party, but I'd have to second the Peak Eiger 2xAAA recommendation. It's a little more than you want to spend, but worth every penny!

Kindle

Enlightened
i loved the light, and was so suprised when i heard the light clang against the ladder and it never worked again...

my illumina TI is sweet though same size but indestructible fully potted

Just FYI the head from your Illumina TI should fit onto the body from your (now dead) Microstream. You'll need to be careful removing the streamlight's head as it is glued/epoxied on and the application of a little heat might be necessary but once it's off the TI head should screw right on. There are a number threads on the swap here just search for Fenix/Preon/Eos Microstream swaps. So if you like the Illumina but just want the convenience of a clicky switch & a clip and you still have the Microstream laying around you have a potential solution without needing to spend another dime. ;)

Also I forgot to mention that in another thread on the topic someone brought up a good point about the Snap-On penlight & it's lifetime warranty...if it breaks you can just hand it over to be replaced by the driver from the Snap-On truck the next time he stops by.