MG L-Mini II review

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
Take care about the little space any Lithium battery needs because its volume can increase a bit while dischargins and preventing it by letting no space around the battery can cause dangerous overheating.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a winner! :p Received my L-Mini II today. I'm very happy with it. I've been wanting a small 18650 light but haven't pulled the trigger on any of the others till this one. It was too attractive to pass up... In every sense of the word.

I got the cool Q5 version plus a turbo head.

Things I like.....

-The knurling looks and feels great.

-Tailstands

-The Low-Med-Hi sequence when mode switching.

-I really like the feel of the switch, as well as the smooth texture of the boot. I like the taper the switch cap has surrounding the button. It adds to the nice feel.

-The 3 output modes are spaced about as good as you can get. Medium is bright! I used the light most of the day today, and need something bright when there's so much ambient light and it was a pleasure to use. Some of you ask about the output on low and I agree with the assessment that it seems to be around 18 lumens. I removed the head to expose the bare emitter and compared it to my Zebralight H501, and it is very close to the Med setting on the ZL which is rated to be 18 lumens.

-I usually don't like last output memory but I do on this one. And it works flawlessly.

-I like the ability to be able to switch heads. I just tried the Turbo head now that it got dark and this thing really throws. :huh: I live in a residential area and don't have anything further than about 200-250ft to shine it at, but it lights up things at that distance, no problem! The standard head even throws pretty well also.

-The runtime & regulation are top notch. It's nice to have 7-8 hrs of ~100 lumens, in your pocket! (med)

-Price! This is a lot of light for that.

Edit to add: My light will lockout with a slight backing-off of the tailcap.

I can't find much to fault, especially considering the cost...

-Some would probably like to see a clip come with it. I've got a few I might try to fit but I don't think I'll use one on this light. (note: It does come with a holster)

-Some might prefer a forward clicky w/momentary On, but I feel the reverse clicky works best on this type of UI.

-As someone noted, the edges are sharp where the lanyard attaches. That might be a concern for some.

If you've been looking for something like this, like I have, I don't see how you can go wrong on this one. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
On top of all of the things that Lite_me said, this light also has protection circuitry, so you can run unprotected cells without having to worry about overdischarge. I have over a dozen cells from a laptop, so this light is perfect for using them. The automatic switch to low when the battery is nearly depleted is also very useful for preserving runtime.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which brand and capacity of cells are you using?
I haven't had the light long enough to do any runtimes myself.
I was more or less quoting the graph in post #1. Right now I'm using AW 2200mAh but in order to get the runtimes shown in the graph, it looks like you'll have to use something with more capacity. Mev's runtimes from light-reviews always seem to be less than anyone else's. Not sure why that is. Could be his cells are losing capacity.

On top of all of the things that Lite_me said, this light also has protection circuitry, so you can run unprotected cells without having to worry about overdischarge. I have over a dozen cells from a laptop, so this light is perfect for using them. The automatic switch to low when the battery is nearly depleted is also very useful for preserving runtime.

I forgot about those things. I knew I'd forget something. :ironic:

One other thing, it has reverse-polarity protection in case you install the battery in backwards. Who hasn't done that. :whistle:

Last edited:

Lermite

Newly Enlightened
According to the test of LightReview: http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513
The AW 2200 mAh is one of the worst 18650.
My graph in post #1 was made with a Trustfire 2500 mAh blue.
I tested the high mode with an 18650 Ultrafire 3000 mAh and I'm testing another L-Mini II Q5 and with a Trustfire 2400 mAh black. Still according to LightReview's test, this battery is about as good as the new AW 2600 mAh, and I know it is about the same than the Trustfire 2500 mAh.
The test in still running in medium mode and remains to do in low mode but I have the result is high mode:
L-Mini II Q5 #1 Trustfire 2500 mAh blue: 2:17 until switching to low, 8:28 until switching off.
L-Mini II Q5 #1 Ultrafire 3000 mAh red: 2:06 until switch to low, 15:46 until switching off.
L-Mini II Q5 #2 Trustfire 2400 mAh black: 2:23 until switching to low, 7:28 until switching off.
Don't ask me why I don't like AW :rolleyes:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other thing, it has reverse-polarity protection in case you install the battery in backwards. Who hasn't done that. :whistle:

Fortunately, I've avoided any meltdowns of this sort, but my wife just toasted a Romisen RC-C3 Q5 by popping an RCR123 in backwards... :eek: smoke and stink like crazy.

As for the L-mini II, I continue to be so impressed with this light. I'm very happy to have it. The feature set, small size, and 18650 powering makes for a really great combination. Highly recommend this light. While I find the warm emitter a little less sharp in terms of object definition than a cool emitter is, the color rendition is fantastic. I'm considering buying a second one with the cool emitter as well... and a turbo head.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Lermite - Great review, merci beaucoup!

This light seems to have all the hallmarks of a classic. I really like the generous floody spill, yet still maintaining good throw. That is a neat trick to pull off.

Thank you for the nice review!

Must...resist...pulling...out...wallet...

:broke:

What do you mean, I do not understand? Your reasoning eludes me.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
L-Mini II Q5 #1 Trustfire 2500 mAh blue: 2:17 until switching to low, 8:28 until switching off.
L-Mini II Q5 #1 Ultrafire 3000 mAh red: 2:06 until switch to low, 15:46 until switching off.
L-Mini II Q5 #2 Trustfire 2400 mAh black: 2:23 until switching to low, 7:28 until switching off.

Been reading a lot of good things about Trustfire cells... with a pair of Trustfire 18650 2400 mAh cells going for $10 including shipping from DX, I'm ready to try some Trustfires! Thanks, Lermite, for your contributions!

L-mini II and Trustfire 18650 2400 mAh looks like a great combo!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the nice review!

Must...resist...pulling...out...wallet...

:broke:

What do you mean, I do not understand? Your reasoning eludes me.

I meant, "I am already near broke, but this light looks so incredibly tempting, it is going to take lots of willpower not to purchase it."

I failed; the light should arrive from Brooklyn tomorrow.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a much better thing to "waste" your money on. For $41/$45, it is a very good deal considering its quality, features, and regulation.

hazna

Enlightened
I just received my MG L-Mini II Q3 (warm tint) version!

Here are my initial thoughts:

-Reasonable size, would be ok for pocket carry in a coat. Slightly large for carrying in a pants pocket, but still 'do-able'

-I agree that the lanyard holes are little sharp, that there's a fair chance it will cut the lanyard over time. I will try putting a split ring there and attach that to the lanyard instead.

-This is my first warm tinted light. Still a little undecided whether I like it or not. The tint on this flashlight is quite yellow. I find that the tint is good for outdoor use, but I don't really like it indoors. Will try using it a bit more to see how it goes. Someone mentioned that the tint is greenish on low... I personally don't find it greenish, but maybe 'sickly yellow'. The tint generally looks better on medium or high.

-I like the feel of the clicky on this light.

-I like that you can take the head off and use it in a 'candle mode' for more flood

-There is a decent hot-spot and good spill. It has less flood than my fenix L1D, which I find a little too floody for outdoor usage.

-I haven't tested the regulation, but from previous data, I like the idea that this light is well regulated (then drops to a lower mode at the end).

-I find that for indoor usage the difference between med and high is not as noticeable (but still noticeable if you compare the ceiling bounce). I find that it is more noticeable in outdoor usage. Ideally I would like medium to be 'user-settable', however this would probably affect the regulation of this light.

-Comparing the build quality of this light with my fenix l1d. I would say that I like the feel of my fenix l1d better. To me the fenix build quality seems better (e.g. tailcap spring, reflector, feel of the threads). Mind you the L-mini II is cheaper than the fenix though.

-Overall I'm fairly happy with this purchase, I will use it for pocket carry in my coat (its starting to get cold where I am now). It will be good for using outdoors in nature settings.

However I'm not totally blown away with it. I wish it was slightly smaller but its probably as good as it gets with 18650 flashlights. I would be interested in to see what the Q5 version is like, I think I would like that version more for indoor/suburban use.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately, I've avoided any meltdowns of this sort, but my wife just toasted a Romisen RC-C3 Q5 by popping an RCR123 in backwards... :eek: smoke and stink like crazy.

I'm considering buying a second one with the cool emitter as well... and a turbo head.
Get the Mrs. to buy the turbo head to replace the RC-C3 :poke: :D

I am glad to see lots of good info on the driver.
I bought the L-Mini II driver from Shiningbeam today to convert a spare P60 R2 drop-in into a 3-mode.

I told myself no more lights large that aren't P60 compatible, but I may have to alter that rule (again) :ohgeez: :D

Retral

Newly Enlightened

Holy crap, is it really that easy to fry a 123a light?

I'd feel pretty miserable if I did that to my new P3D (or does it have protection?).

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got some Solarforce R2 5-mode lamps that I wouldn't mind converting to L-mini driver... that sounds great... how difficult is the conversion for a novice soldering iron wielder?
Should be straightforward. The key is to make a clean solder connection - something I still don't get regularly :(

Remove the solder from the two spots on bottom of the pill to release the circuit from the pill base (my SuperBright R2 5-mode circuit fell out on it's own due to poor soldering :thumbsdow) and then desolder the two wires from the LED.

Reverse the process to re-assemble. Based on the pictures on the Shiningbeam site, will probably have to trim the wires on the L-Mini II driver a bit.

Latest posts