MicroMcLuxArc : R2H 1W running on 1 AAA

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
DOOOON, please sell some, pleezzzzz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to detract from the oft-repeated request TO PLEASE MAKE THESE AVAILABLE DON, PLEASE, PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

...but, could the same mod be done on an Infinity Ultra? I'd love to be able to run off a single AA, which would also mean I could use a lithium cell for better cold weather performance, etc. I know I could just buy an LSH-P, but I love the Infinity Ultra's simple design, and it's certainly an affordable host for the mod!

Okay, maybe I think it would be a cool mod to do, too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, Don, could you please mass produce your mod ASAP? Pretty please? Did I mention that?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
or maybe share your design to DSpeck so that he can get into that after the firefly done? pretty please?

paulr

Flashaholic
I think a mod for an Infinity/Ultra might be able to use a Madmax, which is readily available. It wouldn't need the tiny Arcmania converter.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Nyuknyuk, vindicated!
The "conventional wisdom" seems to have been that cut-down optics suck! Voila, a credible discovery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
OK,
Last beam shot:

On the left a stock Arc AAA and on the right the Optic version with the Luxeon.

nichia-lux-beam.jpg

I know that from a few inches from target, they both look bright, they are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can see that the hot spot of the Luxeon unit is quite a bit larger than the Nichia. From 20" I did a lux measurement and the Arc AAA clocked at 82 lux and the lux mod clocked in at 235 lux. The chopped NX05 actually gives a nice broader beam than the standard NX05.

Larry,

I like the chopped NX05 better than the stock one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As to making more of these, please understand that the micro converters are not available currently and their fate is up to ArcMania. I do believe that with his custom components and minature size that a premium is likely in terms of cost here. Much like a laptop VS a desktop PC.

I don't know what the new CMG looks like so I can't make any comment on its modibility. I can state that it's pretty cool, literally, under driving these Luxeons.

- Don

paulr

Flashaholic
I meant the old AA-powered CMG Infinity/Infinity Ultra, not the new AAA-powered CMG Sonic. I'm looking at an Ultra-G and a BB400 sandwich right now. The sandwich drops into the Ultra-G's battery tube easily, but I think it's about 1mm too wide to fit into the head. A new head would probably have to be made, possibly slightly larger than the battery tube, similar to your Arc AAA head. Or it just MIGHT be possible to sand down the edges of the BB400 board (or more relevantly, the Madmax) so it fits in the CMG head, depending on how close the components and PC traces go to the edge of the board. I can't really tell with the BB400 because of the potting compound in the sandwich.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nukiez said:
The stock zetex circuit in infinity ultra can be modified easily to drive a Luxeon at full power.

Without modification to the circuit, it will drive the luxeon at 260ma @ 3volts and 66ma @ 1.3volts which means the original nichia LED is overdriven nicely.

Vince.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince, you've got me interested in this. Are there details posted somewhere? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm looking at my Ultra-G right now, and it looks like I'd break the converter board in just trying to remove it.

I'm also confused at your 260ma/3V and 66ma/1.3V references. Do you mean 3V source power drives the LED at 260ma, and 1.3V source drives the LED at 66ma? This doesn't make sense to me; I thought the Ultra-G was a regulated light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
...so... would you consider a limited run if people supplied the converter from their Micro-Illuminators?

Jon

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
The converter board in MicroIlluminator is tooo big for an Arc AAA head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif What McGizmo used is one of the prototype boards that Arcmania made---barely the diameter of a LS-emitter and a couple of milimeters thick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif ---that must have been the smallest converter board currently in existance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
No matter - my micro-illuminator arrived last night. I'm not doing ANYTHING to it - it rocks just the way it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon