Mil Spec Chroma tail cap on Solar Force L2P???

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Evening all!
So I picked up some parts in a horse trade deal and I find a pristine two stage Mil Spec Chroma tail cap floating around still in the factory wrapper in the bottom of the box o' junk and I can't get it to work on my L2P with a Vinh XPE2 module in it.
It appears that because the body of the L2P is capable of running an 18650, the contacts in the switch don't actually touch the body.

How can I make this work? I tried some crude mods in an attempt to see if it'll even remotely work, but none have so far.
I did take the switch apart, and it does in fact work, but with the switch in it's housing it misses the body entirely. Dag nab it!!! :(>

Help me please!
I can't afford to go buy a Surefire right now just to get a switch to work!

Thanks in advance!!

J.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure how that tail cap look like but these are my few suggestion.

1) Remove any anodizing on the thread of your host and/or your tailcap.

2) Are you able to remove the switch from the tail cap?
If yes, try to stack something below your switch so that your switch sits higher.
I did something similar with McClicky switches.
eha8ebab.jpg

See the small spring under the retaining ring?
That is to increase the height of the retaining ring, so that it can touch the host.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, crap... this is second thread in 10 minutes I'm writing right after Dell... dude, please don't take it the bad way, I guess the same threads are catching our eyes... lol... btw, I've seen this thread where you showed that insulation trick on McClicky in Solarforce tailcaps and it's a great little mod...

To return to original question - the Kroma tailcap will not work on any bored hosts - so stock Solarforce or bored Surefire - and there is no contact... the only way to use Kroma tailcap is to have regular Surefire tube (it will work on 6P, C2, Z2 and even Nitrolon G2)... but only stock so if you plan to use it's features you'll be forced to use 17670 cell... unless you improvise a new contact instead of two stars inside the tailcap which would stretch all the way to the wall of the tailcap and thus make contact with wide bodies...

I have one mint Kroma tailcap and honestly have no idea WHY I have it... :) Oh, the stock resistor will not give you much different outputs on low and high at 6V... at lower volts it would (I've ran mine in Surefire G3 with Malkoff M31 on 2xAA cells and it's a nice low/high)... so you'd have to replace the resistor to a higher one to get better lows...

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
You will probably need something like this which is a adapter I made for a McClicky for a Solarforce tail cap.

photo.jpg

Last edited: