Milky Candle Pilot Run... (MC2 Teaser Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Milky Candle Pilot Run... (SOME NEW PHOTOS).

Roger, sure. You're listed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Would you mind putting me on the list for the next batch of candles? I seem to be collecting quite a few batteries that I'd like to try get every last drop out of. This seems like the ticket to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

TwoGun, got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks for the kind words, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milkyspit, please add me to your waiting list for the 'Candles. I would like 2 or 3 of them. They'd be great as camping nightlights.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashworm

Newly Enlightened

milkyspit, count me in for 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

DSpeck and flashworm, got you both on the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

MY, you're listed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

rfdancer

Newly Enlightened

Scott what's the status of the MilkyCandle? It's been almost a month and a half since you've posted anything on it.

naromtap

Enlightened

Milky can you put me down for a couple of these?

Cheers,

Pat.

Corolla

Newly Enlightened

I probually missed it but what is the (expected)price?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Naromtap, you're down for a couple. Thanks for your support! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Corolla, the first run sold for $23 each plus shipping, give or take a dollar or so due to fluctuations in parts cost. For the next run, which will involve a much larger number of Milky Candles, a completely new and more efficient circuit is being designed. Price? My guess is that it will end up falling somewhere in the $29-39 range per unit. Please don't hold me to that! But right now I think that's a pretty safe estimate, and as always I'll try to bring the price as low as feasible.

BTW, everyone on the wait list will be offered the new units as they become available, in the order that folks joined the list. Some people have been waiting a VERY long time! Hopefully they'll be pleased with the product.

Anyway, thanks all for your patience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

felder

Newly Enlightened

Stick me on the list for two of these please.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oscartrucker and felder, you're both on the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

AK

Newly Enlightened

Please put me down for one as well.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

TheBeam, you've been on the list for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Still on the list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AK, you're listed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just checking to make sure I'm on the list... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Two comments. First, if you're going to use a white LED, please leave the option for the user to solder on a red LED and switch. This would make a great nightlight and red would be a little better in that respect. More efficient and better on the eyes.

Secondly, what do you guys think about using other batteries with this? I inevitably have a bunch of batteries that come from lights that I'm sure still have more juice in them. If at all possible, I'd like to solder on a plug to allow external battery packs. Do I really need to worry about making sure that the batteries are all at the same charge? If I have a whole bunch of old AAs(lets say 12) and I divide them into three banks of four in series, do I really need to worry about one bank eventually trying to charge the other bank?

The other benefit of having an external plug would be to make it easy to use with rechargeables and a solar cell.

I dun know. Just thinking aloud.

Thanks.

Mark

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Minjin, yup, you're on the list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regarding the red LED, I was originally thinking along the lines of having a socket for the LED itself, so the user could choose whichever one they wanted. The downside to the socket is that it makes assembling the boards a little more troublesome, and the socketed connection itself is inherently less reliable than an LED soldered directly into the board. Plus my own testing and that of a few others found that a white LED driven at VERY low levels, provides plenty of light and runs for a LOOOOONG time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The initial pilot run of Milky Candles was running its lowest setting, "nightlight mode," for roughly 1000 hours in regulation using a fresh pair of 123 cells, and the new circuit will run for much longer than even that. Then again, there's no technical reason that the circuit couldn't use pretty much any LED... white, red... even a Luxeon driven at very low levels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I suppose maybe I could have a certain number of boards available with a red LED rather than white? Or maybe sell the boards themselves for those inclined to tinker? I don't have any sense of how much interest there might be in those options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Regarding other battery configurations, the new circuit will actually accommodate pretty much any configuration within reason. It'll be a buck switching topology, so the main requirement would be that the voltage supplied exceed Vf of the LED... otherwise the circuit would fall into direct drive. So with a white Nichia, 2x123 works, as would 4AAA, 4AA, 4C, 4D, 6AA, 3x123, 2xCR2, and many more. It's the housing itself that is specifically designed for 2x123.

I'll follow MR Bulk's lead in saying flat out that this 2x123 run will most likely be followed with another iteration of the Milky Candle powered by the same circuit, but in a totally different configuration, heh heh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.