Milky Candle Pilot Run... (MC2 Teaser Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Re: Milky Candle Pilot Run... (SOME NEW PHOTOS).

Thanks for remembering me. I would also be interested in a plain board. This sound very interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems Sasha was messing with the colors.
Back on topic: when is the current expected delivery date for these?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:

Two comments. First, if you're going to use a white LED, please leave the option for the user to solder on a red LED and switch. This would make a great nightlight and red would be a little better in that respect. More efficient and better on the eyes.

Secondly, what do you guys think about using other batteries with this? I inevitably have a bunch of batteries that come from lights that I'm sure still have more juice in them. If at all possible, I'd like to solder on a plug to allow external battery packs. Do I really need to worry about making sure that the batteries are all at the same charge? If I have a whole bunch of old AAs(lets say 12) and I divide them into three banks of four in series, do I really need to worry about one bank eventually trying to charge the other bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

Interesting thoughts. Red LEDs, of course, have another advantage in that they can be driven from a single 123 cell (in fact the second cell in the MC is a 'waste' in this use). And yes, they make great nightlights. I've got half a dozen spread aournd the house, they need charging once a month (except the ones with photocells, which go two months).

And for sure there's nothing sacred with the 2X123 configuration, any source .1 Volt or more higher than Vf will work fine. If the goal is to drain old cells dry (and it sounds like it is) I see nothing wrong with not matching cells. A large series/parallel bank like you propose should be fine.

As a suggestion, since you can solder, why not go to WorldTorch and order the DIY kit for four dollars (including shipping)? It has all the parts I used in the original MC circuit (except the center off switch, a 'Radio Shack' part), even includes a white LED to get you going. You get a small (roughly 3/4 by 1/2 inch) perf board assembly at any of the three original currents (or any other you'd like if you supply the resistor), all three if you supply a center off switch.

FWIW, I too have the 'two color bug' and have built several versions of this circuit that feature just this (two LEDs and a switch to select them), including one that has snap connectors on it so you can clip it on a 3 or 4 AA cell holder (or a 9 volt battery in a pinch). Not all that useful, but fun to play with.

FWIW, my favorite power source remains 3 NiMH cells. Honest efficiencies over 90% are easily possible. It's also interesting at 12 Volts with 3 (white) LEDs in series.

So, that's my advice, get the DIY kit and invent a candle of your own......

Doug Owen

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sotto, I added you to the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Pi, sometime this summer... although I'll be trying for sooner rather than later.

Minjin, one more thing I forgot. With a red LED, it would indeed (at least I'm pretty sure) run in regulation on a single 123 cell, plus with the new circuit, the 2x123 configuration would dramatically extend the runtime.

rfdancer

Newly Enlightened

I'd second the thought from Doug Owen, install two led's, one white and one red, with a selector switch to select the one you wish to use. That would be a very nice addition. Either that or make some available in white and some in red so people can buy two!!

ws

Newly Enlightened

Put me down for two in the second run. White LEDs. PM also sent. Thank you.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

ws and ksbman, you're both on the list. Many thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I don't rate homemade, modified, and other non-commercial products on my website, but if I did rate them, I'd probably give the Milky Candle 4 1/2 stars. The only thing I can readily see that would knock half a star off is that the Milky Candle is not water-resistant. But for its primary intended use, I don't think it really needs to be.

My page about the Milky Candle is right here if you haven't already seen it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've really got to stop reading those reviews. I know this is the tail end of the tail end but . . .could you put me down for one or two? TIA, LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

ROFL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Lunal_Tic, you're in. I've got you down for two units. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beamer, sure thing! I'm not sure what shipping to Guam will cost, but for now, you're on the list. Thanks dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott,

Thanks for the late entry. I know I read it someplace in the previous 21 pages but can't find it now, will it run on one cell and a dummy(and no I don't mean me)?

Later,
LT

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

LT, the new circuit that will make its appearance in the next build of the Milky Candle should run fine with a single 123 cell plus a spacer, but won't drive the MC at "high" brightness. It would quite possibly drive it at "medium" and definitely would work at "low." So yes, in a pinch a single 123 cell would be fine, but 2x123 would give you the full benefit of the MC circuit plus allow the device to discharge the cells more deeply.

On the other hand, the same circuit driving a red LED (I'm mulling over building a certain number with red rather than white LED) would work absolutely fine with a single 123 cell.

Hope that helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Scott. I was just wondering how I would handle the "odd man out" syndrome. I use a lot of 1 cell lights; so I probably won't have many evenly discharged cells to put in the light. I was concerned it might not work right. As for red, hmm that sounds very interesting. (Please stop coming up with new ideas, at least until I get the first units. At this rate I'll never be able to complete the requests.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later,
LT

Status
Not open for further replies.