"Mini-Blaster"

Otokoyama

Enlightened
\"Mini-Blaster\"

The Blaster II is a great light, with just the right amount of light for most of my purposes. However, I've always been a fan of C-sized lights for carry convenience.

So, I made a "Mini-Blaster" based on the Blaster design and components, including 1W LD and 30mm optics. The Blaster weighs in at 30 oz. while the Mini weighs 12 oz.

Here's a Blaster with the Mini. The Mini body is a Mag 2C, with the emitter, heat sink, MicroPuck, and 30mm optics packed into the area that used to contain the focus assembly. The bezel is a very much cut down Mag reflector holder. (Those of you with lathes would laugh in pity if I told you how I did this.)
MiniBlasterWBlaster.jpg

I got the 1W LD Luxeon Star kit from LED Supply, including the MicroPuck, and 30mm optics from Elektrolumens. This shows the heat sink with MicroPuck attached, spacer ring, and cut down Mag switch.
MiniBlasterHeadParts.jpg

Here they are stacked up ready to be pushed into the 2C body. Not shown is the C ring that locks everything into place. The 30mm optics need to be cut down to an actual 30mm to fit inside the bezel.
MiniBlasterHead.jpg

While it looks like I got messy with the Artic Alumina epoxy (which I did), this was intentionally done in an attempt to reflect stray light back into the 30mm lens.
MiniBlasterBody.jpg

It's a nice compact carry light. If I used a BadBoy instead of the MicroPuck, I assume the light output would equal the Blaster II. As it is, it comes close, and I'm trading some brightness for runtime with the relatively limited 2C power source.

5W 2C-size and 2D-size versions are already in the works.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re:

very nice!

where did you get the heatsink? looks very nice.

i just got your 3 done, so i will send them on monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Re:

Rothrandir: I'm still waiting for the turned heatsinks from you, but in the mean time I did the ol' bandsaw and belt sander thing. Had some free time today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: \"Mini-Blaster\"

Dang guys! This is a nice mod and worthy or having its subject title re-instated, yes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otokoyama,

Keep the modding juices flowing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

- Don

Otokoyama

Enlightened

It sounds like there was an off-thread controversy regarding the title of this thread. I'm not formally calling this the Mini-Blaster, since the Blaster name (trademark?) is already well recognized and associated with Elektrolumens. I am informally calling this the "Mini-Blaster" since its inspiration is obvious, and I'm hoping that it suggests a 2C product offering that I feel would be popular.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Otokoyama,

I'm not aware of any controversey, merely an apparent glitch in the software where anyone wanting to quick comment will post with a blank subject line! Perhaps this is because of the quote marks? When the subject gets changed or omitted completely, it's difficult to follow along....

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re:

Otokoyama,

That's a fantastic job for no lathe! Your thermal management is more than adaquate and the burn time if you include "moon mode" is going to amaze you!

Larry

B@rt

Flashaholic

Nice work Otokoyama! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Just wondering why you left the emitter on the circuit board. Isn't it better to mount the bare emitter directly on the heatsink? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

VERY nice!!! Love that size. A 5W of that size with recharable bat-pack with a charger jack would be awesome!

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Re:

B@rt: I left the emitter on the circuit board because that's the way I received the emitter, and I didn't see any compelling thermal management advantage in taking it off.

IsaacHayes: The 2D-sized 5W version I'm working on will take a 6AA battery pack, and is only 1" longer--though of course wider--but will have more space for a reflector or optics. The Dat2zip Wizard converter board may provide some 2C-sized options when it's available. Plus, LED Supply said they will have a much smaller PowerPuck for 5W emitters in 2 to 3 months.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini-Blaster

McGizmo -

I see what you mean. I wonder if this post will fix it.

Otokoyama -

Nice work.