Mini Review - Nuwait Quantum III 3 Watt

Mark2

Enlightened
Just wanted to note that my price of $58 includes worldwide shipping in a brand-new PostPak.

BillBill: Nuwai already had 2 Luxeon III models in the series launched this spring.

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
Yes his include postage. but my price is only in Singapore.
So if you add postage from Singapore to US will be around the same. Maybe just US$1-2 cheaper and it takes longer time to fly over to US.

[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
Just wanted to note that my price of $58 includes worldwide shipping in a brand-new PostPak.

BillBill: Nuwai already had 2 Luxeon III models in the series launched this spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Made an edit to correct line spacing problems with my comp. That crappy pouch fits my bowling pin very well.

I dont have the Pelican M6 LED so I wouldnt know. Nowadays I am more inclined towards pocket sized Luxeons lights which use only one CR123A.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
Made an edit to correct line spacing problems with my comp. That crappy pouch fits my bowling pin very well.

I dont have the Pelican M6 LED so I wouldnt know. Nowadays I am more inclined towards pocket sized Luxeons lights which use only one CR123A.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Sounds great; can't wait to get mine. Do you have a DMM to see what the current draw is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what is a DMM? Sorry.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mark2,

What's the other model like? Is it a single CR123? Any links?

Thanks.

ILLUStratION

Newly Enlightened

Mark2

Enlightened
Canuckle: The other models were both 2 cell 123 models with 2 brighhtness settings and variable focus.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
SJackal,

How does the Nuwai's brightness compare to your Surefire L2? If you do a ceiling test it should give you an immediate answer to which one is brighter.

I am hesitant to accept many manufacturer's claims to their flashlight's lumen capability. From what i've heard from Mark's review, he said that he would rate the Nuwai somewhere between 40-60 lumens. Still, pretty damn bright. I usually test my flashlight's brightness against known lumen rated flashlights like Surefire. I consider the Surefire L4 really 65 lumens, and base every other flashlight on my L4. I think the L2 is the same.

Anyway, this is a great review...it only makes me want to buy this one even more. Thanks for the review.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with LEDagent, but with the following difference - Even Surefire isn't correct with their lumen ratings, albeit conservative. So, for me, ratings that are simply "brighter or throws farther" than a known quantity, like a SF L4 works best. No numerical assignment necessary to tell me what I need to know.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Thanks for the images ILLUStratION and welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
SJackal,

How does the Nuwai's brightness compare to your Surefire L2? If you do a ceiling test it should give you an immediate answer to which one is brighter.

I am hesitant to accept many manufacturer's claims to their flashlight's lumen capability. From what i've heard from Mark's review, he said that he would rate the Nuwai somewhere between 40-60 lumens. Still, pretty damn bright. I usually test my flashlight's brightness against known lumen rated flashlights like Surefire. I consider the Surefire L4 really 65 lumens, and base every other flashlight on my L4. I think the L2 is the same.

Anyway, this is a great review...it only makes me want to buy this one even more. Thanks for the review.

[/ QUOTE ]

How careless of me not to mention the ceiling bounce test!! The Nuwai's lumens are rather exaggerated, the 3 watter no where close to an Surefire L2, which is after all a 5 watter, and Surefire is known to be conservative in their ratings.

Alright I done the ceiling test in an enclosed room which is approximately about 12X10X9 feet space. The walls are white and there's furnitures (my bedroom).

Comparision lights are as follows:

Nuwai Quantum III 3 watt
Longbow Micra 1 watt
Surefire L2
Surefire 6P with P60 lamp
NEC Fluoroscent tube, Daylight 15 watts(from my aquarium)

The ceiling bounce test shows that the Fluroscent tube lights up the room adequately, but a somewhat gloom to it, a 30 watt tube would light up the room brightly for office use.

The L2 appears (at least to me), to be about half brightness of the 15 watt flouroscent tube, and it gave the white walls a very slight pinkish tint. The 6P is slightly less, and the room is yellowish.

The 1 watt Micra and the 3 watt Nuwai comes up to about the same brightness with each other. There is no noticable difference to the naked eye. Both the Micra and Nuwai is about 50% to 60% of the L2/6P's brightness as it appears to me. They are however, brighter than the L2's low beam.

Although from the above comparision it's about a quarter of the 15 watt fluroscent tube's brightness, but it is more than enough bright to light up the whole room to see adequately, and that is impressive. Afterall, we are comparing a pocket sized light against a fluoroscent tube. It is certainty able to surprise the average Joe by lighting up a dark room with that pocket light.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
SJackal,

[/ QUOTE ]

How careless of me not to mention the ceiling bounce test!! The Nuwai's lumens are rather exaggerated, the 3 watter no where close to an Surefire L2, which is after all a 5 watter, and Surefire is known to be conservative in their ratings.

Alright I done the ceiling test in an enclosed room which is approximately about 12X10X9 feet space. The walls are white and there's furnitures (my bedroom).

Comparision lights are as follows:

Nuwai Quantum III 3 watt
Longbow Micra 1 watt
Surefire L2 (on high beam)
Surefire 6P with P60 lamp
NEC Fluoroscent tube, Daylight 15 watts(from my aquarium)

The ceiling bounce test shows that the Fluroscent tube lights up the room adequately, but a somewhat gloom to it, a 30 watt tube would light up the room brightly for office use.

The L2 appears (at least to me), to be about half brightness of the 15 watt flouroscent tube, and it gave the white walls a very slight pinkish tint. The 6P is slightly less, and the room is yellowish.

The 1 watt Micra and the 3 watt Nuwai comes up to about the same brightness. There is no noticable difference to the naked eye. Its hard to judge between the Micra and the Nuwai because they each give a difference colour tone. Both the Micra and Nuwai is about 50% to 60% of the L2/6P's brightness. They are also brighter when compared to L2's low beam.

Although from the above comparision it's about a quarter of the 15 watt fluroscent tube's brightness, but it is more than enough bright to light up the whole room to see adequately, and that is impressive. Afterall, we are comparing a pocket sized light against a fluoroscent tube. It is certainty able to surprise the average Joe by lighting up a dark room with that pocket light.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SJACKAL said:
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Sounds great; can't wait to get mine. Do you have a DMM to see what the current draw is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what is a DMM? Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sorry, I dont have that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

nexro

Enlightened
I can confirm some of the findings that SJackal posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have an L2, Micra (modded with reflector and mineral glass lens) and the 3W Nuwai of course. Like SJackal said, the Micra and Nuwai gave almost similar brightness although the Micra is a 1W Luxeon light.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
Canuckle: The other models were both 2 cell 123 models with 2 brighhtness settings and variable focus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark2,

I recently bought a 2 CR123 cell 3Watt light that has 2 brightness settings from Gander Mountain, as part of their Guide Series brand (on sale for $36). I was thinking it might be a Nuwai light, but wasn't sure, and I can't find anything about 3Watt lights on Nuwai's website. Any way you can take a look and confirm if this is a Nuwai? Do you have any pictures/info on the other 3Watt Nuwais?

Pictures of the Guide Series light can be found in this thread and this thread.

the beakman

P.S. There's also a 3C cell 1 Watt light, a 3 CR123 cell 5 Watt light with 2 brightness levels, and a 6 LED/Xenon light under the Guide Series brand that I think may be Nuwais but can't confirm.

Latest posts