MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said: When the light first comes on it is at wide focus and it takes almost a full turn of the bezel to reach tightest focus.
So here's the comparison... with both focused to their tightest point, the brightest parts of the spots appeared to be about the same. The stock MM is very yellow while the MJLED looks nice and white. The beam of the MM is very ugly- blotchy, oval shaped, has little holes in it, etc. The beam of the MJLED is very smooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! another comparison report - thank you so much -
do you have any other LED lights that may be worthwhile comparing, please?

I'm assuming you're pretty happy with the MJLED on just plain alkalines - would be really interested in your take on the improvements on lithiums.

More feedback and impressions from CPF'ers please - I know there must be literally hundreds of MJLEDs in CPF'ers' hands judging from the 2 threads Lambda had over at the CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T forum and how quickly he sold out of them......

BTW - my MJLED installed to the crimps is about 1/8" from the base - gets tight focus at close to 3/4* turn from the off hard-stop - I like it like that.

* editted to correct to 3/4 turn

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jon_L said:
Besides having a breakthrough product, Kevin himself is super conscientious and well organized. It really shows when a vendor cares about his customers and I'm really appreciative.

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I don't understand. Is Kevin a modifier
of some brand of imported LED giving it
side-emitting qualities for the MM, or is this just a product
he gets in it's current form and re-sells?

Thanks
MB

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pajamas said: I want to buy some more MJLEDs 2nd batch (the brighter one).
MJ Cutdown High-power 5mm LED at the Sandwhich Shoppe.
Anyone know how much the shipping is?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I heard from Wayne/dat2zip of the Sandwich Shoppe - he got 1/2 the same shipment of the 2nd gen MJLEDs, and Lambda got the other half. But he said like any LED there are batch variations.

Since I was ordering Kroll switches I ordered another "MJ" LED from the Sandwich Shoppe (code: MJ_HP5) as linked above.

As an experiment I place a single MJ LED (MJ_HP5 - unit price $4.50) in the cart the shipping shown was $2.40 - 5x was $2.86, and 10x was $3.09. Seems very reasonable for multiple MJ LEDs (MJ_HP5).

[ QUOTE ]
mykall said: This is what I don't understand. Is Kevin a modifier

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the "MJ" stands for Mike Jordan.
The same "MJ" LEDs are being sold at the Sandwich Shoppe as referenced above.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
MJ Cutdown High-power 5mm LED at the Sandwhich Shoppe.

Since I was ordering Kroll switches I ordered another "MJ" LED from the Sandwich Shoppe (code: MJ_HP5) as linked above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick update -

I just got an e-mail from Wayne of the Sandwich Shoppe to inform me that my order (of just over an hour ago!) has been shipped......

Remember today is Saturday - so this is pretty impressive!

Hopefully I'll be able to compare 2 MJLEDs side by side, and have them on Kroll clickie tail-switches.....soon.

Just an observation - much as some people seem to dislike MagLites - I have always thought they were of very good quality for incandescents. I remember Consumer Reports praising the MiniMag very highly using some very complimentary terms - I know that's a long time ago - but at one time the MiniMag was an outstanding (incandescent) flashlight and may have started some people as flashaholics.

I know seeing a row of them in different colors in a store display is still somewhat of a thrill. And the fact that there are so many mods/upgrades to the MiniMag shows that there is at least some quality for that basis.

Anyway before getting side-tracked too much - I have two not too old MiniMags, of which obviously one has been upgraded to the MJLED (pewter) - the other standard unmodified (blue'ish/purple) has quite a bit more side-to-side play in the head at the tight foucus point - the MJLED/pewter has some of that too but not as much.

That play allows me to adjust the hotspot to an optimum - although it is not that nice having so much play - the MJLED/pewter is much better in this respect - where the play is just enough to make fine adjustments (normally not necessary) and won't easily get knocked out of place - whereas the standard blue'ish/purple is a bit on the loose side.

The reason I have kept the blue'ish/purple is because it is a bit of a unique color - it changes under different lighting - I think it was meant to be purple - but the anodizing was just not that deep a color.

My pewter also has kind of that ambiguity about its color just not quite as obvious - in that it looks silver sometimes other times it looks grey/pewter - it's just simply a lighter peweter.......

Thanks for listening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rdshores

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon_L said:
Besides having a breakthrough product, Kevin himself is super conscientious and well organized. It really shows when a vendor cares about his customers and I'm really appreciative.

Jon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I don't understand. Is Kevin a modifier

Thanks
MB

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a pretty good explaination of the MJLED on Lambda's web site MJLED HERE

As it states there, "ArcMania(MJ-Mike Jordan) has modified these new hi-power, super efficient large die 5mm LEDs to function as side emitters for use in flashlights with reflectors." Lambda(Kevin)includes this LED in a kit consisiting of a drilled out reflector and a mineral glass lens.

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:

More feedback and impressions from CPF'ers please - I know there must be literally hundreds of MJLEDs in CPF'ers' hands judging from the 2 threads Lambda had over at the CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T forum and how quickly he sold out of them......

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. Got mine but accidently chopped it just about
1/16th too short, this means I can turn it on and leave it
on but can't turn it off again and back on. This is because
it just pops out. No problem an accociate who's wife does
jewelry repair is going to "mini cold weld" the legs back on. Additionally I ordered a replacement and another kit.

Soooo since it's so frustrating that I can't use it normally, I decided to give it a long run test, and kill
a set of coppertop alkies in the midst.

Yesterday, at 1:30pm I fired up the MM and put the head on
to tight beam focus. Like every one else who has one, I
was astonished by the quality of light. On fresh alkies
it absolutely blows away my PT attitude. Not only does it
have more output but it way out throws it and the pure quality of the "WHITE" light is impressive. The PT even on
fresh coppertops is a blueish.

730pm I return home after leaving the MM+MJLED on and after
6 hours it still blows away the PT. It has faded a little to prduce a very slight turquoise color, but is still FAR closer to white than the PT is or ever was. The PT was NOT
left on and still has fresh alkies but even after 6 hours
the MM+MJLED still out-outputs it, and out-throws it. Even
inside the house during daylight.

10pm No change....the MJ is still where it was at 7:30pm.
Comparing it to a fresh ASP Talon w/ a white LED
it out-outputs and out-throws the fresh lithium
Talon.

Sunday (today) 7am

The MM+MJLED has been running all night. Again in
daylight I can still see the LED throw 9 feet to the
adjacent wall. I cannot see anything at 9 feet from
the PT which still has fresh coppertops and HAS NOT
been on all night. Output from both lights is
similiar at about 3 feet, however the MJ is more
Turquoise than it was yesterday and is STILL closer
to white than the VERY bluish PT.

12 Noon Really no change from 7am. MJ is holding it's
ground.

8:40pm Just got home. Will fire up the PT on it's fresh
batts to check it against the MM/MJLED. PT is
finally brighter than the MM. It only took
31 hours on alkies. I have noticed that the
MM's sweet spot has shrunken a little and is
oviously less bright. However, it still out-
thows the PT using my long hallway. Not a great
feat in itself since the attitude isn't a
thrower, but keep in mind that the PT has fresh
batts and the MM has logged 31 HOURS on
not Lith but......ALKIES.

Well, it's late and I'm going to leave the MM on the
rest of the night and see if has anything at all by
early am tomorrow when I wake up.

Regardless, I think it's safe to say the MJLED is
a WINNER.

MB

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mykall said: I decided to give it a long run test, and kill a set of coppertop alkies in the midst.
Yesterday, at 1:30pm I fired up the MM <snip>
8:40pm <snip> PT is finally brighter than the MM.<snip>
the MM has logged 31 HOURS on not Lith but......ALKIES.
Regardless, I think it's safe to say the MJLED is
a WINNER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is just so cool!

Thank you so much MB/mykall for that sterling report /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

Way to go - on how to turn adversity to advantage.

From your report and my own look-see/experience I'd say that the MJLED is more than satisfactory on plain old Alkalines.

Anyone else with some observations/comparisons using the MJLED?
- especially more reports using Lithiums?

Thanks,

junior

Enlightened
Hey unknown let us know how the mjled works from the sandwich shoppe. I have another mini-mag thats screaming for a mjled.

rdshores

Enlightened
Here's a scan of the 26,000 5mm LED(left) from Warden_jp2002 and a MJLED second batch(right) from Lambda. Note the difference in the size of the die and the shape of the lens.

MJLED.jpg

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'll bite....

I see the difference, but what are you saying about the 26,000 5mm LED? Need specs (runtime, output, etc.)

EdB

Newly Enlightened
Got my MJLEDs and Kroll clickies from the Sandwich Shoppe today, and I was sitting on ready with the reflectors drilled and waiting. WoW!!! I'm hooked! The Mini is going to spend a lot more time on my belt now, if I can get it back from my Paramedic wife!

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
rdshores said:
Here's a scan of the 26,000 5mm LED(left) from Warden_jp2002 and a MJLED second batch(right) from Lambda. Note the difference in the size of the die and the shape of the lens.
MJLED.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know if or where you can get an unmodified, stock version of the MJLED?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Donovan said: Anyone know if or where you can get an unmodified, stock version of the MJLED?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne/dat2zip of the Sandwich Shoppe said he had some....
in this Thread

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be opening another post for a new idea but it goes with this. I ALMOST bought 2 of these from the Shoppe, but I bailed at the last minute. I prefer my customs, because of brightness. Well I ended up getting a 2AA m@g REALLY cheap, mispriced (Michigan scanner raws RULE). I ground down one of my 20,000mcd LED's and drilled out the reflector, made a AA spacer (out of a dowell rod, thumb tacks, and an 18 ohm resistor) and dropped in one of my 14500's. the white draws 29-30mA, which should be a runtime of 200 or so hours, and is decientally bright. But I dodn't stop there, other LED's work too....

"""tune in for our next episode on the custom modified channel"""

Jeff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said: I ground down one of my 20,000mcd LED's

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool!

What's the beam like with the same LED un-ground - "as is" with your drilled out reflector?

How well does the LED work on the 2x regular alkaline AAs?

Thanks

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The untouched LED in the m@g is just like a single Nichia or other kind of 20' LED. The reflector is what makes the beam better. The 20K's I have, have a rather low Vf, about 3.25. On a fresh set of alky's it was ok, and on some used lithiums, it was about equiv to the Li-ION with the dropping resistor. At 30mA it is nowhere near the output of the MJLED (I'm sure), but it focuses and has decent throw, but its the runtime I was after.
I am getting ready for camping this year, my youngest is going to be old enough (2 1/2) to enjoy it. My three basics for camping are going to be...
1. Mini m@g - 1xLi-ion - 30mA white **medium output, LONG runtime, small
2. Dorcy 1xAA - Li-ION - LUX III faren 1A DD **high output, shout runtime, smaller
3. 3D m@g - 3x'D' alky - LUX III 1A DD **HIGH output, LONG runtime, GREAT throw, heavy (animal protection)

sorry for rambling.....

Jeff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said: sorry for rambling.....

[/ QUOTE ]
but au contraire... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I love reading about different applications and comparisons.
Really helps put whatever it is I'm looking at in context.

Just like this MiniMag mod with the MJLED -
I also always wanted a 3D Mag mod - yours sounds interesting - more details/link please?

Thanks.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
#2 - Re: MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

[ QUOTE ]
junior said: let us know how the mjled works from the sandwich shoppe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "MJLED" - MJ Cutdown High-power 5mm LED from the Sandwich Shoppe along with the Kroll clickies just arrived.

That's INCREDIBLE service from Wayne/dat2zip of the Sandwich Shoppe - since I only ordered these on Saturday March/5.

With very cautious (to the point of "rententive") working - especially in drilling/reaming out the reflector - I managed to install the MJ LED #2 in a matter of just minutes.

With previous experience I cut the legs at about 7/16" from the base and the newly installed MJ LED #2 push fitted up to the crimps - is also about optimum at about 3/4* turn out from the off hard-stop - which is about "perfect" for me.

How does it compare?

Patience......
MJLED2sizes.jpg

here's the "silly" size comparison shot -
silly because I usually use the MiniMag as a benchmark for size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif -
however both now have the Kroll clickie tail-switches installed.

Both heads set to optimum focus (smoothest brightest hotspot on wall approx 8ft away) -
MJLED2hdsOpt.jpg

Finally -
MJLED21.jpg
MJLED212U.jpg

both with fresh AA alkalines - #1 seems warmer in comparison but also has stronger green tint - the new #2 is a whiter white seems "bluer" in comparison - but in isolation seems pretty neutral white. Haven't yet made up my mind which I prefer -
I favor a warmer/yellower white - but don't like green too much.......

Compared to good 1 watt Luxeon (1x CR123) S1801 -
MJLED2S1801.jpg
MJLED2S18012U.jpg

the 1 watt Luxeon is definitely warmer and nicer tint, to me - but the MJLED #2 seems pretty nice still - I know many may like this kind of whiter white. MJLED #2 is perhaps not quite as bright - but we are talking about the same/similar ballpark....

whereas:
MJLED2Arc.jpg
MJLED2Arc2U.jpg

the legendary ArcAAA is simply just not really in the same class....

Oh, Kroll switches - I love them - they make these MiniMags so much more usable for me.

I did have problems with one:
Kroll.jpg

when received this one did not work at all - I figured that it may have just been bad/poor contact - so I pried the side contact wire out a bit more - that didn't do it.

So I pulled on the main spring and it just popped out and I could see it needed good contact with a small spring in a hole - so I made sure that the main spring was oriented to do that - and it's worked fine since.....

Boy! am I pleased with these!

It's got to be one of the Best Buys for now..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thank you to both Lambda/Kevin and dat2zip/Wayne (Sandwich Shoppe) for making these MJ-LEDs available to us.

* editted to correct to 3/4 turn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
VT m@g mod couldent be easier. basically a space needle but a 'D' size. hotlips heatsink (I used) or an O Sink, I think the emitter is a TW1L (B/S/T) $10 ea. Direct Drive 900-1100mA. WOW, Throws like a rocket.
Jeff

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
Ok WildRice,

Can you explain your last post, but in newbie terms? Better yet, I'll PM you. Thanks.