MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said: the other standard unmodified (blue'ish/purple) has quite a bit more side-to-side play in the head at the tight foucus point - the MJLED/pewter has some of that too but not as much.

That play allows me to adjust the hotspot to an optimum - although it is not that nice having so much play - the MJLED/pewter is much better in this respect - where the play is just enough to make fine adjustments (normally not necessary) and won't easily get knocked out of place - whereas the standard blue'ish/purple is a bit on the loose side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another slight benefit to doing this second MJLED mod is that the head wobble/side-to-side play at optimum focus point on this blue'ish purple MiniMag has been reduced to about the same level as my light pewter (MJLED #1)....

OK, how does installing another "bulb" improve something mechanical like the focussing head?

It's simply how these MJLEDs sit installed. I have them pushed in up to the crimps which leaves about 1/8" leg showing. The emitter position is somewhat lower than the stock bulb - so that the optimum focus point (the largest brightest smoothest hotspot on a wall about 8 feet away for me) is noticably less turn out from the off hard-stop.

Both my MJLED mod'ed MiniMags are about 3/4 turn out from the off hard-stop position. With less turn out this means the heads have more threads engaged - therefore less wobble.

Centering and focus of MJLED - this is quite a lot easier with the MJLEDs installed to the crimps - since that leaves about 1/8" of leg protruding - and it's easy to slightly adjust the MJLED to obtain better centering and focus in the reflector.

I think the overall emitter is basically larger and much better shape than the incandescent element of the original bulb - so it is much less critical to get a really good optimum focus - it is not that critical - the MJLED can actually be quite a bit off-center yet one can get a very nice optimum focus hotspot/side-spill.

It is only when one de-focusses the beam to get a flood beam (with attendant doughnut hole) that the centering becomes noticable.

My MJLED #1 was installed almost perfectly centered - so that this transition from optimum focus to flood (with doughnut hole) was smooth and looked really good.

Sometime after I reviewed the MJLED #2 - I inadvertantly bent the LED over to almost 90deg when trying to push (hard) further into the holes (typical fiddling around -couldn't leave well alone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )- so had to bend the legs back to what I thought was straight.

Well it actually wasn't, but I easily got a very nice beam at "optimum" focus. It was only when I was playing around trying to get flood focus that I notice that the beam then was very asymmetrical - and figured out that the MJLED must have been off-centered.

A few trial and error (with very light touch) bending/repositioning of the MJLED got the de-focussed flood beam to behave more or less as well as #1.

If you have a MJLED installed try this defocussing/flood beam and see if your MJLED is truly correctly centered.

If not, and you want to be "rententive" like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif - it is very easy - if the MJLED is installed with some leg still protruding - to adjust with very slight repositioning (with a very light touch)......

A slight hint in which direction to "reposition".
When the beam is defocussed at flood with the worst off-center/asymmetry - withOUT disturbing the head - turn the light off (eg: by removing the batteries). Now look at the head and the MJLED in the reflector for the way it is off-centered - often one can see how even the yellow-green phosphor is reflected in the reflector - that will indicate which direction to bend/reposition the MJLED - hold the barrel in the fixed position - or mark it with a Sharpie to remember the position and unscrew the head - now gently (with LIGHT touch) reposition the MJLED, check, repeat as necessary....

Cmoore

Enlightened
After all the info on the MJLED, I had to give it try. Received 5 from the Sandwich Shop today, I did a quick install of one. For the quick install I used only a pair of needle nose pliers to both trim the leads and enlarge the hole (just used one of the pliers' jaws as a reamer) in the stock MiniMag reflector.

Very impressive mod for less than $5!

I'd say it's an Opelec Newbeam killer. It's brighter, less than ¼ the price and appears to have up to three times the run time.

If you have a stock MiniMag, you should get an MJLED. This mod can't compare to my Sandwich MinMag mods by any stretch; but, these Sandwich mods are 8 to 10 times the cost too and average about 1/10th the runtime of the MJLED mod.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Cmoore said: and enlarge the hole (just used one of the pliers' jaws as a reamer) in the stock MiniMag reflector.
Very impressive mod for less than $5!
If you have a stock MiniMag, you should get an MJLED. This mod can't compare to my Sandwich MinMag mods by any stretch; but, these Sandwich mods are 8 to 10 times the cost too and average about 1/10th the runtime of the MJLED mod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

You just used one of the jaws of your pliers as a reamer to open up the hole on the reflector, it was that easy?

WoW! to think I got all stressed about using the graduating larger drill bits and what drill speed to use.
Huh! next time I think I'll just use the reamer on my Swiss Army Knife......

Yes, it was the brightness, beam quality, and most of all the very long runtime that makes this MJLED such a good mod for me -
plus it was easy to do ...
and now sounds even easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EdB

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree that a reamer would probably be better than a hand drill, but like the Lambda page says, if you have access a drill press it's a snap.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
EdB said: I have to agree that a reamer would probably be better than a hand drill

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two electric drills - one cordless and lower 2 speed - 200 & 500rpm, and a regular corded Variable speed 0-1200rpm,
with good sharp high-speed steel drill bits.

Ended up using the lower speed - because I thought it would be a bit more controllable - even though things worked out fine - I still wasn't that confident of the controllability.

I do like the idea of just using a reamer - seems a lot more gentle and controllable - I'll try it on my next one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd update this with some different types of comparative beamshots.

Previously I had been taking side-by-side beamshots with the lights about 8" from a sheet of standard white typing/copy paper - this basically concentrates on the hotspots of the lights - which is mostly what we use with lower intensity LED flashlights like the ArcAAA class.

But not having convenient white walls - I've not been able to take beamshots that had the lights to show the beam side-spill/coverage.

I got an art-board/sheet of 28"x22" for a target that will allow me to show the beam side-spill/coverage -

Using the MJLEDs as examples here are some new style beamshots -

MJLED #1 and S1801 1watt Luxeon S1801 (1x CR123)
MJLED1_S1801new.jpg
MJLED1_S1801new2U.jpg

MJLED #2 and S1801 1watt Luxeon
MJLED2_S1801new.jpg
MJLED2_S1801new2U.jpg

NOTE: both MJLEDs are on less than fresh used alkalines.

MJLED #2 & #1 (both gen 2's)
MJLED12new.jpg

MJLED #1 and new standard MiniMag new bulb, fresh batteries -
MJLED1mMagnew.jpg
MJLED1mMagnew2U.jpg

New setup -
bShotSetup.jpg

Please let me know what you think?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison shots Vincent. That helps me to understand the capabilities of the MJLED. Good work.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this, AND STILL NO LED PRODUCT available direct from maglight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Unbelieveable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...a "graduated step bit" works very well in the hand as well, better than using several different drill bits.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KarlTiger said:How does MJLED #1 and #2 with alkalines compare to Inova T1 ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry don't have an Inova T1 to compare.

I compared the MJLEDs with all the flashlights I have that I thought were either comparable or would be of some interst.

Perhaps other CPF'ers with the Inova could anaswer this one?
Please remember both my MJLEDs are generation 2 - one from Lambda and the ohter from the Sandwich Shoppe - the #1 & #2 are merely my notation to distinguish them, and all my beamshot were the MJLEDs on Alkalines only.

Latest posts