MOD a MAG tri luxeon

kinseykaylor

Newly Enlightened
I want to trick out my 2d maglite with 3 or 4 luxeons. Does anyone know of any good links on making them? Any recomendtion on optics for maximum throw? How about the Fraen's triple collmation optic, will that fit into a mag?

Thanks

VWTim

Enlightened
I have a very similar 3x Lux3 2D maglite. I'm actually running 3x T**J's on 3C's and they're running at 2.4A total, runs them right at spec. This is one of my favorite utility lights.

kinseykaylor

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks. Now where do i get the heat sink/holder and optics. The link you posted didn't work.
p.s.

If your a former mag user what do you use now?

Thanks again.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I like mine. I went a slightly different route than most - wired the Luxeons in series, drove them with a fatman boost converter, and slipped an 8xAA:2xD adaptor inside. I can run it off 6-8 AAs, although it's far more efficient off 8 than it is 6. It might run on alkalines, but I metered it at 1.2A off 8 NiMH AAs - so I suspect runtime would be short.

If I ever build another one, I think I'm just going to drive them in parallel and use a 3C maglite. I'll probably individually resistor the emitters since I'm paranoid about parallel arrays.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i recently upgraded to the 6AA adapter in my 2D mag (PTS-D and AA adapter from Modamag). the light output is significantly increased (also running off a Fatman) soon i will drop in some new T binned luxes i got from Photonfanatic. :D

building a Quad Lux (with PQS-D and S binned lux emitters) probably a direct drive.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on eventually doing a tri or quad Lux I in a 2C body on a regulator and LiON cells and a 3D with three Lux IIIs but for now, I have a tri lux I (RW0Hs) in a silver 3D Mag wired in parallel that I run on alkaline cells. On fresh cells, it pulls 1.2A and throws a HUGE hotspot. The three IMS20s throw better than I planned, esp considering I'm only using Lux I stars.

Here's a pic of the light along with a beamshot at 38 feet with a single U-bin in a Mag reflector at 1,000ma for comparison. The Mag reflector certainly throws a hotter, tighter beam, but look how large that tri lux's hotspot is!

img_0061a1.jpg

IMG_0066%20Tri%20Lux%20Ia.jpg

IMG_0068%20UX1L%20937maa.jpg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew,
I am preparing for the BAM with all the parts I need. Saw the HA-III bored 2D Mag offered and it is ordered. Same thing with the 8AA to 2D battery adapter as it is ordered. The BAM will run 4 Luxeon K2 LEDs at 6 to 9.6V so I threw in an AA dummy cell in case one of the NiMH batteries blows.
The wait just means the BAM will be better. Luxeon K2 LEDs, HA-III bored 2D Mags being fed with the new Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH cells. From what I heard, the Eneloops can handle 4 amp loads so it might be the cell for the hungry BAM mod.
How are the Luxeon K2's working for you, Andrew?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice.. the 8AA host 2D will be an AWESOME host for BAM. The K2s i have so far are pretty high Vf.. i haven't put them into a host yet, but have tested a couple out and they are very bright.. i don't know if they are more output than a Ubin L3 but they should be 1/2 the price so that is promising. I actually *had* an AA cell die in my Mag100.. holy cow am i happy i bought enough for another pack so i didn't have to go without.. and also that my pack is bolted together and not welded!

Don't need extra special AAs.. just need to handle about 2A max.. but look for ones that actually output close to their rated capacity!

-awr

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
andrewwynn said:
Don't need extra special AAs.. just need to handle about 2A max.. but look for ones that actually output close to their rated capacity!

-awr

Since I have a few months, I want to see how the Eneloops handle large draws and hold their capacity. If they don't perform, I'll get the Titanium 2600's or Sanyo Industrial 2500's to feed the beast. Will the BAM be previewed at the SHOT show?

kinseykaylor

Newly Enlightened
Okay, thanks for the information. I've decdided to use (3) lux V's.

So, what would be the best optic(s)/reflector(s) for mamximum throw? I want it to be like a spot light. :rock:

Does anyone know any good links with beam shots comparing reflectors/optics?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You don't build a parallel-emitter light for throw - you build it for "directional flood" output.

The average magmod - be it Luxeon I driven at a modest level or a screaming Luxeon III - will out-throw a tri- or quad-luxeon simply because so more more light is directed into the beam because of the huge jump in reflector surface area - possibly an exponential increase.

Within the first 50-75 yards or so, the tri or quad will beat a single-emitter light senseless, and within those 50-75 yards, you can illuminate a decent area since there is so much spill... but past that a single emitter behind a 52mm reflector gets signifigantly more mileage than 3-4 20mm reflectors.

I'm not so sure about how it works with optics, but given their small size and similar compromises, I would expect similar results... althought your throw might be somewhat better.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want spot.. i would bet 4xlux3 in IMS 20s would out-throw luxV.. the V does not really focus well in such a small reflector.

The RT4 (BAM prototype) has 4x UX1L emitters driven to about 1100 mA each.. about 16W and 440 lumen.. it outputs about 10,000 lux.. i have measured about 7500 lux from a lion cub at 1000 mA with a UX1K emitter... food for thought.

-awr

kinseykaylor

Newly Enlightened
Wow, love the information.
Ok, so what if if I did two larger reflectors? I figure I can put two 27mm refectors side by side. I know I'll never have the throw that a large head would provide. But, it would be better than 20mm ims

Also, sounds like 3 watt luxs would work better for throw that a 5 watt because of the size of the emmiter. I purchased a three from lumileds and they were only "S" bins. Anyone know the cheapest place to by T or U bins?

Anymore advice on the best throwing reflector/optics that will fit into a maglite D?

Thanks again for all of the advice. You guys are awesome.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Many have found that the best-throwing opticalware for a Maglite D is ... the reflector that's supplied with it.

I hear that the 2 degree 52mm Carclo optic is very close to the stock reflector - perhaps better for throw since it doesn't have much spill.

If you're looking for the best throw from a parallel array, you might find some low-profile optics from Fraen, Carclo, or Polymer Optics that fit the bill.

I think there's a list at www.lumiledsfuture.com.

Last edited: