Most annoying part about your job.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well my job stopped being annoying on Monday, as i got fired due to cut backs....
How's that for a Christmas present.... ?
I got my severance pay and everything, but it sure was a kick in the nuts. No warning no nothing.
Oh well, back on the hunt for another job now :/

Wow! And I thought I was having a bad couple of weeks.... Technically still employed, but not getting any money. (At least not until next week).

Trust me, I know what it's like to get blind-sided like that. Back in March 2002; I went on a one week vacation to Vegas with my best friend. Had a great time! It was great!! And on the last day there, we both got bad food-poisoning. With my reputation, I was able to take a sick day on the day I was supposed to return.... Then a couple of hours later, I find out that our main client fired us. So I lost my job along with 200 other employees.... The day I was supposed to come back from my vacation.

Thing is, the client fired us after their V.P. did a surprise inspection. We passed! But since one of our company owners was suing the other one; the client fired us anyway. :thumbsdow

BTW, it was the company owner doing the suing who called up the client and said we were screwing around with their accounts.

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
I used to work in collections, and got LOTS of abuse from "customers," but that never bothered me. After getting cursed out 20 times a day, it loses its effect, and just gets old. Even the constant threats from people who wanted to sue me, or kill me, just got tiring. I had a couple of people who were unusually creative with their strings of insults, and I told them so, and offered them a discount on account of it. It was somewhat refreshing, at least, to have a job where I didn't have to be nice to people.

What bothered me about working in the field, was micromanaging managers, being reprimanded because the manager didn't know our policy/system as well as I did, being pushed to violate federal law just to get the money in, having to adhere to a dress code even though we were in a secured office and had no face to face contact with anyone (I used to say that I could do my job just as well if I came in wearing nothing but flip-flops and a towel, but they still insisted on the dress code), having to use an archaic (like 1983) computer system that couldn't be updated, having to call people who owed $4 when I had $50K accounts on my desk, outside managers being brought in who have no clue, having accounts taken off my desk just as money was coming in, dealing with insurance companies who didn't want to pay up, plus the commute, variable pay (commission), office politics, strict working hours. I never could decide which was worse, working with debtors every day, or working with collectors every day.

My first agency's unofficial policy was, "It's not about obeying the law, it's about not getting caught breaking it." And they followed that policy to the "T" They got sued every once in a while, but not nearly enough to even put a dent in their $7mil/month gross intake.

There were some damn funny moments, though. Wearing out the redial button. I remember once hearing a supervisor take a complaint call, he said "damn right he's harassing you, it's his job to harass you. I'm his supervisor and I'll make sure he harasses every day until you pay this bill." One woman got a standing ovation from everyone in the room when she was heard, yelling into the phone, "and I'm going to make your last days miserable!" One of the more successful collectors I knew would often tell debtors they had to "grab your ankles and take it." I saw two collectors double team a guy who insisted that he didn't owe any money, but they convinced him that he did, and that he better pay it right now, and when he got out his checkbook they realized they had the wrong guy (two Johns at the POE); one collector wanted to take the payment anyway, the other asked a supervisor, who told them they couldn't take the money; they ended up telling him to have his coworker call them back. I knew collectors who enjoyed making children cry on the phone. Another who would leave messages that started out, "Listen up you little slug!" I saw A LOT of collectors put pressure on debtors by illegally disclosing to third parties, like the mother-in-law ("do you know what kind of person your daughter married?") or the employer ("your employee is a thief, you better make sure he's not stealing from you too") or the parents ("you should really help your kid out with this before they end up in court" or "what's wrong with your family? Did you raise all your kids to be thieves?") (all real examples); you might be surprised with how well that works.

With commission, the money was sometimes good, though. And for some it's very good. Skip tracing was fun. Still, not a job I could recommend to most. I'm glad I'm in a different line of work now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... Skip-tracing was fun. Still, not a job I could recommend to most. I'm glad I'm in a different line of work now.

Give you one guess what I used to do at one of my former jobs....

Thing is, I agree with you. Not sure who was worse, the collectors or the debtors. Obviously you'd sometimes get debtors who borrowed money to pay for an expensive operation so that their child might live long enough to become a teenager. :(

But the vast majority got into debt because they couldn't afford to pay for their "toys." Sorry, I got zero sympathy for them.

Still.... The Collections company you worked for is why the Privacy Act spread across America. I worked for one of the better collections agencies. The owner was not some face-less @$$. He worked right along with us, on the collections floor! Every part of the F.D.C.P.A. was followed. Unless you had a spouse or Bankruptcy attorney, no one learned about your debts. (Especially not your boss, parents, or children). If the owner heard you spoke in detail with a debtor's underaged child, you'd be lucky to leave without broken body parts! Being rude with a debtor?.... Don't bother coming in to work; ever!

With my knowledge of the F.D.C.P.A., I was able to help stop harassing calls to both my best friend, and his soon-to-be wife. Nothing like picking up the phone, asking for a Supervisor, and then saying....

"Well, I was just curious why your Collectors keep violating section ____ of the F.D.C.P.A." (Even though it's over the phone, I can see the look on their face. :laughing:)

For a few months though, while I worked there, I was put in charge of the accounts nobody wanted. It was my job to confirm all the accounts labeled as Fraud, Deceased debtor, incarceration of debtor (prison or mental institution), and pending bankruptcy.... Most meaningful part of any job I ever had was stopping widows from being harassed by other, less than ethical, collections agencies; once I confirmed that a debtor was deceased and marked his account accordingly. Their widows used to call me on the phone, and Thank me for what I did for them.

That's the only part of the job I truly miss.