motorcycle riders

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I use to want a Fat Boy. It would have been a perfect match. I am over it, to much responsibility now.

A former coworker came by to see me today. I hadn't seen him since May when he bought his $30k custom built chopper. Five days later he had a head on with another bike. The other guy died and my buddy looks like a different person. He pulled his teeth out for me for grins and his face is a completely different shape from a broken jaw and eye socket. He has a new foot and a steel rod running from his knee to his foot to hold it on. He is 28 years old with a new baby. He has no memory of the collision and no fault was given to either rider. Both riders were hugging the center of the road on a "S" curve. Interestingly he wasn't wearing a helmet and landed on the pavement and lived. The other guy, no helmet, landed in the dirt and died.

You guys be careful out there.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
DD,

Sorry to hear about your buddy and the other rider. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif My best wishes to your friend and his young family. It always bothers me to hear about accidents like that, particularly since this one sounds like it was avoidable. Some riders tend to forget that while cornering, their bodies actually overhang the lane boundaries and they have to careful of oncoming traffic on the left and phone poles of the right. The other point is proper gear. A motorcyclist should wear the best protective gear possible for when the inevitable occurs. Its not if , its when because anybody who rides will eventually go down. I know I have harped about this in other threads, but I feel it bears reiteration. Good street gear consists of a Snell Foundation and ANSI (American National Standards Institute) approve full face helmet (remember Dale Earnhardt, basal skull fractures are not new to the world of motorcycling), good quality leathers (heavy cow hide, double lapped and double stitched seams) or some of the kevlar or ballistic nylon suits, heavy boots (the taller the better, leave the road race boots for the track, cars are the problem here, not g-forces) and armored gloves with retention straps across the wrists (keeps them from coming off in case you have to do a "butt slide"). The minimum I will wear for an urban ride is 1) Arai Quantum S helmet 2) my Technics jacket 3) jeans (if its hot) or the Technics pants (if its not) 4) my Aerostitch Combat Touring boots and 5) either summer or winter weight Olympia kevlar reinforced gloves. If its raining or if I'm going on a trip, I'll wear my Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece ballistic nylon suit (its got so many pockets, its like wearing a tank bag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). Now, most importantly, if I'm having a software problem between the ears or I'm feeling sub par, I won't ride......it isolates a person from their environment and kills the reaction time. I'd rather drive the truck than go splat.

Well, while I'm on a roll I might as well touch upon another subject, rider education. I'm a firm believer that if a person wants to ride, start young, start on a small bike and learn in the dirt. Young people heal faster (and bounce higher), smaller bikes are easier to control and dirt has the advantages of isolation from cars, softer to land on, and slippery enough to teach not only control, but that all important lesson of proper gear (you know what I'm talking about onelight, gravel rash sucks almost as bad as a face plant into a yucca bush /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif). I really wish more beginner riders courses took place in fields than parking lots. Not that the courses are bad, I just don't think they take it far enough. It takes time to develop the reflexes necessary to survive in this world of distracted drivers.

Now before I go off on the pros and cons of riding posititions, I'll wrap this diatribe up. It pains me to see a rider in tennies, shorts and t-shirt on any bike or a wannabe outlaw in a $5 helmet. I feel sorry for them (because they have a hard lesson coming), I feel sorry for their families (if they learn that lesson too late) and I feel sorry for myself and riders like me who could lose access to one of our greatest joys because the death toll and injury rates became too high. End of rant.

Oopps almost forgot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Klaus,

Sweet ride guy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif 900 Elephant, almost bought one myself (but they no longer import them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Dan

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Well said PercaDan. Many skills that keep you from going down on the street can best be learned in the dirt,and they must be learned well enough to take no thought you just do it. This is another area that draws me to the big adventure bikes for street riding,They all have great brakes wide bars and pegs you can stand on (have you tried to stand up in a hurry on a cruiser with forward mount pegs ) longer suspension travel deals with suprises better imho they make safer street bikes.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
And we're back to my TDM. Wide bars, only a slight rear set to the pegs, 7 inches of fork travel (Seattle streets are full of dips and pot holes) and the riding positioned is slightly leaned into the wind. Every time I ride a cruiser, I find I can't weight shift or counter-steer effectively, because of the far forward foot pegs. That riding position also puts all my weight on my tail bone (ouch!!). Don't even get me started on bikes with "Ape Hangers". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan

makar

Enlightened
@onelight: the only negative thing i see on the r1150gs is the weight. if it would be a little lighter it would also be really nice away from the streets. ktms lc8 has a little more power and is less heavier. i think bmw should improve that. besides that i like the bmw more than the ktm because the engines has power in very deep rpms. (do you understand me?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

@klaus: bella signorina! warst du schon mal auf der löwensteiner platte?

onelight

Enlightened
Yes makar I agree the gs is to heavy for serious dirt riding,many of the things that add weight I like on the street the ABS, heavy duty charging system, shaft drive large fuel tank the 1150GS is a touring bike with dirt trim skid plate (with dents) longer travel suspension is great in the dirt or rough pavement & wide bars. "very deep rpms" if I understand you correctly we call that "low end" meaning good power at low rpm the adventure model has a lower 1st & 6th gear the lower 1st would help a great deal in the dirt and be better on the street but I like the higher 6th.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan - without good relation to your local Ducati guy (who needs to be quite good too) such bike can be quite a nightmare - I love it but the importer is a good friend of mine and without him I would have probably bought something else - but it really is a great bike and I guess I won´t ever get rid of it - its already like 10+? years old or so now already. BTW - The Cagiva guys now started to put a new Suzuki V 1000 engine in a pretty similar dual purpose bike since they are no longer involved with Ducati in any way.

Makar - you are certainly right that the two cylinder enduro/street bikes are too heavy for real cross and such - I also agree with Dan and onelight that they are superior street bikes - but talking about your one cylinder BMW its too heavy too - even my one cylinder TT600R Yamaha is actually too heavy at ~ 150 KG and yours is probably 30KG more than that. If you want to have some real mud fun look for a WR Yamaha or something like the sports models from KTM or a Husky or such - but then you´ll lose most of the superior street abilities - IMO these "Enduro" bikes are a good compromise - enough "cross" features to be better/good on the road but not too much to be of disadvantage there. Certainly for a (better left to closed-circuit) racing type of biking a 996 or YZR or whatever is better and for cross a much lighter bike is preferred but I personally like the compromise between the two - I can bike quite a long distance without too much trouble, can be fast enough as most any law allows, can drive pretty much any road whereever I end up being - so at least for me this is it. YMMV though.

Klaus

makar

Enlightened
@onelight: you understood me correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't understand why they also lowered the 6th gear. The 1st gear low and the 6th as an overdrive would be way better. BMW should also make this constellation orderable in the normal 1150 GS.
If you are searching for real good mototcycling parts for your r1150gs take a look at here: touratech
I tried several items from them and I'm totally satisfied. The prices are a little higher but quality is fine and the items are well engineered.
ARC would fit perfect in their product lines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
marc

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Moat5606 said:
Check this out, guys -

http://www.bmwclubscottishsection.org.uk/product_news.htm

I think this next-generation GS is beeeaaaauuutiful!!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ] WOW thanks for the link, I would love to lose some weight add some hp and get that hot cat. out from under my trany. This is the first I have heard of a major rework coming on the GS. Thanks again Moat5606 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

onelight

Enlightened
makar I have seen the touratech website but I have not ordered anything. Have you seen the rechargeable (by 12v) camp lights,one has leds. Thanks they do have a lot of neat stuff.

makar

Enlightened
i have the chala 12hd (not with leds). it's a perfect camping light. you can also charge 4aas with it.

they also have a tentlight with 8 leds but i think this is too expensive and you can't charge any aas. so if you need a campinglight i'd go with the chala. i prefer the hd because of its warmer light.

marc

makar

Enlightened
@klaus: sorry i dind't see your post: you are absolutely right the f650 is way too heavy (190kg i think!) for serious mud. if you want a bike for this you must get a husquarna, ktm or a husaberg.
i don't need a bike for serious mud. i like enduros because of the upright seat position.
some say the bmw gs are the best street bikes bmw ever made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onelight

Enlightened
makar I agree,I think the GS is bmw's best street bike.Or at least the most fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

HunterSon

Enlightened
I've been bikes since I was nine, my street bikes were:
1980 Honda CM400T
1986 Honda V45 Magna
1989 Suzuki GS550e
1995 Kawasaki KLX650 (I miss it)
1996 Suzuki LS650 Savage (Bought it for the wife)
1998 Kawasaki ZX7R (Gotta love dual ram air)
1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (Lots of torque)
NOW None, now I'm sad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif...Would really like a KTM Duke II though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

M

MeridianTactical

I have been riding since a kid on and off... Despite the dangers I love it and find it hard to stop riding...

Here are my two bikes...

First a 2003 HD Softail (and yes, its LOUD!)

Second is a 1996 ZX6-R

The ZX6-R is for sale...

bike.jpg

mybike.jpg

onelight

Enlightened
That is a good lookin Harley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifThe 100yr bikes have some great paint. My street legal list to the best of my memory Yamha 80, Hodaka ace 100, Honda CL350,CL450,another Hodaka ace 100 (needed the 450 money to get married]Honda MR250 Honda XL350 Honda XL250 Another Honda XL350 Honda XL500 Honda 500 Ascott Suzuki Dr650 Harley 1200 sportster sport... and now a Kawasaki KLR650 and the BMW1150GS lots of dual sports

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Mine's a Lifan LF125 A "Exclusive"
This is a lot of bike for your money. As well as looking very nice indeed with lots of chromey bits, it is avery comfortable and useable motorbike! It is supremely reliable.
I live in the English Midlands and this year I went to Scotland camping. The bike didn't miss a beat the whole time!

I've been riding various motorbikes for about 23 years now... there is just no other way better for getting from A to B in our gridlocked and overcrowded country!

matt

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
I've been riding for 25 years now (grew up in a motocross family) right now I'm riding a custom CBR600-F1. I am looking at getting something new, I really want a Tuono, but I'll probably go with the new Z1000