MRE Supply

Frangible

Enlightened
Iodine is cheap :) I use sodium chlorite personally, as that kills cryptosporidia (a real threat here in Montana).

I think clean water is the #1 resource to have in a SHTF type scenario. Or the means to get additional water. There's a river here about 3 miles from where I live, but many people do not have that luxury who live in larger cities.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frangible,

The ingredient you mention in most OTC cold remedies is pseudoephedrine, not ephedrine.

I'm not intrepreting at all, the second portion of the quote,

"Are you prohibiting the sale of ephedra?

That is, essentially, what the rule will do. The rule concludes that dietary supplements containing ephedrine alkaloids present an unreasonable risk to the public health and are adulterated under Section 402(f)(1)(A) of the FD&C Act."

Should clear that up. Ephedrine, the drug itself, has not been legal for sale in the United States. It was only it's inclusion in the food/dietary supplement area that it slipped by. The FDA recognized what was going on, and rightfully limited it's use to the traditional uses in Chinese medicine that Ma Juang (spelling is various, and ephedra is the actual latin name for the plant) or the ephedra plant and its distillates was used. That's how the VasoPro is getting by, but don't expect it for long, the FDA and DEA are cracking down on these types of uses as they don't qualify for the exception, because they don't fit that "traditional Chinese medicine" loophole.

Pseudoephedrine, is widely used in cold medicines and is one of the base chemicals in the production of Methamphetamine, (ephedrine can also be used, but because the drug itself is not available easily it isn't.) Controlling OTC purchases has recently become a priority of the FDA and DEA, as well as some states, who now require prescriptions for what is OTC in some places.

Larry is, of course correct. He is a perfectionist, and though distillation removes enough of the bacteria for me to feel safe, I guess the argument could be made to boil it before use if it has been stored any significant length of time. The pyogenic things won't be gone though.

Boiling is just good practice for any water of unknown quality, but I'd bet my tap water, and yours, has more stuff than distilled water stored for a year!

Bill

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bill, boiling is inadaquite for some critters! (Autoclaving at 260F under pressure is required,) Orally, pyrogens represent no problem! It's complex, and none of us wants to have to ever deal with it! With any luck, our toliet tank's and waterheater's will last the week or so that it it will require support to arrive. Hopefully ( :D ) we are prepared for the armed lowlifes who aren't!

Lary

Frangible

Enlightened
Bill:

The rule concludes that dietary supplements containing ephedrine

Ephedrine remains approved for OTC bronchodialator use

It just cannot be marketed as a dietary supplement.

(except in doses of 10mg or less)

I am well aware of the differences between PSE and ephedrine. And I assure you, it is the laevo isomer of ephedrine being sold in Vasopro (and other products).

PSE is primarily an alpha agonist, but a beta-2 agonist is needed for bronchodialation which is why PSE is not used in such products.

At any rate, I suppose the current regulations are a bit confusing. I hope this helps.

Pseudoephedrine, is widely used in cold medicines and is one of the base chemicals in the production of Methamphetamine, (ephedrine can also be used, but because the drug itself is not available easily it isn't.) Controlling OTC purchases has recently become a priority of the FDA and DEA, as well as some states, who now require prescriptions for what is OTC in some places.

Indeed. Pseudoephedrine is now a Schedule IV drug in many states and is slated to become so at a national level soon as per a bill by everyone's favorite senator, Diane Finestein. Unfortunately, the replacement decongestant, Sudafed PE, which uses a related phenethylamine (phenylephrine) has a higher incidence of rebound congestion.

As long as they keep selling Claritin D for allergy season, I'll be happy.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done, Frangible!

As you noted, some states don't allow the use of ephedrine at all, and Washington where I live, is one of them. It's use as a bronchodilator is borderline at best, with many more effective meds available.

I'll concede you are correct on the point it is availble OTC in some places, I was not aware that the FDA had not closed down the loopholes like the above.

As for Claritin D, just buy it from Canada or Mexico, its cheaper!

Larry, once again, the perfectionist in you sneaks out!! You are of course correct, but I wonder if even Chlorine or Bromine will kill that stuff, have to check the books!

Bill

Saaby

Flashaholic
As for Claritin D, just buy it from Canada or Mexico, its cheaper!

Now that it's OTC you can get it dirt cheap! They came out with knockoff Claritin first, but I'm pretty sure you can get Claritin D knock off now. I don't use "D" just regular Loratadine. It's something like $12 for 300 at Costco.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this link out for info on MRE's. I have never bought from this Company but they look like they know thier MRE's.

www.longlifefood.com

It appears that they are currently not offering their regular long-life full meal MRE's due to demand, but you can buy components.

I have found that eating two of the main courses is filling. Easier to pack also, but it will get real old real fast after a day or two.

Last edited:

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
tvodrd said:
Bill, boiling is inadaquite for some critters! (Autoclaving at 260F under pressure is required,) Orally, pyrogens represent no problem! It's complex, and none of us wants to have to ever deal with it! With any luck, our toliet tank's and waterheater's will last the week or so that it it will require support to arrive. Hopefully ( :D ) we are prepared for the armed lowlifes who aren't!

Lary

Luckily known water borne thermophilic organisms are not harmful to humans.

Most bad critters that are commonly found in water can't survive beyond 140 degrees for 30 minutes. Neither can they tolerate 1ppm of bleach for 30 min.

Something to remember... Don't treat water with bleach and think it will stay good forever, it won't. The chlorine in the bleach is quite volatile and will slowly dissolve into the air. When the level of the bleach drops below the tolerance level for the bugs, they will be back. Treat the water as you use it.

FYI.. WFI comes in different flavors. WFI used in a process is different from WFI as a packaged product. What you see hanging in an IV bag is Sterile packaged WFI. The requirement for packaged WFI is that it be completely sterile and very low in residual endotoxin (endotoxin is the chemicals in a bug that actually make you sick). WFI used in a plant as part of a process isn't sterile. It is very close though.

An interesting note on expiration dates.. Sterile packaged WFI doesn't go bad. The packaging is the weak link. Over time the risk of the packaging degrading to the point where integrity can be compromised goes up. The expiration date has more to do with the packaging than the product inside. That isn't the case with all packaged products but for this one it is.

Chris

Zigzago

Enlightened
I recently threw out about a dozen MREs that I had for ten years (time sure flies). Out of curiosity I ate one of the entres and couldn't detect anything wrong with it, but I really didn't feel like eating that much ten year old food. The tabasco sauce in the little bottles had turned brown (I didn't sample any of that).

I agree with those who said eating MRE's gets old fast, but being able to throw it in the closet and forget about it for years is a plus. Somewhere I read that canned food loses its nutritional value after a year, so you have to rotate it.

I bought my MRE's from Cheaper Than Dirt www.cheaperthandirt.com. As their name suggests, their prices are pretty low.

Last edited:

Frangible

Enlightened
My MREs got here today. Very cool and utilitarian. But bulky :) Still, I guess 24,000 calories in a smallish box isn't bad.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Got my MRE's yesterday, from Sportman's Guide. They had run out, and had to wait a little. Appears they were made last month. Can't get much fresher than that. :)

Ordered some MRE heaters from CheaperThanDirt.com last night. CheaperThanDirt.com also had a "Squad Meal" available (chicken teriyaki only). Probably more practicle for families than MRE's.

oldgrandpajack

Seth

Newly Enlightened
V8TOYTRUCK said:
Anyone know of a good source for fresh MREs? They might be in short supply now but after seeing everyone after Katrina I need to get serious about preparing for emergency situations.

The best prices I've found were about $60 locally, I'll pay taxes but save on shipping.

You may have a look at MRE Info website , especially the forums over there.

This site has really good info´s about how to decrypt the Mfg-date and such.

Seth

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
This might help with shelf life questions:

120 degrees... 1-Month
110 degrees... 5-Months
100 degrees... 22-Months
90 degrees... 55-Months
80 degrees... 76-Months
70 degrees... 100-Months
60 degrees... 130+Months

From what I understand the meals will lose its taste after expiration, but are still suitable for consumption(especially in a disaster situation).

Oh and someone asked about the MRE heaters earlier. They are activated by H2O and should be secured in a metal storage container to avoid accidental activation(basement flooding), which could be a serious fire hazzard. Most carriers won't ship these items either so you will probably have to pick them up at a local gunshow or military surplus shop.

Regards,
Flavio