My dream Ra light - the Slimline Ti 14500 Clicky/Twisty! Poll added!

Would you like to see any of these options available on a Ra?

• Total voters

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
My perfect Ra would be a 1xAA Slimline titanium bodied tailstandable Clicky/Twisty which operated exactly as a Twisty when turned, and exactly as a Clicky when clicked. I'm not asking much and sure I'll think of more later! :D

I want a twisty that has tactile feedback in its positions, and a clicky in back -- basically a HDS with a selector ring interface.

The only other thing I could want from them is a mass-producible McGizmo-PD-type light; I can't even afford a dinged-up beater aluminum non-smart PD with a Luxeon 1. I think this light would have to be available in fun colors, though, not just serious-business-black.

What about a stainless special-edition clicky with the form factor of the Arc4? I don't know who has rights to that design, but they were nice looking lights, and the only one I've ever found in my price range was $70 and with burned-out electronics. Since this is my fantasy, it can have a Cree XM-L emitter. :cool:

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
I want a twisty that has tactile feedback in its positions, and a clicky in back -- basically a HDS with a selector ring interface.

The only other thing I could want from them is a mass-producible McGizmo-PD-type light; I can't even afford a dinged-up beater aluminum non-smart PD with a Luxeon 1.
I would buy one of the first.

I'd buy at least a half dozen of the second. I'm sure others would too. Henry? Hint, nudge? :naughty:

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'd be surprised if Henry had much interest in inheriting the PD design from McGizmo (Arc was supposed to carry the torch, so to speak, but that hasn't really happened on a broad/reliable scale)... mostly due to the significant investment HDS has in the UI which realistically can only be clickie based.

I can't afford a dinged up aluminum one either - although I'd like to have one - and they aren't getting any cheaper. This discussion ought to move somewhere else but I remain surprised no one, not even our custom makers, has taken on a small run of aluminum PDs - I can't imagine Don wouldn't be willing to license the design to someone.

anyway - a smaller HDS Clickie would put a big :twothumbs on my face...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've owned an Arc4, two HDS EDC's, and two Novatacs (still own one of them) and will probably eventually pickup a Ra clickie of some variety (not essential right now as the K2 TFFC mod in my 120P is plenty of punch). I love the UI, the quality, the reliability and the functionality of that lineage of lights.

The only thing I've ever not liked is the size which pushes the limit for an EDC light. In fact that is one reason I haven't already gotten a Ra as they are moving in the wrong direction when it comes to size.

I know Henry designs them to be near bulletproof, and for certain applications this makes a lot of sense. I've never had a problem with the robustness of those lights (well the Arc4 perhaps but Henry fixed the switch issue with the HDS lights). But I'd trade a bit of the bulletproof quality that is aimed more at a work/duty environment to have a more pocketable EDC. To that end, either a slimmer 123 based light or a AA/14500 light would be phenomenal. In fact the perfect setup would be a AA/14500/CR2 (optional tube) light - the Jil, Peak Pacific and Liteflux LF4/5 all were interchangeable between CR2 and AA tubes...

But I'd be perfectly happy with a slimmer CR123 Ra.

Some would say there are other lights that fit that mold, but few of them have the build quality and none have the UI of the HDS lights...
All you've said here is why I first suggested the idea of a 14500 Clicky, and the reason I don't like the idea of simply having a battery tube is that I'd also like the head to be slimmer as well.

However, I too would be happy with a slimmer CR123 version, or better yet, a both slimmer and shorter CR2 Clicky. :devil:
What would we have to give up in order to have a Ra Clicky that was light enough to comfortably hold in your mouth?

--flatline
The weight of the Ti Clicky when held in my mouth is the only thing that made me at times want an aluminum one again. Any Clicky that would be slimmer, and or shorter would be easier for holding in the mouth.

The only other thing I could want from them is a mass-producible McGizmo-PD-type light; I can't even afford a dinged-up beater aluminum non-smart PD with a Luxeon 1. I think this light would have to be available in fun colors, though, not just serious-business-black.

What about a stainless special-edition clicky with the form factor of the Arc4? I don't know who has rights to that design, but they were nice looking lights, and the only one I've ever found in my price range was $70 and with burned-out electronics. Since this is my fantasy, it can have a Cree XM-L emitter. :cool:
Henry talked a lot about the Arc4 the other day, and he's the one who was designing it, but was not allowed to finish the way he wanted it because Peter rushed him into finishing it for production. Not only that, but the next UI he releases will be the one he was hoping to put in the Arc4.

I like your idea of having clicks added to the Twisty UI.
...a smaller HDS Clicky would put a big :twothumbs on my face...
I think it would be one of the hottest new lights that would have CPF'ers tripping over each other to acquire one. :hitit:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Kaichu...do you get the impression from Henry that a Clicky in the 14500 form factor is a reality? Or is it just a CPF wish list item?

The Ra Clicky is almost indestructible, but it is on the larger side for a 1x123 form factor light. A 14500 version, as you suggested, would seem to be a logical progression that would attract more customers. I know I'd certainly grab one if Henry offered it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Kaichu...do you get the impression from Henry that a Clicky in the 14500 form factor is a reality? Or is it just a CPF wish list item?

The Ra Clicky is almost indestructible, but it is on the larger side for a 1x123 form factor light. A 14500 version, as you suggested, would seem to be a logical progression that would attract more customers. I know I'd certainly grab one if Henry offered it.
I couldn't really guess - I asked, but don't like to pressure people too much. All I can say is that he never took the possibility off the table, and I'm hoping that he eventually does offer one that is slimmer all the way from tailcap to head, and not just an additional battery tube.

I'd really love to have a Clicky Junior with a CR2 inside, which could be a little slimmer and shorter both.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I couldn't really guess - I asked, but don't like to pressure people too much. All I can say is that he never took the possibility off the table, and I'm hoping that he eventually does offer one that is slimmer all the way from tailcap to head, and not just an additional battery tube.

I'd really love to have a Clicky Junior with a CR2 inside, which could be a little slimmer and shorter both.

I agree entirely - probably wasn't clear in my original post but the battery tube I was envisioning had a slimmer head as well ;) I was only saying that if you make a 14500 slim light there are plenty of examples where the same head can be mated to a CR2 body as well so with one head you get multiple battery and size configurations solely for the machining expense of a cut down tube. Liteflux never sold them as optional parts but the LF5 and the LF4 used the same head, just had different batter packs, the Jil CR2 lights all had the CAB 14500 pack as an option, the Peak Pacific head fits a AA/14500 compartment as well as the CR2 bodies. Although that configuration/flexibility hasn't caught on like I thought it would. Personally I really like it as you get the tiny size of a CR2 form factor with the option of 14500 for longer runtimes, kind of like the CR123 and 17670 option currently available, just a lot smaller!

I'd love to see it happen and I'd certainly be in for one! :rock:

Gatsby

Enlightened
Henry talked a lot about the Arc4 the other day, and he's the one who was designing it, but was not allowed to finish the way he wanted it because Peter rushed him into finishing it for production. Not only that, but the next UI he releases will be the one he was hoping to put in the Arc4.

Very interesting! I always loved the Arc4 form factor (although not as condusive to the cigar grip) and recall at the time when problems were beginning to emerge there being a bit of a chilling of the relationship between Arc and HDS...

It's unfortunate really, as despite his various odyssey's Peter did have a real vision and eye for design (I like the slight differences the Arc6 had from the McLux lights) but would have benefitted from a partner (I am under the impression that Henry and McGizmo both were consultants on the Arc4 and Arc6 projects) with a more, shall we say, grounded engineering perspective which Henry certainly has. McGizmo has stated that Peter at various times during the Arc6 vision quest really pushed the envelope and went to the outer reaches of what was and is possible in an EDC light, ultimately to come somewhat back to earth although the electronics probably ended up being overkill for the stated purpose...

The HDS EDC was certainly more reliable - and the UI that made it into the Novatac (I don't think the original HDS lights had this, can't remember from mine) which added the easier brightness adjustment, was a step up. As were a ton of small changes Henry has made both known and unknown along the way. But no question while more practical and robust they were not nearly as attractive as the Arc4 was... not that looks count for that much but still...

I'll be very interested to see the next UI iteration. I am slavishly loyal to it as I still think it is, in all forms, the best UI on the market. Admittedly I have a lot of years invested in it so it is quite second nature to me and intuitive but I can understand that for some it may not be... :whistle:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would jump all over a slimmer CR123 version. I would prefer RCR123, but a CR2 or 14500 version would also be an almost definite buy - especially if they were available as battery tube options. Ultimately I want the Ra UI in an EX10 size light with wire (or other slim/unobtrusive) bezel down clip. A Quark 123 or LF3XT size would even be OK. The EX10 and LF3XT have decent UI, but the Ra/HDS simple momentary function is the ultimate.

I have gone so far as to actually design up a CAD drawing of a slimmer Ra/HDS body with plans to have it machined in order to get a slimmer, more pocketable Ra. I am still working on a way to eliminate the spring switch path which is the real barrier to thinning it down, but I think a Peak momentary switch pushing the battery forward against a spring and signal path device is the way to go, I just need to work out an easily doable mechanism at the head to accomplish this.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
To further clarify, this would be the true EDC version for me. I still have one of my three HDS and two NT120P, this would be a "light duty and dress pants EDC." The other full size ones would be for camping, around the house & garage, and whenever I need the fuller handful and toughness they provide. I think a slimmer version would complement the original very well. A small EDC is on me because it is small.
I would jump all over a slimmer CR123 version. I would prefer RCR123, but a CR2 or 14500 version would also be an almost definite buy - especially if they were available as battery tube options.

Also, a smaller diameter reflector would work best with a small die emitter (XP-E R2-4C preferred!) to maintain some throw. Not all EDC uses are up close. I want to be able to scan across the yard when I get home without fishing out a larger light.

Last edited:

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
If Henry offered a slim clicky running off of a 14500 it would be a definite buy for me!

tsl

Enlightened
To further clarify, this would be the true EDC version for me. I still have one of my three HDS and two NT120P, this would be a "light duty and dress pants EDC." The other full size ones would be for camping, around the house & garage, and whenever I need the fuller handful and toughness they provide. I think a slimmer version would complement the original very well. A small EDC is on me because it is small.

Also, a smaller diameter reflector would work best with a small die emitter (XP-E R2-4C preferred!) to maintain some throw. Not all EDC uses are up close. I want to be able to scan across the yard when I get home without fishing out a larger light.

I couldn't say it any better. I completely agree 150%. :thumbsup:

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I would only buy another Ra light if it still has the low red. For me that's one of the key features, and one of the many reasons why I love mine.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only buy another Ra light if it still has the low red. For me that's one of the key features, and one of the many reasons why I love mine.

With all due respect don't mind me voicing my own opinions. There are many more features in a HDS/Ra light than the red low. If your decision to or not to purchase a HDS light was made based on the availability of a low red mode, then I think you are truly missing the point on what makes a HDS so good.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
With all due respect don't mind me voicing my own opinions. There are many more features in a HDS/Ra light than the red low. If your decision to or not to purchase a HDS light was made based on the availability of a low red mode, then I think you are truly missing the point on what makes a HDS so good.

No problem, and I do understand your opinion too. Note that I said "one of the many reasons". The other reasons are the amazing build quality, reliability, interface, driver, form factor, and aesthetic appearance. Even "little" details like the contact discs over the springs. However great these features are, I do have other lights that come close in many ways, however, none of them have that red beam! Now if I didn't already own some of those lights, and now knowing how great the Ra lights are, I might be in the market for more Ra lights.

jcw122

Enlightened
A slim version that can take 2x14500s would be SICK!!!

-Less bulk
-PLENTY of power

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
A slim version that can take 2x14500s would be SICK!!!

-Less bulk
-PLENTY of power

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know there are lots of great things about Ra's, but I have completely passed over any thought of buying one until they are available in an AA form factor that can accept/use multiple chemistries (alkaline, lithium primary, nimh, and R14500). This is an ABSOLUTE for me and I simply will not buy ANY light, no matter how good, unless I can be assured of being able to use it with the most common battery form factor in existence.

Latest posts