Need a bright light 4500-5500k temperature for photo applications

maxpower419

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys
I'm looking for as bright a light I can get in 4500-5500k color temparture. Preferably something meant for throwing or something that has a TIR style optic in it. I think the huge Kicker is that the bezel diameter has to be under 2 inches... Any suggestions are hugely appreciated, and if one leads to something that would really work out I might have a little "freebie-flashlight-finder's" reward to throw your way ;)

thanks all,
-Ryan

archimedes

Flashaholic
Are you wanting maximum lumens, or maximum lux ?

The Dereelight Night Master has > 100 kcd, for < $100 ....

Although it just misses your preferred CCT & size criteria, the Firefoxes FF4 60W/40W/24W HID has 6000+ lumens at 4300K, but an ~80mm bezel :)

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldnt a Floody beam be better for photo applications? If so, take a look at the Malkoff Wildcat MTG2.

Seen photos / video taken with light that has a real hot spot - bad news.

For me - a mule (no reflector, not TIR (lens), nothing, just a mounted LED) is best for photography / video. Also - CRI can be important too..(color rendering index).

MT-G2 in the new Wildcat great 5000K, but Nichia 219B, not as bright, but great neutral CRI.

maxpower419

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies guys, I actually do need something really focused and bright, and preferably small, as I am looking for a way to put little pings/flashes of light in jewels/diamonds and don't want to have to drag the shutter longer than a 1/60th of a second (any longer and I'll get color-cast from my strobes modeling lights) or so at is0 60 and f/8... As far as color temp goes anything 5000k or cooler is optimal but isnt a deal-breaker (can be adjusted in post) and I really think it would be all about the lumens, lux as I understand is more important for distance, I'm working a tabletop set (small and tight spaces) See the closest thing there is in the professional commercial photo world are Broncolor Picolites which we have and have used, but their too big to get as close to the jewelry as we'd like to be able to... and they are crazy expensive. and being a strobe means I cant really see the full effect until after a shot is made. I figure with the flashlight I can move it around much more easily (no stands required) to find the perfect couple of spots to get light pings and be able to see it through the view finder/monitor The MT-G2 is seeming like it might have to do...

Enlightened
People in the other forum really like the Luxeon T emitter in the Zebralight SC62d. 5000K and 85 CRI. Not the brightest in the world and requires lithium ion cells+charger. It's very neutral. I'm not sure what other lights might use this emitter.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
Well...you could order a single or multi mode MT-G2 dropin from one of the members here along with a LTP host, etc. Your least expensive package for a MTG2. Add a $5 extender and then you will have 2 x 18650 run time, also. And that free gift you have??? Lol.

I have this drop in running in a Solorforce or Surefire 9p and its got a great floody beam, but yet, a very good wide hotspot. Puts out around 500 lumens on medium and 1600 on high. Pretty nice neutral color temperature to the beam.

If you want more of a defined neutral hotspot, you could also take a look at a Nichia 4500 92cri drop in from Custom Lites. He also sells Solarforce hosts. It have this drop in from him and its a very nice clean beam. Puts out around 280L on high.

Last edited:

Latest posts