Need a decent yet inexpensive SLA battery charger

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok here's the deal. I recently picked up a Sunforce 35w HID "25 million cp!!" spotlight off of eBay for $40 shipped. So far i'm extremely pleased with it except that it didn't come with a charger (I knew this going in before i bought it). As this is my first SLA battery i've owned in years that isn't in a car I wanted to get opinions on a decent in-home charger for it. Something that isn't massive like a car charger. But something that will charge the battery fairly efficiently without a risk of overcharging.

I'd like to keep the budget fairly small but don't want to buy an el cheapo piece of crap so i'm fairly flexible on price.

I don't know much about this light but what little reading I've done I don't think you need a charger but just a 12v source. I think the charger is built into the light that charges the internal 4.2 amp-hr battery.

However it sounds like you have an external SLA battery that you want to power this light with as the 12v source and thus it will need to be charged.

If that is the case, I'd recommend some type of smart charger that adheres to at least the 3 step charging process (bulk-absorption-float) and has the ability to switch between the different types of lead acid batteries. I've used a few. How big in amp-hours is your SLA battery? That helps in determining which one.

Last edited:
Well in reply to your earlier comments the intent is to charge the battery out of the light rather than use the internal mechanism. and i've read some comments that the charger that comes with it is slow and sucks. I don't like either, except in which case "slow" is the recommended charging method for the type. such as .5c for Li-Ion

Last edited:
At first I was looking at the bigger Sunforce so I was totally mixed up. But if you can remove the battery and hook it directly to a charger than I'd get a battery tender type of charger since this battery is only 4.2 amp hours. And something around 1 to 1.5 amp charge rate would probably be about right.

The Battery Tender Jr. is probably too small for you but it would work. You might look into the Battery Tender Plus. Also look at the BatteryMinder's. I have the BatteryMinder Plus model 12117 but it looks like they have replace that one with something else. These are all smart chargers. Search on Amazon to get some ideas. Just make sure to get a smart charger and then your charger can be used for all 12v batteries.

I've got a Battery Tender Jr. that charges at 750mA off of AC, but does so using the correct algorithm. It was $23 shipped. You can look for the bigger (slightly more--$35ish) Battery Tender, that charges at 1.5A, IIRC and which works just as well.

They're pretty famous chargers made by Deltran, I think.

Chris

Thanks. I'll look into those units.

They're slow, but if you have time and a smaller battery, they're pretty much a standard in the 'trickle' charging industry.

I use mine to top off my solar 12Ah and 22Ah AGMs every three months, instead of dragging the solar panels down, setting them up and going that route.

If you live near a Batteries Plus, or Battery & Bulbs, you can find them there, but they're a good $10 more than Ebay. Also, you might try an Auto Parts store, or Walmart if you're interested.

Chris

I have a nice small Schumacher Battery Charger.

They run about $20. Can get them online or from Amazon.... can even find them at local stores like Meijers/Walmarts/etc.

Model SEM-1562A Battery Companion 1.5A Charger

100% Fully automatic. Short circuit protected, Float charging, 6v/12v selector, etc.

GREAT little charger.

No fan or anything, so no moving parts to wear out.

Works GREAT on SLA/AGM Batteries as well as regular wet Lead acid Batteries too.

Watch out for ALOT of the little float charger/Battery Minder types....many are NOT for use on SLA/AGM batteries.

Like the cheap Harbor Freight 12v float chargers...NOT for SLA/AGM Batteries.