Need headlamp for unusual application

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I deliver flyers door to door via rollerblades in support of various business endeavors. I wish to start doing this more at night - other opportunities are materializing during the daytime, but I wish to keep my foot in the door with this income stream as well, at least until the economy improves...

The standard CPF "questionnaire" doesn't really cut it here so I'll attempt to define the optimum paramaters...

1. Price - under $150. Give or take a few - maybe even $250 if the perfect product exists...

2. Must be able to use some form of rechargeable cell(s).

3. Floody as possible, preferably a "wall of light". Definitely want to minimize the hotspot - the main purpose here is close range (less than 30 feet), and WIDE range illumination. If I have to "detour" around something like a pebble, stick, whatever, I need to be able to assess maybe 5 "alternate lines" within a split second, like I do every day in sunlight...

I should add - I have pocketable flashlights for the times I could use throw (going from one residential neighborhood to another or riding back to the car). Throw is simply not a consideration for the headlamp I'd like to find...

4. POWERFUL as possible. Flood takes power. Rollerblading at night takes lighting. That's why this has to have a rechargeable option, and I don't care if I have to carry a pound of spares in my backpack. (although at that point I guess cells and charger might refactor the purchase decision!)

5. Can't be too bulky on the head, but I'll tote a freaking 2 pound battery pack remotely attached if need be...

I've looked around, seen some Zebralights that almost seem to meet my needs, but wondering what else might be out there....

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I was going to suggest Zebralight but it seems you are already aware of them.

The Surefire Saint seems to have pretty good flood.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H60 would probably be my choice for long running, bright floodlight.

A very wide flood will seem pretty dim if there is a bit of ambient light (streetlights, cars and houses) so something with a bit more reach might be good.

Robinda

Newly Enlightened
Silva L1 very powerful and has a runners battery belt option available

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you can go wrong with a Magicshine, unless you don't want to buy from China:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=180

I have one of the earlier 900's and it is bright! Pretty much all flood, but it carries pretty well. Maybe brighter than you want? Or maybe not. The optional head strap is fine, if not terrific, and the lighthead doesn't weigh much. Do a search and you can find an extensive thread on this light.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can go wrong with a Magicshine, unless you don't want to buy from China:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_41&products_id=180

I have one of the earlier 900's and it is bright! Pretty much all flood, but it carries pretty well. Maybe brighter than you want? Or maybe not. The optional head strap is fine, if not terrific, and the lighthead doesn't weigh much. Do a search and you can find an extensive thread on this light.

yeah tha Magicshine is the way to go if you dont mind batt packs.
GREAT VALUE!

probably close to 500 OTF lumens.
the connectors can be a bit fiddly tho.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget that when the light is coming from your forehead, there are no shadows cast by objects in front. This is due to your eyes being in line with the light source. By objects I refer to the twigs and stones that you might (will?) encounter. I think this could result in injury when doing a speedy activity like this.

Unless the street lights cast some shadow for you, but this is un-reliable.

A belt mount will enable you to see the shadows cast by these objects.

As already mentioned above, Zebralight H60 seems a good option here - you can clip it to your belt, it's re-chargeable and you get a good amount of flood.

Wish I could roller blade, sounds like a cool way of earning some cash. Undoubtedly, I would break my neck though...:eek:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Don't forget that when the light is coming from your forehead, there are no shadows cast by objects in front. This is due to your eyes being in line with the light source. By objects I refer to the twigs and stones that you might (will?) encounter. I think this could result in injury when doing a speedy activity like this.

Unless the street lights cast some shadow for you, but this is un-reliable.

A belt mount will enable you to see the shadows cast by these objects.

As already mentioned above, Zebralight H60 seems a good option here - you can clip it to your belt, it's re-chargeable and you get a good amount of flood.

Wish I could roller blade, sounds like a cool way of earning some cash. Undoubtedly, I would break my neck though...:eek:

That is a very interesting point I hadn't thought of - shadowing of objects I need to dodge... unfortunately right now the Zebralight site specifically says the H60 is on clearance and doesn't include the clip. Even if it did I'd probably have to tuck my shirt in to use it on a belt - that'd be okay in the middle of winter, but any other time that's just way too much extra heat body heat retained. The third thing that's given me pause with the H60 is the 190 lumen mode is restricted to ten minutes via timer, then it goes down to 110 lumens to avoid overheating. That'd be rather frustrating since I'd be skating in cool night air with the thing, hardly a risk of overheating there...

HOWEVER, I may still end up considering the H60 just because it'd be a great flashlight on the side, and as a flashlight it'd fill a niche that my current lineup of flashlights doesn't address....

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I doubt cool night air will be enough to keep it cool... unless its below zero or if you are delivering underwater.

ahorton

Enlightened
I maintain that if you want a high power headlamp for sport, then your only option is to go custom.

The only products that exist on the market are so bulky or sit so far away from your forehead that they bounce around way too much to be useful in sport.

My suggestion:
If you don't care what it looks like, grab a 7Up XPG board with matching optic, make a simple lighthead from an aluminium sheet, a few 18650s for a battery, circuit and switch inline between battery and LED and you'll have a 2000+ lumen light for under $150.

2 18650 cells will balance on the back of your head well but only give 45 mins runtime. More could go in a backpack or on a belt.

You are welcome to pinch ideas from my efforts, though you will be wanting something for pure flood while mine also has throw.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287292
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290476

Last edited:

tedh

Newly Enlightened
For me, creating shadows is the key to safe routefinding at night, I'd echo the comments already made on the subject.

One light that seems to get little respect here at CPF is the Fenix MC10. However, it might be a candidate for providing shadows by mounting on a belt. Or, the 4Sevens prism attachment on another light.

Adding another candidate to your list of headlights, how about the Fenix HL20? The Zebralights are a more elegant design, but the HL20 gives the option of diffuse or spot in one unit.

Ted

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Well, my airspeed would be the equivalent of being right in front of a small fan - but then again the heat coming off my head while skating might offset that...

Hahaha... I'm pretty sure that won't make a difference. I was always under the impression that lights that run hot (especially ones that need to automatically step down) require a lot more than some air flow to cool it.
But we're getting OT.

From the advice others have given. I might throw out the First Light Tomahawk - seems perfect for what you need.

derangboy

Enlightened
My first headlamp for delivering newspapers by bike was a Black Diamond Vectra IQ. I found the 5mm LEDs were lacking and the incan was a bit power hungry. So I went to a Saint at the beginning of last winter and I've been very happy with it. I get about 4 hours (2 days) on max using regular AA NiMH batteries at winter temperatures.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
The whole "shadowing thing" has really got me thinking though - it's worth noting that the true goal here is identifying and/or avoiding ground debris while skating at night - not so much "seeing where I'm going"...

It got me to thinking maybe I'd be better off getting a couple Zebralight H501's and attaching them directly to the skates...

I think what I'd better do is take my two Quark Mini 123's out with some duct tape and do some testing, both mounted to the skates and then mounted to a hat.

Those lights wouldn't fill the bill for a final solution, but they should be plenty for testing purposes...

Loving CPF for this - I simply would not have thought of this point!

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I maintain that if you want a high power headlamp for sport, then your only option is to go custom.

The only products that exist on the market are so bulky or sit so far away from your forehead that they bounce around way too much to be useful in sport.

My suggestion:
If you don't care what it looks like, grab a 7Up XPG board with matching optic, make a simple lighthead from an aluminium sheet, a few 18650s for a battery, circuit and switch inline between battery and LED and you'll have a 2000+ lumen light for under $150.

2 18650 cells will balance on the back of your head well but only give 45 mins runtime. More could go in a backpack or on a belt.

You are welcome to pinch ideas from my efforts, though you will be wanting something for pure flood while mine also has throw.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/287292
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290476

Once I factor in the cells and charger the cost goes way up, but thank you VERY MUCH for this post, it is something I will definitely be retaining in my mind for possible future use!

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, lights on your skates will max out the shadows! Might be too much motion, though. Perhaps a belt mount? Or, maybe hand mounted, assuming you're not too overloaded with flyers? Like you said, time for some experiments! Custom LED belt buckle? Hey, that might just work....

Ted

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with ahorton- I usually have ~700 OTF on my head
when doing DH MTB at night. Sometimes I also have ~500 on
the bars too..

PERSONALLY :kiss:lovecpf
I think u guys are trippin on the shadow thing a bit much.

I use headlamps riding VERY steep tech trails and large jumps + drops
at night on my DH MTN bike and dont have this shadow problem even
when I dont use a bar light to supplement the one on my head.

its MORE important (again in my experience) to be able to turn
your head and have the light follow than to have a fixed light at
waist level or whatever. your head turns first usually and your body follows.

YMMV

one of these days I need someone to build me a 7 up xpg HL...