Need Help Finding A Power Supply

MicroE

Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a power supply and I was hoping that somebody here could point me toward a reasonable (read: cheap) place to buy one.

Here are the specs:

Input = Standard US Line 115VAC

Output = Variable from 0 to 100VDC, 1 Amp minimum.

Any ideas?---Marc

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MicroE:
I'm looking to buy a power supply and I was hoping that somebody here could point me toward a reasonable (read: cheap) place to buy one.

Here are the specs:

Input = Standard US Line 115VAC

Output = Variable from 0 to 100VDC, 1 Amp minimum.

Any ideas?---Marc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ebay.
I would strongly recommend a used "name brand" like HP, Lambda, Sorensen, etc., over a new "no name" brand. Not listed in your specs but worth considering is adjustable current limit. This feature can save you the consequences of all sorts of screwups.

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks, Doug and Andy. Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to spend some real money. Oh well, it's only pictures of dead presidents.
smile.gif

laynlow

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure it must go to 100vdc? I race slotcars and we use very clean dc powersupplies that will go up to 12v. Amps are not a problem as some of our motors will pull 13 or so. Once of these will set you back around $300.00

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Do you need it regulated? If not, a variac transformer with a bridge rectifier and filter cap may do quite will and would not cost a lot. If you need regulation, it is going to cost you. The range you are looking for is uncommon, very wide and not consumer electronics.
I have worked with Lambda's EMI EMS series power supplies and find them quite durable. I have not seen the price on these but I know they are not cheap. Kepco is another brand that may have something in the range you are looking.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Something else to consider, two power supplies in series. Bench supplies with isolated outputs can usually be connected together in series or slaved together. So you could take two 50 volt supplies and get the voltage and current you need and probly stay under $350. Just verify the supplies you get are isolated and can be used this way.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
You would do very well to watch Ebay for Xantrex and Sorensen supplies. I have purchased some very nice supplies from there. Both Xantrex and Sorensen have some quarter rack size supplies that are 60v and 1A. They are regulated and very clean. Brand new the go for ~$800, I have purchased them for $60~$100 used.

Right now there is a 5A 60V supply (regulated, but switching) going for $295 take home price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3310745567&category=32720
Thus with two, you would have more power than you need. Or wait for the older 1A versions to show up and you should be able to stack them and walk away for ~$150 for some darn good supplies.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Actually here are some very good supplies at reasonable prices.

300V 3.5A Single U rack mount
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2507839576&category=32720

80V 13A Single U rack mount
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2507938807&category=32720

I personally like these 1 U switching supplies. If you want to pay less, Sorensen has some much larger, heavier, linear supplies that usually sell very cheap. They cost a fortune to ship, so watch it! Such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2507786736&category=32720

Entropy

Enlightened
Power supplies to look into:

Agilent/HP 6545A. (Note: This PS is $1670 new from Agilent. Not sure how well you could do used.)

Sorensen makes excellent DC power supplies too.

Unfortunately, 0-100V is a pretty uncommon voltage range, hence it's going to be hard to find cheap.

Closest economical PS I can find to your requirements is an Agilent E3617A. 60V 1A, $558 new.

Entropy

Enlightened
WHOA. That Sorensen DCS is CHEAP.

If I were the original poster I'd reccommend going up to $300-400 or more for a supply like that. The DCS units are VERY NICE power supplies. (We use them at work, they're my favorite supplies when I'm not doing remote GPIB control... The only complaint I have is that they're a ***** to control with GPIB. HP 603x series supplies are much better in that respect, but a pain to use manually.)

Just one thing to note: Not sure about these DCSes, but the ones I work with like to be fed with three-phase AC...

Floating Spots

Enlightened
The 1KW DCS ones are 120V or 240V single phase, selectable. The 3KW models can use 240 single phase or 208 3 phase.

I don't use GPIB with the DCSs at work.
I do have a pair of monster 12KW Xantrex that are easy enough to use over GPIB. I use direct I/O from within Agilent Vee for GPIB.

Entropy

Enlightened
Haven't dealt with any Xantrexes. We only have one project at work that would ever need more than a kilowatt, and that one's been shelved for a while.

Don't know about the Xantrexes, but HP/Agilent supplies are a pleasure to program.

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks CPFers. I picked up a used no-name brand (Flintstones, I think) for $200 that does 1A from 0 to 200VDC. I was able to test it before handing over the $$ and that is important to me.
The stuff on eBay can be a really good bargain but there is a lot of risk since a bunch of them are being sold as-is. I really don't need to start another electronics project (diagnosing and repairing a used/broken power supply).

Everybody was really helpful. Thanks again.---Marc

Latest posts