Need Help Selecting A Couple High Quality Snow Shovels

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steel doesn't crack...the main problem with most plastic snow items.

I've always used cheap plastic ones from hardware store and they work fine, and no cracks from shoveling snow. One did crack eventually, but that's from me kicking it trying to dislodge ice.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I suspect that the Wovel.com people are not aware of the bestsnowshovel.com guys using their name. Or perhaps they are, and that's why there is no link to buy the bungie-cord model.

I just ordered the wheelie model, so I'll see how it goes.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that the Wovel.com people are not aware of the bestsnowshovel.com guys using their name. Or perhaps they are, and that's why there is no link to buy the bungie-cord model.

Post back here with your opinion of it after you receive it. It looked like a good concept, but I wasn't willing to drop over $100 for a shovel.

Cydonia

Enlightened
The local Home Depot here (Canada) sells the Wovel for $119 Canadian. Only it is called the Snow Wolf instead! See the Home Depot page. $119CAD translates into $95US with exchange rate. Hell of a lot cheaper than ordering from the Wovel site.

The bestsnowshovel video was great! What a neat gag rip off of the Wovel name... it must sidetrack a lot of people who google "wovel" and "best snow shovel" etc., :twothumbs But since he is not selling anything but an idea... an idea that anyone can try out with a few bungee cords and a replacement plastic "D" shovel handle... whoa... I'm going to try it!!! Looks fun :thumbsup:

Last edited:

savumaki

Enlightened
I have moved several feet/yards/lbs/heaps of that white s""t and lately I find that a snow float works best for me; picture a large scoop with a flat bottom and a rounded back with sides that taper from the higher back to the leading edge. Propulsion is provided by a handle which attaches to the sides and rises up into your work starved hands standing some 3-4 ft behind.
You can push this into the snow you want to remove and when full you can retreat to deliver it somewhere else or push the handle down and continue over the snow in front to wherever you wish to dump it.

I don't believe it took that much to explain such a simple operation.

The big plus is you don't lift the snow; simply slide under it and push to final destination. Sure saves the back ( a big plus at 70)

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
One situation where I do use a pusher, I also use a "thrower" with it. When we get a small amount of fluffy snow, I place the shovels side by side, using a hand on each shovel to push snow into a pile where the "thrower" is used to get rid of the pile. A pass in each direction of the sidewalk and it's done in minutes.

A plastic pusher would probably be ideal for this. I'll get one when my 40 year old steel shovel breaks. Until then the old heavy pusher will enhance my workout.

spencer

Enlightened
I live in Canada and we get a lot of snow. What I use is this
9676388ag3.th.jpg
my.php
to push it off to the side then this
snowscoop400qd7.th.jpg
my.php
to pile it in the middle of my lawn. If we get lots of snow then I usually use a narrower shovel to push it off to the side then use the scoop.
IMO the scoop is one of the best shovels you can buy when shoveling large amounts of snow. One year we had to move 2+ feet of snow off the deck and into a pile at the cabin after we hadn't been there for awhile. It would have taken all day without the scoop. As it was it took a couple hours. This year we had to clear out our driveway when we got up there. Lets just say I wouldn't want to have done it without the scoop.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

The wovel.com people (via email) were not aware of this other website, and appreciated my order and note about the other site using the "Wovel" name. :eek:

I'll let you know how it works.

mechBgon

Enlightened
My new shovel came! Now we're guaranteed not to get any more snow for the rest of the winter :p

A/V Dude

Newly Enlightened
I don't use a shovel. I just tell the local Coke addicts that the driveway is covered in Cocaine. B.Y.O.S.:crackup:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, I got my Wovel today. Took about 20 mins to bolt together, and I honestly didn't have that big of expectations. I did not shovel half of the driveway in the last week, and there was about 6-8" with some of it melt-crusted...most of it is heavier due to mid 30's and sunny today.

I felt as dorky as the guys in the video, hawking around this big wheeled contraption. Then I started using it.

I'm sold, and consider it worth the $$$ for several reasons.
1) It was at least 3 times as fast as using a manual snow shovel...in part because of needing to go at a slower/sensible pace, and resting muscles from all the lifting when using a typical snow shovel.

2) It is even faster than the gas powered snow blower, because that has to go at a moderate speed to avoid clogging, and doesn't do well with heavy/wet/icy snow.

3) Because you are pushing, you have the advantage of your forward walking momentum, so less strain/force exerted with arms. This allows you to scoop into hard/crusted snow amazingly well.

4) There is no strain on the back. For all those who have had back injuries, or strains, this is for you. It works on the fulcrum/wheelbarrow principle with the wheel carrying the weight, and you work it as a lever using the handles. You have enough leverage that it is extremely easy to push down with handles and have snow fly forward.

5) The hardest stuff to shovel is all the heavy piled up, sand/salt/sloshy snow from the city snow plows. This wovel scooped and tossed it away like child's play. I was really amazed.
The only downside (besides the price) compared to a normal snow shovel is its larger and longer size. I got the folding handle model which releases with a single cotter pin, as does the wheel for easy removal, so doing that minimizes its storage footprint.

If I would have known about this before I bought my snow blower years ago, I would have gotten this instead.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I would have known about this before I bought my snow blower years ago, I would have gotten this instead.

Thanks for the review Luxluthor. I've thought about getting one of those, but I can only imagine what my neighbors would say. :crackup:
I might pick one up either way though if it is as good as you say. I'm surprised that you say it's even faster than using a normal shovel. I figured that was its downfall, and that it would be much slower than your average scoop shovel.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Believe me, if I thought it was a gimmick or not worth the extra $$$, I would say so without hesitation. Obviously for young bucks who could shovel a mile long driveway without breaking a sweat, this is not necessary...but this was indeed much faster and virtually no strain. The real test was that heavy city plow heavy slushy stuff that mounds up at the end of your driveway. I doubt I will bother using my snow blower again.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Interesting review Lux...
As I said earlier, they sell them at Home Depot's up here in Canada :devil:

Has anyone used a bungee cord on a straight snow shovel like in that impostor "Wovel" rip off video?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe me, if I thought it was a gimmick or not worth the extra $$$, I would say so without hesitation. Obviously for young bucks who could shovel a mile long driveway without breaking a sweat, this is not necessary...but this was indeed much faster and virtually no strain. The real test was that heavy city plow heavy slushy stuff that mounds up at the end of your driveway. I doubt I will bother using my snow blower again.

Hmmm... I'm almost sold. Especially since Home Depot (in Canada) carries them, and I live within driving distance.
You are certain that this thing is faster than using a standard shovel? I'm a relatively young guy (25) and pretty strong, so I wasn't sure if the Wovel is only faster for people who aren't very athletic, or if it is faster for everyone.

Interesting review Lux...
As I said earlier, they sell them at Home Depot's up here in Canada :devil:

Has anyone used a bungee cord on a straight snow shovel like in that impostor "Wovel" rip off video?

I'd buy one of those Wovel rip offs if they were for sale anywhere, but I would imagine making one yourself would be difficult.