Need Light for Medical Deployment to Eastern Chad

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

What about;

Mini Maglite 2AA or Mini Mini Maglite 1AA w/ Surefire F04 Diffuserlens and TerraLux MiniStar 2 (TLE-5) RED LED, either with the stock tailcap and the spare incan bulb inside if the LED won't work or maybe use TerraLux TCS-1 tailcap? So far I have found this to be the best RED pocket light... Maybe Surefire L1 RED LED 2-stage would be better though, but for a higher price and it uses one CR123A Lithium battery instead of the AA.

and maybe one more of the same set-up, but with the White LED instead... 2 lights with different color; Red for RED LED and Blue/Black for WHITE LED...

If the need for spare parts, I recon Maglite would be a good choice since you more or less find them anywhere...

Just my 2 cent

PA

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
walkabout said:
A big "two thumbs up" to your cousin for taking on such a noble and hazardous task. I'm a big supporter of MSF/DWB and the work they do. They stay when the UN, Red Cross and NGOs have high-tailed it for cover.
Doug

+1 on that! :) :goodjob:

paulr

Flashaholic
I wouldn't recommend the E0 based on its construction. As a technology buff I think the Fenix lights are great, but I don't use them in demanding environments. I think they need to develop more of a reliability track record before I'd suggest them for an application like this. Also, AA's are preferable to AAA's for this, I see. So I would still go for the other lights suggested over the Fenix. Actually the UK 2AAA eLED also comes to mind--plastic, highly waterproof, long runtime. Or the Peak Matterhorn, or a 3AAA headlamp like the Petzl Taktikka (if it doesn't look too military) or the Energizer 2-white-led 1-red-led model.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I've reconsidered the mag incan and scrapped that idea. I purchased a red led infinity ultra for his primary light, and was fortunate enough to be offered an Arc AA, which will be hanging from his neck at all times. I've already sent the gerber to him and the Arc is making its way over here all the way from South Korea.

I passed along the props you guys gave him and he appreciates it, as well as the good advice that you've given. The lights will certainly see a lot of use.

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
If you really want to be careful, give him a led key chain light as well, perhaps a Photon Freedom, for the multiple power levels. Tiny, runs a long time, coin sized so it cna always be handy. Either red for night vision, or the Photon Freedom white for maximum clout - it's brighter than a Maglite. You can buy 100 batteries for a Photon for $20 on ebay.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing that came to my mind was the Eternalight - probably an Ergomarine. Insanely long run time at lower levels - very adjustable levels but not a lot of throw. Drawbacks might be exposed LED's and while case is ABS and very impact resistant and waterproof it's not bullet proof like a Surefire. Of course SF doesn't have AA lights though so I think it's still a good choice. Also has strobe and S.O.S if that might be needed. Otherwise possibly one of the Fenix L1D lights.

ILL-Luminated

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question/suggestion, no need for debate. Does your cousin own a GPS?
There is nothing better (especially in the dark) to ensure you are heading in the
right direction (vice harm's way) then to have waypointed your friendly locations
before you are possibly forced to move in short order in the dark, especially on
unfamiliar terrain. Genuine concern for your cousin's safety is why I ask. It is
debatable about the military perception concern, he would have to weigh that
into the equation.