Need options for: 1X CR123 EDC light

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking for a good EDC light, I want a small 1X CR123 light, with a clicky switch that has momentary on function. I would also like it to have a strike bezel. Something with a minimum of 200 lumens. also, I would like it to be under $50 (if possible). I have been looking at the Lumintop L1C, and the Nightcore MT1C. Anybody have any suggestions, or experience with these two lights? Thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you made it sound as the crenulated bezel is preferred but optional, here are some options;

ThruNite Archer 1C - Has a firefly mode that can be very useful in low light environment. Mild crenulated bezel. Under $50.
Klarus XT1C - Has a secondary switch located at tailcap that toggles the light's output modes, and is favored by many LEO for its tactical UI. No crenulated bezel. Under $50.
Foursevens Quark 123 Tactical XP-G2 - Fully regulated flashlight that can be powered by damned near any battery you can shove inside the tube without ill effects. Has firefly mode. Can be programmed. No crenulated bezel. Over $50.
Jetbeam RRT-0 XM-L - Magnetic control ring allows for infinitely variable output, albeit with loss of efficiency at lower outputs. Has firefly mode. Large for 1xCR123A light. Stock crenulated bezel can be replaced with much more aggressive aftermarket bezels. Over $50.
Fenix PD22 - Side switch located toward the head allows for toggling outputs. Has crenulated bezel. Over $50.

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot! I'm now leaning toward the Fenix PD22. But which emitter would be best? The S2 or the G??? And while I'm thinkinh of it, would the PD32 XM-L be a better choice for EDC, or is it too big for pocket carry?

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I've been comparing 1xcr123 lights for the past week and a half, I'm going with the jetbeam BC10, I would have choose the nitecore but I don't want/care for flashy modes so I choose the 2 mode jetbeam, other than the number of modes it's pretty much the same thing as the MT1C. I'm holding off ordering till the preon P1 I ordered my wife for Mother's Day gets here, I really want a 1x cr123 light (I've been EDC'ing one of a few different 2xcr123 lights for awhile now) but if the P1 impresses me I may convert back to standard size (eneloop NiMH) battery's for EDC pocket carry. If I didn't require a click switch I would choose the 4sevens mini ML-X, I would happily take the decreased lumen output to support a great local company.

Brightholzer

Newly Enlightened
Rant: Why is it so unpopular to offer a hard attached (not snap on) deep carry clip?

One thing I don't like is the clip attachment/solution on many of these models: MT1C,PD22, BC-10, etc. Either make it a permanent attachment or not at all IMO. The BC-10's is very weak.

For example; I long liked the Surefire E1B: both orientations and it is not snapping off. The Nitecore EC1 is GTG. Rant over :D

Last edited:

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
I have a jetbeam PA01, AA, and like it, except it does not feature momentary on. I looked at the BC/PC10 and like them, but they also do not have this feature, which bugs the heck out of me! I think the Fenix has most of the features that I'm looking for. The Klarus is also really nice!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant the G2 or S2?

XP-G2

Also, PD32UE is a bit long. If you are considering PD32UE, then take a look at ThruNite TN12 or PowerTac E5 2nd Gen. TN12 and E5 are shorter than PD32UE and have pretty much the same output.

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Ok, after much research on various lights, I have narrowed it down to the Fenix PD22 (R5) G2, or the Klarus XT1C...
Of these two lights, which one would be of better quality and better size for EDC?

Thanks everyone for your input!

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Any similar lights, with criteria that I listed above, that feature an XM-L emitter?

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
THANTS WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT, I'M FINDING CONFLICTING RESULTS ABOUT THE D25C, Some people say it has it, others say its only a reverse clicky. I tried contacting EagleTac, but nothing yet. I love the specs on this light tho! The 2XC version as well!

Simplespeed

Newly Enlightened
I think they offer two different options as far as leds go. I just left a local light store. They seemed to know what they were talking about much more than I do but the box I have says thats the light thats in there. Its very nice for the price. Compared to my pt2l in the daylight its muuuuuch brighter. Tonight ill check it out at a distance. The light seems well built though.

This is the one I bought and the store I bought it from. http://www.lighthound.com/EagleTac-D25C-Clicky-Mini-Flashlight_p_4125.html

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
THANTS WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT, I'M FINDING CONFLICTING RESULTS ABOUT THE D25C, Some people say it has it, others say its only a reverse clicky. I tried contacting EagleTac, but nothing yet. I love the specs on this light tho! The 2XC version as well!

The D25 Clicky series lights are most definitely reverse clickies. You should read some of Selfbuilt's reviews of the lights you are interested in.

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Yes, they do offer several versions of the LED. It's a great size, and read selfbuilts reviews and it seems like an awesome EDC light! I may be able to accept the reverse clicky as a compromise for everything else seeming PERFECT for me! I am considering this of the Fenix PD22, but only because the Fenix has momentary on. I really don't like the clip it has though :( The D25C is almost twice as bright too!!

appliancejunk

Enlightened
If I was in the market for a 1x cr123 flashlight I would for sure want to give the Fenix PD22 G2 a shot. This is based on my daily use of the Fenix LD12 S2 and G2. Love the G2 light output!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
With the D25C, if you turn the flashlight on, for just a couple seconds, then click it off, and then on again a few seconds later (and it is in Group 1, with head tight) will it stay on same mode, or switch between turbo and strobe, each time it is turned off and on for short periods?

Simplespeed

Newly Enlightened
Im not familiar enough with the light yet to answer that Dlight. But, the directions did say something about how to set the memory in one of the groups to your liking. I had it on turbo more last night for 5 minutes straight and the light got hot but man was it bright. It has a lot more spill than I am used to and I guess its a good thing for what ill be using the light for. Im happy with this light so far.

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
With the D25C, if you turn the flashlight on, for just a couple seconds, then click it off, and then on again a few seconds later (and it is in Group 1, with head tight) will it stay on same mode, or switch between turbo and strobe, each time it is turned off and on for short periods?

It'll stay in the same mode if you just click it off & wait a second before you turn it on again. If you do it real fast it will go to strobe mode though, at least mine does. Many of these have problems with memory mode not coming back on again if you turn it off once btw, and mine also gets stuck in the first blinky mode from time to time & when that happens it keeps coming on in that mode for a day or so with the head loosened. Terribly annoying. I've been waiting for two months now to get a proper working replacement from Eagletac, I know I won't be buying from this company ever again after experiencing their customer service.

(go Fenix :p )

If I could find a Quark 123 with a neutral LED I would go for that one. Another one worth looking in to imo is the Olight S10. The regular one just comes in cool white I believe, but there is a titanium version that comes with a neutral white LED too although it may be a bit above your budget.

Last edited:

Simplespeed

Newly Enlightened
Iv had my eye on the s10 also. Ill probably pick one up soon. As far as the eagletac. Its very bright, very small and pretty damn cheap, so im happy with it.