Need recommendations for a UV (Ultraviolet) light

Nebula

Enlightened
LEDcandle, I'm looking for a bright compact UV light also. If you wouldn't mind me also butting in for a minute...I wanted to ask if CPFers thought that the A19 would be nice on a Vital Gear VG-2 body?

Also where is the Jil light available from? I haven't seen them in a while.

Yes, the A19 looks nice on the VG-2. It looks even better on the VG-1 body. I have them all and have tried the different combinations. That said, I prefer the A19 on the Aleph 1x 123 power pack. Cheers. KK

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Whatever happened to this?

http://ledmuseum.thefire.us/pm6uv.htm

Looks impressive. Most of the T 1 3/4 products are mere toys in comparison.

I have one of these; it was way more powerful than anything else in it's time, however my TerraLux UV outperforms it now in terms of brightness and throw. When Paul was making up those 6W UV lights, he wisely chose to underdrive them a bit because the LED arrays were so expensive. Of course this trades off brightness and throw for lifetime.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I second the X5 from experience. I have a blue X5. This is the older version. That sucker throws out a ton of light. The newer version is even brighter. Huge flood beam.

Wouldn't the ideal UV setup be flood rather than throw?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xenopus 3xCree for 3C or 4C flashlights looks nice... but I wonder how long has it been in 'available soon' mode, and whether it will just drop-into a mag... :D

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm really confused with the wave length thing...
What is your experiences with the X5 ?
Thanks !

Gaffle

Enlightened
What is your experiences with the X5 ?

I just mean that my X5 is a very good flood light. I think you need more of a flood UV light for your tasks.

The current X5 is brighter than older version (better LEDs), and it is a very good flood light. If you are looking at stuff like finger prints your doing up close work. Added bonus, X5 is in your budget.

Spypro

Enlightened
What about the Peak Led Solutions UV flashlights ?
I saw a thread about them but I can't find them on their website.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does a sub 300 nm LED exist?

LEDs from The Fox Group go down to around 350-360 nm. I am not personally familiar with shorter wave LEDs. You may also want to look into UV fluorescent tubes. I feel they are competitive with the current LEDs. If you need exotic short wavelengths try looking into "Bililight" and "Woods Light" These are medical UV devices. The ones that are sold as "Black Lights" or party or poster lights are probably 395 nm. I seem to recall that Craig gave good marks to a little UV fluoresent light.

When you get down around 300 NM you are moving from UV-A (the kind of UV we all know and love) into UV B, the medium wave UV. UV-B is normally not present on the surface of the Earth so I would suggest you treat it with caution if you get hold of any. We all have some mild resistance to UV-A because we evolved with it. With UV-B you're going beyond what nature has prepared you for, so watch yourself.

If you go to:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

scroll down to "Batting Cleanup" (almost at very bottom) and click on "[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]Availability of Deep UV LEDS[/FONT][/FONT]" Craig has some references.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Regular fluorescent black lights with the integral BLB (Black Light Blue) filter glass fall around 365nm. The Fox Group LEDs fall in this range, which is "short" for an LED but still falls into the range of longwave UV. If you really need 365nm at a decent power level, you're probably better off with a small handheld fluorescent lamp. WallyWorld sells one for $10 in their Halloween section.

Spypro

Enlightened
I saw a thread about the Peak LED Solutions UV flashlights.
There.

They look very interesting but I don't know how we can order them.
I sent 2 emails to PLS and get no answers.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking into getting one for a few uses,

What im interested to know, is how well do things florescence under 365-390 range ?

The only P60 drop in i can find is the DX one, which is 390-400 which is fairly long...

Crenshaw

igoodnessi

Newly Enlightened
Need recommendation for UV light to spot Fake ID's

I'm doing security at a nice place that gets a high volume of underage kids trying to get in with fake ID's. Can anyone recommend some good lights for spotting the holograms on ID's? I bought a few cheaper lights and they do not show the detail well. For instance California has a hologram that is three different colors and the cheaper lights will not show these all the colors or it shows them in poor quality. Thanks for any help. Feel free to e-mail me suggestions. Thanks again.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried the three UV lights I had handy with my CA driver's license...

• Cheapie Photon Microlight knock-off (unknown wavelength) did not show the three-color, security images at all.
  • A19 w/UV Cree XR-E from the Sandwich Shoppe (390-410nm) showed two of the three colors in the security images.
  • Arc AAA UV (375nm) showed all three colors in the security images perfectly.
Photon has a number of UV offerings, including the inexpensive Microlights, but I don't know what LEDs they're using nor the UV wavelengths they produce. Maybe check with uvflashlights.com?

Databyter

Enlightened
The more powerful versions are terrific for Vampire hunting, not only do they fluoresce, they melt and scream in agony, and sometimes catch fire if you can keep it on them for more than 10-15 seconds. The eyes are the most sensitive, can be used as a repellant for defense, Get a bright flood if there is multiple targets (which there usually is).

Oh ya, forgot to mention, if you are going to use the floods quite a bit wear sunblock

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The more powerful versions are terrific for Vampire hunting, not only do they fluoresce, they melt and scream in agony, and sometimes catch fire if you can keep it on them for more than 10-15 seconds. The eyes are the most sensitive, can be used as a repellant for defense, Get a bright flood if there is multiple targets (which there usually is).

Are vampires a big problem in San Diego? They don't mention them in any of the tourism brochures :poke:

Databyter

Enlightened
Are vampires a big problem in San Diego? They don't mention them in any of the tourism brochures :poke:
Not really bad here, that I've noticed, but Mexico is pretty infested with them and it's close by.

p.s. Just re-watched "The Lost Boys" last night hence my colorful post.