Need Search & Rescue light

325addict

Enlightened
Well, if the majority of your searches take place in the WOODS I would strongly advise to stay on the INCAN-route. The MC you have now, is an excellent light for in the woods, the only problem is the runtime, which is too short indeed.
A LED is worthless in the woods, period. I tried numerous of them, you cannot tell the difference in color if it's dark brown, dark green or black. EVERYTHING is black. You will find yourself in a black & white world.

FiveMega created the light you need: a 2.5D Maglite, to take 4X 18650s. Together with a MagNum star 6-cell bulb, this one will run for 5 to 6 hours, and will have plenty of light for the task. It's a little less than the MC, but you'll have to compromise here: longer run time means less light...
It really is a great piece of kit, I use this one as an all-round flashlight in and around the house, together with more "normal" Maglites, this 2.5D clearly outshines all other Mags, except... the MC!
I checked for you, it is still available:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245998
You need the "2S/2P 18650 with switch tower without charging jack".
There's just ONE black left, for $97,- :caution:

As a back-up, I would try to find a decent WARM WHITE LED-light. I just ordered one of those limited run warm white 4 sevens lights, let's see if this one is finally suited for use in the woods... at least, all "ordinary" Fenixes etc. with the well-known Q5 LED are NOT.
Even that "neutral white" Fenix (TK20??) is not too well. I compared it next to a P1D, it was just a hair less blueish :mecry:

There's still a lot of work to do for those LED-manufacturers... although some of those ultra-bright Luminus-LEDs ARE available in the 3000... 4000K range, but somehow, the only ones offered in flashlights are those 6500K angry blue ones... again!

Timmo.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
I like AELights as the 25Watt version in this situation. First, you get 2 hours of very bright and on the warm side light. You can replace the battery easily. It is relatively affordable. It is waterproof and very durable. This is exactly where HID lights shine.

If you want to light up the whole woods than a Polarion PH40 or an AE 35/50 are for you. They are both the ultimate in durability, weather proofness and have changeable batteries.

You still need a "normal" carry LED light for use once you reach you target.

aehaas

flashfiend

Enlightened
Lambda VaraPower ***I'd like to add that this runs on NiMH and possibly alkaline. Both are way more common than Li-Ion.

Relatively inexpensive and super bright. I would call and ask to see if they can build you one with a warm LED.

Otherwise I will agree with 325addict, except I would build a regulated incan setup. I've heard CPF member Justin Case might be able to help you with a JimmyM regulator setup. You could pick between a 3D Mag 5761 setup or a 4D Mag 85 setup. Either one will use the BatterySpace 26650 battery. At their peak output both will give over an hour of runtime.

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
I want to suggest jetbeam M-1, review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631

Probably just as good as the Mag charger in throw, but will fit in your pocket (not your jeans pocket, but your coat pocket) and with 3 hours on maximum. The small xr-e diode gives very good throw for its small reflector size. Oh, and do get the neutral white version. I love mine :)

The beauty of li-ion is that you just charge it whenever you've used the light for anything more than just occational bursts and you're always good to go. A couple of spares is still good advice, though. You'd probably want to invest in 18650 batteries and charger. Get the pila IBC charger from BugoutgearUSA: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/bach.html . Mine came with a couple of battery holders, if you fill that holder you'll have 12 hours of searching just there - at maximum.

Thanks, this one makes my short list.

Originally Posted by hyperloop
you could consider a Jetbeam M1X

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
As an LEO, I have, once in a blue moon, taken part in SAR missions to search for missing person...

The Magcharger worked great until it died after 3 hours.

If your searches are only once in a blue moon, and the Mag charger worked great, the simplest, cheapest thing to do is buy an extra battery stick or two to carry.

I agree with 325addict, for many folks incan provides superior color rendering and better depth perception, important in a rural search scenario. Moving up from the Magcharger battery sticks you could consider a mag charger with extension tubes, or a Mag D, with high capacity NiMH D batteries which can run a Magcharger bulb or ROP lo for 5 hours or more. This configuration seems rediculously large but actually works very well for an overhand carry with the flashlight's barrel resting on ones shoulder. The higher positon of the light reduces shadowing and improves visability - unless it's snowing or raining and then you will sometimes see better if you lower the flashlight to an underhand carry.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Also, you can find aftermarket NiMh battery packs that will double your runtime. Google, Maglite after market battery packs.

Bill

tadbik

Enlightened
Finally got my Thrunite Catapult V2 and I think I made the right choice. Took it out with me on patrol and I can't believe how much more powerful it is than our police issue Magcharger. The Thrunite seems to turn the night to day, it's so bright! Only been a couple of hours use so far and I hope the Thrunite will serve me as many years as the Magcharger did!