need studying tips

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Three tips:

1) Work the worst, most disgusting job you can think of for at least a summer. It "gets your mind right" about the reason for an education.

2) Coffee (I guess Adderall could be a more modern "tool" if the shoe fits.)

3) Livescribe PulsePen

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am tempted to say that most college students would do better if they skipped at least 1/2 of their classes and used the time to read the book and study. Most undergrad classes are just a re-write of the book on the board, and any good, modern prof will put the notes on the web or in a library folder.

Since many "high end" University Profs delegate the teaching to foreign grad students, the time value of sitting in a classroom vs. reading the book or related explanations on wikipedia or a related college on-line course is increasingly questionable. The main problem then becomes one of dealing with last minute changes, or if their class teaching approach is disorganized.

I have come to believe that the main purpose of coming to class is primarily a combination of social interaction and a way to politely engage the prof in a discussion when you blow a test. Obviously, they are not going to care if you are not a familiar face, and frankly, the social interaction is an important part of the college experience.

BTW- the frat people already have all of the old tests, so don't get left out in the cold like I did. Make a friend who is in a frat and get the old tests from them.

One thing is certain - engineering takes blind focus to make it, at least where I studied.

Last edited:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Three tips:

1) Work the worst, most disgusting job you can think of for at least a summer. It "gets your mind right" about the reason for an education.

:twothumbs That's a great piece of advice!
My brother-in-law worked as a welders helper in the hold of a ship at Avondale shipyard in New Orleans one summer... quickly decided that he needed more education, and is now an attorney. Nothing like sweat, pain and poor pay to develop your focus.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Write and re-write notes, it impresses it in your brain. Do it a few times and by say the third, you have it down pretty well usually. Study for short periods of 20 or 30 minutes, then take a few minutes break, this way you do not tire and just waste time fighting boredom. Study before bed then go directly to sleep with no other tv, music or reading.

I always found those to work well for me. I also used highlighters and highlighted text in books while reading, then went back and wrote down what I highlighted. I know you do not get the money back on the book but I found it worked for me so I did not worry about it.

+1 :thumbsup:

cottonpickers

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the advice so far:

1. Write, and re-write your notes
2. Avoid distravtions (like cpf)
3. Use flashcards
4. Use highlighters

My method was

a) Highlight key stuff
b) re-write my (highlight) notes in ever more condensed format.
c) put Q's on one side of flash card and answers on the back

Everything I ever wrote on a flashcard I could answer within 2 weeks. Including whole essays. the back had all the highlight text that I could 'expand' to get the full info.

Good luck

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a two step approach to passing classes and taking tests:
Step 1: Preparation- Don't miss any classes. Take notes. Record the classes with a voice recorder (my MP3 worked for this). Keep up on the reading and stay ahead one chapter (gives you time in case you get sick or something comes up). Start with the hard, boring homework first, and if you get tired, go to the easier subjects and come back the the hard stuff later.

Step 2: Anticipation- Think of the questions that are likely to be on the tests and look up the answers. Some of these questions are often at the end of the chapter as practice questions or chapter reviews. If you not only study the material, but anticipate what you may be tested on and study that, you'll be ready for anything.

I use this method for my martial arts tests as well. Study all material first. Then figure out the most difficult things that they will test me on and practice them until I'm perfect at them. Haven't failed a test in the martial arts and graduated junior college with over a 3.6 GPA.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Engineering is a beast.

You need to figure out where your problem actually lies. I used to spend a lot of time "doing homework" without getting anything done. For me, the aspects of Engineering they focus on in school (Analysis) are not the ones I'm most interested in (Product Design and planning). I was lacking in motivation, leading to severe procrastination. I wasn't putting homework off, I just was not working productively at all.

I just had my best semester ever, which was still far from great, but progress is progress. Here's what helped me.

The Now Habit (Amazon Link)

Study Hacks

Scott Young

I'm working through Scott's book right now. It is just what I've been looking for, in terms of a learning strategy that would work for me.

Cal Newport (Who writes Study Hacks) has encouraged students to start support groups on campus...think Weight Watchers, but for study habits. I'll be leading the group on my campus. You can follow our progress on our blog.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I endured an engineering education by using many of the suggestions posted here. The first semester was rough because the first round of tests taught me that I hadn't yet learned to study. High school was a joke compared to an engineering university.

Here is what worked for me.

When I got home from class I got to work in a dedicated study area. I worked through all of the assigned problems and never let myself get behind. My work was always done before partying.

I didn't stay up late and waste time playing computer games or typing messages to people I had never met. I watched multiple promising students **** away their educations due to distractions. Plenty of rest was very important to my success.

Take notes in class and read through them as soon as you get home to make sure you understand them. While the lecture is fresh in your mind is the best time to make additions or clarifications.

Study in groups! A good study group can be the key to succeeding in a difficult subject. Even if you think you are the smartest one in a group, you will find that teaching others forces you to get a better understanding of the material than you would have otherwise had.

Before a test, I would of course review notes, but also worked through the example problems from the chapter(s) as well as problems from previous exams given by the same professor. Yes, I used files. Fraternities are well known for keeping files, but so did the dorms at my university. The reason is simple: they help prepare you for the exam by exposing you to more problems and specifically those of the type that your professor tends to ask. Don't expect the test to look like the files though; only the laziest of professors ever reused old tests (though I have seen it happen).

I remember my final for Calculus II because I studied all day long for three days straight. I even turned down an invitation to do some one-on-one 'studying' back at the apartment of one of the girls in my study group late in the night prior to the final. Life is full of difficult choices, so get used to it!

The last thing you want in your study area is people talking or a television turned on. I agree that music is fine and can even be helpful, but be mindful of your attention. You can stare at a page and reread it until your eyes dry out without learning a thing. :drool:

Best of luck! :wave:

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
Stay ahead of the game. Starting on day one of the semester, stay even with or even ahead of the professor. If you fall even one day behind, the lectures become incomprehensible and you have to make up for your lack of understanding in the classroom with extra amounts of studying. Eventually, there's not enough time in the day to catch up. It all becomes so much easier if you just get ahead and stay there.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Stay ahead of the game. Starting on day one of the semester, stay even with or even ahead of the professor. If you fall even one day behind, the lectures become incomprehensible and you have to make up for your lack of understanding in the classroom with extra amounts of studying. Eventually, there's not enough time in the day to catch up. It all becomes so much easier if you just get ahead and stay there.
+1

I always used to keep ahead on my assignments. In some cases, I might actually be done with all the work for the semester a few weeks before classes ended. This meant I could relax and study slowly for the finals while many of my classmates were scrambling to do assignments they had procrastinated doing.

CLBME

Enlightened
This was true for me too. My last couple of years of undergrad work were spent in the same manner. I was not an engineering major. I did nearly every bit of my studying in the library. I found cubicles away from the social tables. I studied like it was "a job" and then when I went back to my place off campus, I relaxed and hung out with friends, etc. I tried to separate the two as best as I could.

As has also been mentioned I used flash cards and repetition. I remember a book called "Where there's a will there's a A" (I think) that provided me with some tips that helped too.

FWIW- when I lived in the dorm half of my floor was comprised of engineering students. What a great group of guys. However, their days were very very limited in terms of anything but studying. It was a lot of work for them and I admired their capacity to study endlessly. I'll tell you though when they had time to relax and party they blew off A LOT of steam!:grin2:

Good luck with your education.

Studying changed dramatically for me in that semester. Rather than sit at my computer desk with distractions, I was constantly packing up my backpack and biking to the library. I was there till it closed (1AM) many many MANY times. I was very surprised that I consistently went and stayed so committed to it. Paid off for sure.

As far as actually studying, repetition was a big key. I continually reworked problems on paper. I did a little more reading, but not much.
I think the biggest player in the semester was the absolute isolation from my distractions.

-Cameron

clintb

Enlightened
As a 39 year old who's going back through college, and starting from square one, I can tell you the single largest factor for me is ATTITUDE.

The first time around, I goofed off too much, thought the material was boring, fell asleep in class, etc... This time, with more of life's experiences under my belt, and real world knowledge built up, I've gone into subjects that I failed before and easily aced them because of my attitude towards them. I've been excited to learn the material. Of course, being enthusiastic won't cram the knowledge into your head, so that's where all the other good tips in this thread come into play and I won't rehash them.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The most worrisome thing about this thread is someone in college is asking how to study. From what I have heard, this is pretty common with kids today. When I went to school, they actually taught you effective ways to study.

I was trying to give feedback to my niece working on a Masters thesis, and I was stunned to see her complete inability to spell, use simple correct grammar, not using consistent outline and footnote formatting, not understand the need for actual library/book research, etc.

When I found a dozen or so paragraphs that seemed uncharacteristically erudite, I Googled them. They were all plagiarized verbatim directly from an online source. In two instances, she didn't even bother to change the font from the web page once imported into her document.

Oh yeah....she graduated with high honors from a well known New England (but not Ivy League) college.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, failing to do research and/or outright plagiarism are becoming increasingly common. There are also becoming increasingly hard to spot. It's fairly easy for a teacher to see if a student copied a wikipedia article verbatim, or perhaps added a bit of their own writing in an attempt to hide their plagiarism. It's quite another thing to spot whether or not a student copied from elsewhere on the Internet, perhaps a forum such as this one. There are lots of very educational posts all over the Internet, some of which could probably qualify as independent research in their own right, there for the taking. Given all these potential sources, it's impossible for a teacher to catch every instance of plagiarism. In the past you still had to physically find a source, usually in a library, and then you had to physically copy it. For all that effort, in many cases it wasn't that much harder to just write your own paper. Nowadays it's as easy as Google, cut and paste. And the sad part is fewer and fewer students are even seeing that doing this is wrong. :(

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The detection and right/wrong issues are a whole other aspect. My main shock was seeing the nearly final thesis presentation from someone in a masters program who finished college with high honors.

Honestly, when I read her paper, I felt like I was reading something from an 8th grader or freshman in high school.

When I presented her with the plagiarized source links I found with Google, she knew it was wrong. She was shocked that I thought to do a Google search in the first place, and actually asked how she should change the wording so it wouldn't come up in a future Google search. I didn't tell her that the reason I checked was because the quality of those paragraphs dramatically contrasted with her own writing.

The whole experience made me sad in general, and disappointed in and for her. It also suggested what a worthless educational system with meaningless grade inflation we must have in schools today. I wish I had never read her thesis.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Learning by rote never really worked for me. I like to reverse engineer things in a round about way. If I really want to learn how a thing works I try to design one myself. It helps focus the mind on why something happens not just on how. That sort of mindset can be applied to learning all sorts of subjects.

Whilst my formal education ended over thirty years ago, I have learnt a great deal on many subjects in the intervening period and the key to that aquisition of knowledge was really deep down wanting to learn.

One of my tricks has always been to look at learning from the point of view that I am going to actually have to teach someone else the subject. That helps me pick out the key parts and implant them in my mind and then it's much easier for the memory to acquire the details that complement those key parts.

clg0159

Enlightened
This thread has been interesting to read, and I have seen many very good tips!
I will add that generally (geniuses aside) one needs to repeat material over an extended period of time to commit it to long term memory. This repetition can be visual, auditory, kinesthetic, or any combination of them, but the key is to repeat it many times from the first time it is presented in class until the exam.

Latest posts