New 200 lumen light at Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
At the HD in Tucson, I found it in the tool bin area, where all the power tools are kept.

I didn't check Dobson and the 202. Maybe I will tomorrow. I checked Power Rd. and McKellips, Val Vista, Country Club and US60 and one in Phoenix. I found all the Husky lights in one location where the Christmas gifts <$20, <$30 and <$50 are. I also checked the areas in front of the cash registers and found a couple of novelty lights and the hand tool area (no lights). I also scanned the electrical area without result.

Thanks for the info. I will keep checking.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
I noticed something neat, on a cool night I can go outside and shine 2 lights up into space and kind of see the shape of the beam, at least the hotspot part of it.

Both the Husky lights I have seem to show a very acute angle of beam shooting into space, it's almost a straight pipe of light, it widens very slowly as it goes farther out. I can see which of the two beams stays tighter. Pretty cool! It seems to only work well on some nights though, maybe it's a humidity thing?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of these lights, and both have the LED almost perfectly centered, and one with it just slightly below the reflector and I only see a little difference in the beam. The only time I see a donut hole is if I shine the light about 6-7 inches from a wall. At long distances they are both all light. There is a ring around the hotspot on both, but they all seem to have that.

Mike

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a cool night I can go outside and see the shape of the beam, at least the hotspot part of it. Both the Husky lights I have seem to show a very acute angle of beam shooting into space, it's almost a straight pipe of light, it widens very slowly as it goes farther out. I can see which of the two beams stays tighter.

Yeah, a little moisture or dust in the air, and you no longer have a flashlight... it becomes a Light Saber! The side effect of having a tight beam.

If you think that's cool, at one time I purchased 13 POB HID lights to resell. I ran a run time test on all to be sure they all met the claimed run time. I charged them all and set them on end in a straight row one misty night, all pointing up. Talk about an effect! It looked like, what is it, the Luxor motel in Vegas, with all the lights pointing up from a pyramid? All the beams were in a line then converged, seemingly in outer space! I would have taken a beam shot, but my house is right in the landing path of a federal air field a little over a mile away, and I was kinda nervous to linger with the lights on like that. In fact, my next door neighbor, who works in the tower but happened to be home that night, saw the ebams and ran over to see what was going on. He called over to the tower and asked them to look due south, and they said they could see the beams from the tower! Then he strongly urged me to shut the lights down!

Pima Pants

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help Hellbore. I picked up the last one at the Home Depot at Dobson and the 202. It doesn't have the most perfectly centered emitter but it will do. The brightness is astounding. Thanks again.

Phil_508

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up yesterday. The lens has a slight crack in it but it is on the side. Works well and can't beat it for $25

cruisemissile

Enlightened
It looks and sounds deathly bright.
but in my opinion, its not the nicest thing to look at, I can't get myself to buy one yet.
but 2D's driving a Cree, sounds sweet.

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
My Vote Today:

My Vote: This thread, which turned into a lively discussion and a great tip about a funky, low-cost thrower.:thanks:

Climb14er

Enlightened
I bought one of the HD lights three weeks ago and have found it's an ideal light to keep in the basement office or in the garage.

Very bright, good spill, solid and most of all, low cost... all good attributes for a 'work light'.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually don't get suckered into buying a "cheap light" by a lot hype on the forum, but for $25, I figured I would give the Husky 2D a try expecting I would end up returning it. I just wanted to see what all the excitement in this thread was about.

Well, this light just blows me away and every other flashlight I own as far as throw is concerned. My LED is nearly perfectly centered and slightly recessed below the reflector. I lucked out with a nice warm tint. Although the concentric black ring and yellow cree rings are present around the hotspot, there aren't as many rings as some beam shots of other Husky's here seem to show. Outdoors in actual usage they aren't bothersome at all. OH, another thing; I don't find this light ugly at all. Its silver head is in keeping with the trend towards the look of stainless bezels, even though this is aluminum. (The larger heads of flashlights bump into things sometimes and the unfinished aluminum is not going to show the scratches like a black finished head would show.) The knurling on the light is just perfect, The rocket finned tailcap allows rock solid candle lighting not often accomplished with this heavy flashlights.

My only issue with my Husky is that when pressing the switch partially to get into momentary, I occasionally get flickering instead of steady light, or I have to press a second time to get a momentary that doesn't flicker. This isn't a big deal since I don't often use momentary, but the obsessive compulsive part of me wonders if another sample might do better in this regard. Perhaps, given the sample variations with this light, I should just count my blessings and stick with the one I have.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think you should send that one to me and get another one. :crackup:

Seriously tho, the flickering may subside after some use. Clicking of the switch may clean/remove oxide that may have formed on the contacts. Or, you might try getting some DeoxIt in there. That wouldn't hurt.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I occasionally get flickering instead of steady light, or I have to press a second time to get a momentary that doesn't flicker.

I have used three of these lights, and none of them flicker on momentary. Since you are happy with the light otherwise, I would play it safe, hang on to that one, and buy another one with good looking emitter, and try it. You'll most likely get one with a good switch, but if you happen to get a crappy tint or poor beam, you can always decide to keep your original one. Or, you might obtain the Husky Grail and get the best of both worlds!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I think you should send that one to me and get another one. :crackup:

Seriously tho, the flickering may subside after some use. Clicking of the switch may clean/remove oxide that may have formed on the contacts. Or, you might try getting some DeoxIt in there. That wouldn't hurt.

Lite-Me, you may be right. The more I use the switch, it seems the less often I am having a flickering problem with momentary. I have only had the light a day, so I will give it some more time to "break-in". Even then if this sample is not perfect, I will follow Turbo-Drive's suggestion and hold on to it while I try another. Fortunately, the HD had several more of these lights and a few others that looked like the LED was well centered.

As far as getting Deoxit into the switch, I am not sure how I would do that. I was afraid to remove the rubber switch cover for fear I might rip the rubber or not be able to get it back over the switch. Perhaps anybody who has tried to remove the rubber switch cover could advise me whether it is a job the technically challenged should try or not.

Off subject a bit, the rings in the beam are all predictable as to what causes them. The black donut around the hotspot is caused by the opening in the reflector and the gap between the reflector and the LED. If the LED is perfectly centered, the hot spot will appear to be perfectly centered in the middle of the black donut. The first yellow ring is caused by the reflector flat portion changing directions from a plane and becoming a cone. If the LED is not perfectly centered you will get multiple yellow concentric yellow rings at this point. The less centered the LED the more yellow rings and further apart they will appear. My LED is close to perfectly centered and there are 3 yellow rings so close together they appear almost as a single ring. At the outer border of the spill area there is another yellow ring where the reflector reaches the bezel. If the reflector weren't highly polished, I think most of these rings wouldn't be visible, but then you wouldn't have this beautiful well defined hotspot and wonderful throw, something that no other light I have tried can do so well especially at this price.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off subject a bit, the rings in the beam are all predictable as to what causes them. The black donut around the hotspot is caused by the opening in the reflector and the gap between the reflector and the LED. If the LED is perfectly centered, the hot spot will appear to be perfectly centered in the middle of the black donut. The first yellow ring is caused by the reflector flat portion changing directions from a plane and becoming a cone. If the LED is not perfectly centered you will get multiple yellow concentric yellow rings at this point. The less centered the LED the more yellow rings and further apart they will appear. My LED is close to perfectly centered and there are 3 yellow rings so close together they appear almost as a single ring. At the outer border of the spill area there is another yellow ring where the reflector reaches the bezel. If the reflector weren't highly polished, I think most of these rings wouldn't be visible, but then you wouldn't have this beautiful well defined hotspot and wonderful throw, something that no other light I have tried can do so well especially at this price.[/quote

Good points! What if that gap between the reflector and the LED was covered somehow with refective material???:thinking: I was thinking tin foil, but that may too simplistic!!:laughing:

Mike

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off subject a bit, the rings in the beam are all predictable as to what causes them. The black donut around the hotspot is caused by the opening in the reflector and the gap between the reflector and the LED. If the LED is perfectly centered, the hot spot will appear to be perfectly centered in the middle of the black donut. The first yellow ring is caused by the reflector flat portion changing directions from a plane and becoming a cone. If the LED is not perfectly centered you will get multiple yellow concentric yellow rings at this point. The less centered the LED the more yellow rings and further apart they will appear. My LED is close to perfectly centered and there are 3 yellow rings so close together they appear almost as a single ring. At the outer border of the spill area there is another yellow ring where the reflector reaches the bezel. If the reflector weren't highly polished, I think most of these rings wouldn't be visible, but then you wouldn't have this beautiful well defined hotspot and wonderful throw, something that no other light I have tried can do so well especially at this price.[/quote

Good points! What if that gap between the reflector and the LED was covered somehow with refective material???:thinking: I was thinking tin foil, but that may too simplistic!!:laughing:

Mike

Even if you could fill in the gap with reflective material as smooth and shiny as the reflector, you would at best reduce the size of the black donut that surrounds the hotspot, but still not get rid of the rings. I am not sure why they build the reflector with the wide flat plane at the bottom. You would think that a deeper cone design without the plane at the bottom of the reflector would have produced fewer rings. Perhaps the cost for that benefit would be too great. It would mean a much smaller hot spot and less spill, something most of us don't want to have. I'll live with my rings. At least mine are where they are supposed to be which means that my LED is also where it is supposed to be. Given the QC issues with this light, I am happy that I got one that is as good as it is. When you are using this baby outside, shining it at trees half way down the street, you don't see the rings, anyway.

Last edited:

GotLight

Newly Enlightened
Hello, New-bee Duane here,,,,,,,,

I was in need for a high end flashlight to use in my new part time Pizza Delivery job, I only work nights & a good light is needed. During my reaserch starting with E-bay, then onto the different new LED style's & then to manufacturers site's, I then stumbled upon this message board. My first thought was just how my people could a BB like this have that are active, well looks like ALOT ! ! And ton's of information, modification tricks, preference's, real world applications, test results & the such.....spent way too much time here, Including now, registering & adding a post myself ! !

My flash lights i have are mag's, 6 kinds, in my home the 5 cell - D size I have had for 25 years double's as a " Billy Club ", the shaft I have wrapped with base ball bat grip tape, for a very non-slip grip. sits near the front door. My favorite is a 3 cell - C size, nice benzle, skinny shaft, forward button, great feel & balance And it's Green. I have been using that for finding addresses on house's & street curbs, just not bright enough.
I'm looking for:
LED technology ( low energy & longevity )
Bright/blinding brightness ( possible self defense )
spot light/ long throw ( or adjustable beam )
Inexpensive ( if possible )
standard alkaline batt's ( simplicity )
Strike benzle ( possible self defense again )
Variable light modes ( just seems cool )
Durability
Ect.....

Was ready to buy a Eagle Tac T10L or led lenser p7 or MTE ssc p7

Still trying to figure out what might be best for this me & this application & saw the coments about this
Husky, home depo, 4w 2xD cree LED light for cheap $ $ , I stopped by HD & got it. Bigger than I initially wanted, but strong & looks mighty bright even in the daylight. The forward button works just like the mag's I was familiar with, good, no variable lighting features though. Larger size make's for a more realistic weapon than a 18650 size torch, I'm 6' 7" & my hands are huge, so the size might be advantageous I did the initial check of the bulb alignment & all 3 home depo had looked good, mine seems to have a tight beam, but the real test will be tonight's pizza run. Like a lot of folk's here said, If anything this is a powerfully handy 2xD flashlight for any purpose, so If it dosen't work out for the job I can return it to HD or keep it for other use's.

" I'll Be Back " ......... Duane

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw it today at home depot. Damn, it is huge. I didn't buy one. They had a 1w and a 3w luxeon older model that looked more ergonomic, but I didn't buy that, either.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, New-bee Duane here,,,,,,,,

I was in need for a high end flashlight to use in my new part time Pizza Delivery job, I only work nights & a good light is needed. During my reaserch starting with E-bay, then onto the different new LED style's & then to manufacturers site's, I then stumbled upon this message board. My first thought was just how my people could a BB like this have that are active, well looks like ALOT ! ! And ton's of information, modification tricks, preference's, real world applications, test results & the such.....spent way too much time here, Including now, registering & adding a post myself ! !

My flash lights i have are mag's, 6 kinds, in my home the 5 cell - D size I have had for 25 years double's as a " Billy Club ", the shaft I have wrapped with base ball bat grip tape, for a very non-slip grip. sits near the front door. My favorite is a 3 cell - C size, nice benzle, skinny shaft, forward button, great feel & balance And it's Green. I have been using that for finding addresses on house's & street curbs, just not bright enough.
I'm looking for:
LED technology ( low energy & longevity )
Bright/blinding brightness ( possible self defense )
spot light/ long throw ( or adjustable beam )
Inexpensive ( if possible )
standard alkaline batt's ( simplicity )
Strike benzle ( possible self defense again )
Variable light modes ( just seems cool )
Durability
Ect.....

Was ready to buy a Eagle Tac T10L or led lenser p7 or MTE ssc p7

Still trying to figure out what might be best for this me & this application & saw the coments about this
Husky, home depo, 4w 2xD cree LED light for cheap $ $ , I stopped by HD & got it. Bigger than I initially wanted, but strong & looks mighty bright even in the daylight. The forward button works just like the mag's I was familiar with, good, no variable lighting features though. Larger size make's for a more realistic weapon than a 18650 size torch, I'm 6' 7" & my hands are huge, so the size might be advantageous I did the initial check of the bulb alignment & all 3 home depo had looked good, mine seems to have a tight beam, but the real test will be tonight's pizza run. Like a lot of folk's here said, If anything this is a powerfully handy 2xD flashlight for any purpose, so If it dosen't work out for the job I can return it to HD or keep it for other use's.

" I'll Be Back " ......... Duane

I'll be surprised if you don't love this light for reading the house addresses. I tried mine tonight while in the car, and it was absolutely amazing how good it is. I like I how focused the hot spot is at long distances. You can read the address without the spill being too bright shining into the windows.

Jon S

Newly Enlightened
I bought four of these lights... they all looked centered but could not really tell for sure thru that dumb plastic shell... after testing them out, only one was centered, the rest were off... one was quite bad....

:eek:oo:

Status
Not open for further replies.