New AA Mod option * PICS added!!!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Kill-O-Zap:
Will the switch mount on the Mini Mag?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, finer threads than Mag; only a couple turns and it locks up 2/3 short...

Roy, did you just punch the lens out?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Yes! Punch it out with your finger! The lens and reflector come out through the front..pressure fit.

Added later:

Can someone tell be how to get the bulb out of this thing???????

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Roy:
Yes! Punch it out with your finger! The lens and reflector come out through the front..pressure fit.

Added later:

Can someone tell be how to get the bulb out of this thing???????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks, comes out just like the Sears 2AA Crafstman reflector.

The bulb is really stuck in there on mine too. I'll tell you how to get it out when I get done evaluating the stock light; feels like it may break on the way out.......

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Walmart finally got them.. My first sample was defective - it flickered when you move it around. I tried to determine if it was the switch, but it didn't seem to be, so I exchanged it.

The new sample works fine. Looks like there's enough depth for a LS but no removable bezel (like the craftsmann) - which means you'll have to find a way to mount the optics.

Truthfully, I may load this thing with a nichia array (3 maybe?). Even if I throw a LS in it, it's not gonna be better than a Legend with the same setup. Tailswitch momentary action (sux) will only work once the light is on.

All in all, an adequate deal for $8.........
cool.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
So if you can't get the bulb out without breaking it how do you change it? Buy a whole new bulb and reflector..? That seems wasteful. I mean you have to polish and then change the reflectors on some stage lights after 500 or so hours of use, well, under ideal conditions anyway but I don't think this light runs anywhere as hot as one of those stage bulbs
shocked.gif

DonL

Enlightened
Very slick looking light. The finish on the aluminum looks like a brushed or satin stainless steel.

Looks like a trip to Wally World is in order.

If anyone cooks up any mods...
wink.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, has anyone figured out how to take the bulb out to put in a LED?

My local Wal-Mart has this light, so if anyone would like me to pick them up one...drop me an email. My Wal-Mart even has it's big brother (I think it's either a 2D or 2C).

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Strange that no one cared when I mentioned this light a month ago here .
smile.gif

Find a better tailcap, and it may make for good mods. The tailcap isn't just without momentary on, but it also has too much of a lip around it, making it (for me) uncomfortable to activate. Plus, as mentioned above, the fact that it comes on on the return stroke makes for an unacceptable time delay IMO.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
Hmmm. Strange that no one cared when I mentioned this light a month ago here .
smile.gif

Find a better tailcap, and it may make for good mods. The tailcap isn't just without momentary on, but it also has too much of a lip around it, making it (for me) uncomfortable to activate. Plus, as mentioned above, the fact that it comes on on the return stroke makes for an unacceptable time delay IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HEY, thanks for the FIRST review! I bought this light when traveling a month ago, because of your review. With the exception of the "momentary on" switch, it is a nice light and nice tailcap! I went into a Wal-mart in western Mass, about 2000 miles away from home, to look at flashlights. OK, I need help!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Strange that no one cared when I mentioned this light a month ago here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I saw your post.You did'nt post a pic.
Anyone seen the Brinkmann Elite anywhere? I tried a net search and came up empty.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciated the earlier post too, then forgot it. I guess it's the pictures. I do not know of any other area on the Net where conversations are so well illustrated with photographs --it's wonderful.

Maybe that's why we all like lights so much -- we're captivated by _seeing_.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by hank:
I appreciated the earlier post too, then forgot it. I guess it's the pictures. I do not know of any other area on the Net where conversations are so well illustrated with photographs --it's wonderful.

Maybe that's why we all like lights so much -- we're captivated by _seeing_.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, I must get a digital camera. Once I get some extra money, I think I'll post a thread on the Cafe forum to find out what's a good buy.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
still...what about removing the bulb?? I don't want to buy one unless it's possible.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well you're not going to like this, but I broke the bulb again trying to somehow twist it out.
mad.gif
This is on top of the initial bulb break, when I tried to figure out how to remove it in the Walmart parking lot, and promptly marched back in for an exchange.

Yes, I'm the kind of person who will rip a flashlight open right in the parking lot, before even starting my car. I need help.
shocked.gif

I'm wondering if it might be a longlife bulb, and after it goes you're just supposed to buy another flashlight.
confused.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...that doesn't sound good. Besides, is it even possible for ANY bulb to have that long of a life?

Has anyone tried contacting the manufacturer directly about this?

[update]I just called Garrity and spoke with a lady in Customer Service. It sounded like she had NO IDEA this light even existed let alone how to get the bulb out. So, I sent her an email with a link to this topic so she could see the pictures. She said she or someone would get back to me to tell me how to replace the bulb.

Who knows, maybe we'll get another manufacturer as a member here.
smile.gif

[/update]

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Does anyone have an e-maill address for Garrity? Looks like we need to ask the maker how to change the bulb!

Frank Schwab

Newly Enlightened
The bulb pushes out backwards (i.e., push on the glass, and it comes out towards the batteries). It is a very tight fit. The solder button that contacts the positive nub on the battery is actually the bottom of the bulb.

Just modified the one I bought - managed (with some garage machining) to get a MadMax-ADJ installed in it with an LS. It looks like the LS optics will fit fine in the head of the light, as long as you use the plastic lens to hold the optics in place. I'm working on modding the reflector just to see how it'll work.

/frank