New Arc Light???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 123 light being auctioned...I see Gransee took notice of this light...will Arc be producing this light???

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, the tiny-123. Yes, Larry was kind enough to let me test one for a week. I then posted some comments on my experience (somewhere here on the CPF). Basically, we will not be making it or anything similiar until technology improves. I am concerned that the package is so small it left out several features I feel are essential such as a tail switch, better optics, etc. Funny thing is, if it was smaller, those items could be sacrificed for the sake of convienence. But it is too big to fit on a keychain (even the Arc-AAA is too big in my opinion).

I wanted to make sure my viewpoint was not being affected by any "not invented here" syndrome so I looked at each feature as objectively as possible.

This sums it up: It is too big and too small to fit in an ideal niche.

Larry has demostrated some excellent work and I hope we see more from this angle. Collectors should check out the auction going on for one of these lights. You can own a rare piece of excellent engineering.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter, have you surveyed many other users about whether those features are essential?

I personally don't feel the tail switch is essential. I think it makes the current Arc LS too big. If I buy an Arc LS then I'll certainly get the twist cap for it. I have to say the LS is a nice light but my interest in it dropped considerably when I saw the thread about Larry's light. Larry's is the small 123 that I lust after now. And the bigger and fancier 123 light that I keep drooling over is the McLux. I have to say that compared to those other two, it's the LS that's both too big and too small. Of course I love my Arc AAA I'm eager to see the LS4.

Larry made an even smaller light using a CR2 cell. A commercial one would have to run at reduced power to avoid overheating, but would still be impressive (like a Micro Illuminator).

Of course no light is ever small enough, but the Arc AAA is not at all bothersome on a keychain if you have more than 5 or so keys. Larry's CR2 light is noticably shorter (though thicker) than the AAA. Perhaps it could work out better on a keychain than the 123 version.

Here's Larry's "family picture" (Arc LS, Larry's 123 light, Larry's CR2 light, Arc AAA, Arc AAA with N cell tailpack, Leatherman Micra). I want one of each!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

site1024.JPG

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't know if Larry made that particular N pack himself, though he certainly could have. I know that DSpeck made and sold some. A few are floating around. I was tempted to buy one but they're pretty expensive and I got used to the size of the AAA.

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Just had a flash looking at that pic and thinking about
just how far flashlights have come lately!

I mean for years the M@g-Light Mini-Mag was
the best light in a small package (IMHO) but
to think just how big it would look in that line up
and All of them would probably be brighter, Too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't knock the Minimag too much, it's still a nice light. I have one next to my bed and use it frequently. It's quite a bit brighter than the single LED Nichia lights, and it's much easier to turn on than the tiny Arc or CMG lights because of its nice wide bezel. It's under 10 bucks brand new and you can get them everywhere. It was a well designed light in its day. Mag has apparently gotten interested in LED lights. If that's true, they are probably Arc's scariest potential competitor.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
... Mag (...) are probably Arc's scariest potential competitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, nemesis would be more appropriate, don't you think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the clickie tailcaps a lot....no need to open up the light every once in a while to clean up the gunk that accumalates on the threads due to repeated on-off cycles and it allows me to use it in quick momentary burst.

paulr: i agree! my mini maglite was my first "real" light, and i carried it for 6 years before finding cpf. the light output might leave a lot to be desired, but the body of the light itself is very robust and rugged. it still works, and though its been sitting un-used it'll be put back into service once i get an opalec newbeam for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.