New Collimating 3C flashlight on ebay..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theres a new one (not the 3AAA) one, but a 3 C one on ebay now. It has a side button switch. Looks kind of neat. Nice size. Wonder if it's any better than the 3aaa one? I wonder if fraen optics would fit in there??

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that light too.. It kind of looks like a Mag 3C with the head missing - then a sleeve screwed onto the original threads.

I couldn't tell what optic the light had. But I did measure a "tabless" Fraen, and it's 1.055 which is the same as I measured a Mag C at the battery opening (I have no unmodified C's to check from the top). So the Fraen Looks to be a perfect fit (at least in the body of a C cell Mag)..

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3609279862&category=16037

I belive it's a brand new unit not a modded mag. As there was another collimator flashlight using the same image icon that this one is using, only it was around the size of an arc and used 3 aaa's side by side.

Also, is the fraen optics on 1W's any tighter/brighter beam than the nx05? I don't think 30mm would fit this light..

B@rt

Flashaholic
Since this light is only 1 1/8 " in diameter, I doubt it is using a Fraen optic too. My guess is it uses a normal NX-05 optic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The Fraen narrow beam optic has a 10 degree beam divirgence when used with a white LS, but 12 degrees is typical.

Hope this helps,

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be an Aitec collimator light - they have their own optics as well.

aitec_at2005l_tab.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I doubt it is fraen in there, but was wondering if fraen would fit (mod it). What is the typical beam degree of the nx05?

It could be the aitec brand if that is what the old collimator 3aaa light was. I belive ledmusem has a review on it, need to check that out again. I wonder how thier optic performs...

any route it might be interesing to mod this if better than nx05 optics could fit in there. or maybe put a 5w with some sort of recharable batt pack??

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's the review of the Aitec Collimator from the Led Museum. Scroll down the left side of the screen to the "Coming Soon or Newly Added..." to find the review.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`m almost confident that`s the updated, more "rugged looking" version of Aitec`s AT2000. I was sent one of those a little while back, have yet to get round to its review but it`s there on the waiting list.

Custom made optics, direct drive (!) Luxeon LED, not bad colour and good brightness but the custom lens leaves a lot to be desired, and does amplify the irregularities in the colour spread. Shine it through a SureFire beam spreader though and the colour is about as close to daylight as you can get - not green or blue.

I havn`t run it for any extended periods of time (5 mins most) but I`m afraid to do so in all honesty. The poor little 1.2 watt LED gets a screaming 1.05 amps worth of current through it with fresh alkaline cells. This can only drop of course, but there isn`t a whole lot of heatsinking from what I can see so it may not last very long if I ran a constant burn time test. I`ll see - once the review is done....

But it sure is bright! More of a flood than most optics-laden Luxeon LEDs, and I`m sure there`s one or two various mods that have been done recently with 1 watt LEDs that may outshine it (better optics) but for a commercial one-watter, it`s got to be among the brightest, at least initially.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif