New Defiant ArmorMax Lights at Home Depot!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, this thread is not about the 550 lumen 3C model that has been out for a while, or the 493 lumen 3C model with the larger head that came after it. I just got back from HD and they had 3 new Defiant lights. First and for most, a 3D model rated at 590 lumens, a 3C model rated at 224, and a 2AA that puts out 70. These are a bit different than than the other 3C models. All of them have three modes, high, low, and unfortunately, strobe, but they also come with rubber guards that you slip over the head and tail of the lights! They are called LED ArmorMax lights. I picked up the 3D and 2AA models and have just started playing with them. They are made like tanks, have better knurling than the "older" models, and the finish on them is a bit better than the others I have. I will try to post some photos a little later today!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Ive been looking for the larger head 3C model, but it never showed up.

Ill look on Sunday, when I go by Home Depot, but wont be holding my breath that they will have any new Defiant's.

If these are anything like the Brinkmann Armormax models, then they should be pretty good.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the mode switching/interface work?

It is a reverse clicky and will go from high-low-strobe as you turn it off and on. You can also half press on the switch to change modes once on. The strobe can be avoided easily if you do not want it.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I was asked picked up one of the Defiant 3D ArmorMax lights for a fellow flashaholic who really liked my 3C Super Thrower. I had no idea it would be such an ordeal since my 3C was sitting in a display box in the middle of the electrical supplies. Customer service was of no help despite their inventory showing they had 6 3D's in stock; they were just as helpful when I asked about getting another 3C -again despite supposedly having 35 in stock. I was wandering the tool section when one of the sales associates asked if I needed anything and he practically jumped at the chance to help, he started pulling down boxes and low and behold he found the 35 3C's in a box right in front of the box of 3D's.

Side by side the 3D seems huge -especially with the rubber bumpers on, the reflector is just as wide as the one on the 3C but it is a good bit more shallow so it doesn't have as tight a hot spot. The switch seemed a little bit flaky on the 3D as well, but I haven't had a chance to really investigate that.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I just tried a few out....they put out almost no LIGHT for their size compared to other options.

They seem to be a poor man's version of the poor man's version (Rayovac Indestructible) of a consumer LED light.

The feel and light from the Indestructibles was better, which, considering that the Indestructible wasn't a great light OTHER than its feel, also having **** poor light output, etc... the Defiants are not worth looking at, for me at least.

The Rayovacs seem to have potential as hosts for P60 drop-ins. If the Defiants work for that too, maybe they can find a niche.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried a few out....they put out almost no LIGHT for their size compared to other options.

They seem to be a poor man's version of the poor man's version (Rayovac Indestructible) of a consumer LED light.

The feel and light from the Indestructibles was better, which, considering that the Indestructible wasn't a great light OTHER than its feel, also having **** poor light output, etc... the Defiants are not worth looking at, for me at least.

The Rayovacs seem to have potential as hosts for P60 drop-ins. If the Defiants work for that too, maybe they can find a niche.

The Rayovac D cell light puts out 140 lumens. The Defiant D cell is 590! It blows it off the map! The AA versions of the Rayovac and Defiant are 70 and 100 lumens respectfully and you cannot tell the difference by looking at the beams. I will agree that the AA version could have been made to put out more light (on both). Which two did you try?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The evidence suggests the low mode is 50%; kind of disappointing given what kind of runtime you could get from 3 D cells and a rational low mode..

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The evidence suggests the low mode is 50%; kind of disappointing given what kind of runtime you could get from 3 D cells and a rational low mode..

From what I can see, that is probably accurate. Could be better...could be worse! I have a few lights where you can hardly see a difference between high and low.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was asked picked up one of the Defiant 3D ArmorMax lights for a fellow flashaholic who really liked my 3C Super Thrower. I had no idea it would be such an ordeal since my 3C was sitting in a display box in the middle of the electrical supplies. Customer service was of no help despite their inventory showing they had 6 3D's in stock; they were just as helpful when I asked about getting another 3C -again despite supposedly having 35 in stock. I was wandering the tool section when one of the sales associates asked if I needed anything and he practically jumped at the chance to help, he started pulling down boxes and low and behold he found the 35 3C's in a box right in front of the box of 3D's.

Side by side the 3D seems huge -especially with the rubber bumpers on, the reflector is just as wide as the one on the 3C but it is a good bit more shallow so it doesn't have as tight a hot spot. The switch seemed a little bit flaky on the 3D as well, but I haven't had a chance to really investigate that.

The switch on my 3D model is flakey also. If I cannot fix it, I am going to exchange it tomorrow.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
The switch on my 3D model is flakey also. If I cannot fix it, I am going to exchange it tomorrow.

Rumor is it is a problem with the o-ring interfering with the tail cap connection, seems like if you really crank down on the tail cap it overcomes the issue but I still really haven't had a chance to tear it apart and investigate.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rumor is it is a problem with the o-ring interfering with the tail cap connection, seems like if you really crank down on the tail cap it overcomes the issue but I still really haven't had a chance to tear it apart and investigate.

Apparently on mine, the problem was the assembly that the LED is on. After it did not come on using a piece of metal over the - end of the battery and the rear edge of the light, I screwed off the head. The metal assembly that the LED is on was loose and not screwed in all of the way. It has worked ever since.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Dont like Rear clickies on these larger lights. The 3C was boasting around 200 lumens and the 3D about 600 lumens. Also dont like the strobe mode. Ill probably pass.

The Brinkmann Armormax are more interesting to me. And they have a 186500 model as well.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of the 3C's yesterday just to have the full collection! :naughty: After owning these for a few days I thought I would give a short rundown of what I like and dislike about them. I will start with the positives. First of all, they seem like they are built very solid and will put up with a lot of abuse. This makes them great lights for use in a car, truck, toolkit, etc. If accurate, the runtime on them is good. Three hours for the AA model, and 18 for the C and D's. This is the ratings on the package for the high mode. They give no runtime for low. I have no way of knowing if they are regulated, however. All three have a nice white tint and nice beams, although for some reason the C models beam is a bit ringy. The D model, my favorite, is very bright! All three have low modes which are decent, but could have been made a bit lower. Maximum lumen ratings on them are 590 for the D, 224 for the C, and 70 for the AA. Nothing is perfect, however, and there will always be things we do not like about lights we purchase. The three modes on the C and D models cannot be skipped. You turn them on and it comes up with the mode after the last that was used. All three are high-low-strobe, but the AA model allows you to skip the strobe. If you turn it off for over a few seconds, then turn it back on, it will start on high. I am not sure why just the AA model was designed this way. I also think they could have made the AA model with a bit more output, maybe 150 lumens and wonder why they did not use the same LED in the C model like the earlier models that were around before the holidays. We would have had a 500 lumen C cell ArmorMax. When the rubber cover is put over the tail, the switch is hard to activate with your thumb. All in all I think these are great brick and mortar lights and I am glad I added them to my collection!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the cost for the 3D and the 3C lights? No one has mentioned the cost yet. I'd love to see the 3D light if it is around $25 or under. Otherwise, I can get a 2 pack of 3C lights that are 500 lumens from Costco for under $30. If the 3D light runs for 18 hours on high, then it is probably drawing about 1 amp an hour. If low is at 50%, that would be around 500 mAh.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the cost for the 3D and the 3C lights? No one has mentioned the cost yet. I'd love to see the 3D light if it is around $25 or under. Otherwise, I can get a 2 pack of 3C lights that are 500 lumens from Costco for under $30. If the 3D light runs for 18 hours on high, then it is probably drawing about 1 amp an hour. If low is at 50%, that would be around 500 mAh.

The 3D is $29.99 and 3C $24.99. In my opinion, the D model is a better value.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I picked up one of the 3C's yesterday just to have the full collection! :naughty: After owning these for a few days I thought I would give a short rundown of what I like and dislike about them. I will start with the positives. First of all, they seem like they are built very solid and will put up with a lot of abuse. This makes them great lights for use in a car, truck, toolkit, etc. If accurate, the runtime on them is good. Three hours for the AA model, and 18 for the C and D's. This is the ratings on the package for the high mode. They give no runtime for low. I have no way of knowing if they are regulated, however. All three have a nice white tint and nice beams, although for some reason the C models beam is a bit ringy. The D model, my favorite, is very bright! All three have low modes which are decent, but could have been made a bit lower. Maximum lumen ratings on them are 590 for the D, 224 for the C, and 70 for the AA. Nothing is perfect, however, and there will always be things we do not like about lights we purchase. The three modes on the C and D models cannot be skipped. You turn them on and it comes up with the mode after the last that was used. All three are high-low-strobe, but the AA model allows you to skip the strobe. If you turn it off for over a few seconds, then turn it back on, it will start on high. I am not sure why just the AA model was designed this way. I also think they could have made the AA model with a bit more output, maybe 150 lumens and wonder why they did not use the same LED in the C model like the earlier models that were around before the holidays. We would have had a 500 lumen C cell ArmorMax. When the rubber cover is put over the tail, the switch is hard to activate with your thumb. All in all I think these are great brick and mortar lights and I am glad I added them to my collection!

Mikekoz,
Does the Defiant ArmorMax 3d cell have a better throw than the Defiant 493 3c cell?
Thanks.
Ted

gradio

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how the 2AA compares to the Rayovac Indestructible 2AA that HD carries.
I recently bought 3 of the Rayovac's, was pressing on time so didn't get to check out other HD lights.