NEW- ENERGIZER ALUMINUM 1 WATT- 1XAA LED FLASHLIGHT(lots of pics)

mhubble

Enlightened
Are you able to switch out the tail cap for an orange one if need be.

No, the one in the energizer is completely different from anything else Ive ever seen. Its really deep.

Also I got the head off of mine today. Replaced the plastic lens with a glass lens, 18mm. Wasnt too hard to get off. I didnt have to heat it, but I did use a a pair of channel locks. I wrapped the head of the light with a thin sheet of cork.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

I picked up a 1AA on the way home from work. Not bad for $19 out the door. Color tint is more natural than I was expecting, not as blue as my other cheap LED lights. Forward clickie is nice, but its way too easy to press and illuminate. It lights up with very light pressure, so be careful how its placed in a pocket or backpack. I have developed an Iron-thumb from my 6p, the switch on this light feels like a feather by comparison. Shirt clip is much less obtrusive than I was expecting, makes a nice anti-roll feature.

Very nice machining, thread quality and O-ring smoothness. On par with my Surefire in that regard.

I noticed a little LED centering variation between the 5-6 lights they had at target, so pick the one with the LED thats the most concentric to the reflector.

Cheers!! Gotta run

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
cool let us know how it goes.....

no dice it lit up fine for 2-3 seconds and then went dim. Driver probably kicking into some kind of protection circuit. I'm back to 1.2V NiMh cells and all is well.

Strange how others have reported blue tints. Mine is no where near the blueside of the spectrum. Slightly more yellow than my 6P dropin, slightly more yellow and less blue than than my Cree task force and way more yellow/white than my nite-ize 3-emitter minimag drop in.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, i wasnt able to go there tonight maybe tomorrow before i pick up the kids.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just a little update on the 1AA. Its a nice little light overall. Not excessively bright, perfect for close proximity use.

I was scoping out a Seoul SSC mod and trying to get the bezel/head off and its glued SOLID. I heated it with a hairdryer (too hot to touch for more than 1-2 seconds)and clamped it between some wood blocks in my bench vise. It would not budge. I put a small scratch in it and hence gave up. Its very well glued together.

I was running it under cold tap water to cool it back down and when I opened it back up, water had managed to get through the switch-cap boot and into the light. I ran the light under the water faucet for maybe 5-6 seconds. Not enough water to cause any damage, but enough water in a short amount of time for me to completely disagree with the "weatherproof" claims on the packaging.

just a little heads up... don't get the AA wet, and think twice about using this light as a mod host. Its probably hit or miss depending on how much glue they use at the factory.

Last edited:

mhubble

Enlightened
Its very well glued together.

I must have been lucky with mine. I put it in a vice and wrapped a piece of rubber around the head and then used channel locks and it came right off. There was alot of dried glue residue in the threads. It would be easy to mod but the reflector would have to be drilled out and Ive never had much luck with that.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool just did.....dude you need to make up your mind....first off you tease me with the new torch and now you show me this one.....are you planning on getting that one as well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The 2xAA version I saw at Target tonight was definitely a Rebel emitter.

Now I'm tempted to get the the 2AA. My original plan was to mod the 1AA with a seoul P4, 14500+driver and finish up with a ~60-90L EDC. But since I can't get the little bugger apart. That leaves me with the 1AA and my modded 6P... 30L or 200L nothing in between.:thinking:

What do you all think? Should I get this eveready 2AA or the RayoVac sportsman extreme at wal-mart? FWIW, this light will be replacing my 2AA minimag.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have that same rayovac and it lasted a month with light use. What do you think about the single AA version is it worth getting as an edc light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I used to have that same rayovac and it lasted a month with light use. What do you think about the single AA version is it worth getting as an edc light.

So far mine has held up very well EDC'ing it for a week and using it nightly around the house. IMHO a week isn't really long enough to tell though. I crushed it a little too hard today in my bench vise, and the beam was a little ob-round as a result:duh2:. So, I chucked it back up and crushed it back the other way:thumbsup:... problem solved. So its definitely a tough little light, at least physically. I mean... I CRANKED on it, enough to hear the wood blocks start to yield and splinter. Despite my vise-abuse the light still has a very hefty / rugged feel.

The lens is plastic:(, although its not the most easily scratched, still its not as scratch resistant as a glass lens. That was the other mod I wanted to do.

I have been very vocal about my skepticism towards click switches. So far though this switch has worked great (despite being water logged), and I am quickly realizing the convenience of a forward clicky.

Excellent color light tint and beam-to-flood transition. Even though at ~35L its not the brightest, still for close proximity use its very nice. Bright enough, without blinding you when your eyes are dilated at night.

The driver has pretty good regulation. I get about 1:45 of consistent brightness, on pathetic 1700mAh NiMH. The last 10 minutes the color turns yellow and the light cuts out completely.

IMHO its 2 biggest strengths are the forward clicky and color tint.
IMHO its 2 biggest weaknesses are its plastic lens and poor waterproofing.

Still, for $19 out the door its hard to beat.

**edit**
My light developed a noticeable random flicker tonight, not unlike a blowing candle. I did the usual, swapped the battery, cleaned the contacts and threads, re-seated the tail cap. No dice. I noticed moisture collecting inside on the lens... bad sign. I knew the light had taken in watter, but the fact that it managed to work its way up into the head was a bad sign. So I removed the cell and dried out the inside of the body and tailcap with a hairdryer. Let it cool and repeated the cycle a couple times. Problem solved. I'll say this... its certainly a resilient little light. The light was scalding hot throughout the hairdryer sessions.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks that helped me in getting one now.......plan on stopping by target tonight after the kids have fun at Chuckys for games and pizza.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I'm still dying over this:

"Based on the blood splatter pattern, I'd say Colonel Mustard did it with the lead pipe at the front door."

:crackup: :laughing:

I was laughing to the point of crying ... and cried to the point where I had to leave the room for a tissue. :D

As for the light, I saw this one at Target ... but have yet to see any Cree or Rebel versions.

"I've got 'better' lights with Crees and SSCs. Still, I keep looking at these 'outdated' lights. What the heck is wrong with me?"

You're not alone, Night Owl. I do the same thing ... but last time through, I didn't buy ANY clearance lights .... I even passed up on the rechargeable spotlight for $5. I'm so proud of myself! :eek: